Short random freezes with looping sound after switching to Windows

fiskmaas
Go to solution Solved by fiskmaas,

Ok, so it happened again, but somewhat different this time. Video froze like before, but the sound became more choppy and slowed down, as opposed to looping like the video. Not sure what to make of it...

EDIT: Seems the power supply was the culprit. Have had the system running with another PSU for a few hours now and it seems fine.

Hi LTT Forum,

So I'm getting alot of random freezes lately and I'm not sure what causes it. It resembles this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJFVgOg34E with both audio and video freezing like the video, but it doesn't persist and goes away within a few seconds.

This happens randomly as much as twice per hour and as low as once or twice per day.

I've made a couple changes to my main system recently. Firstly I changed from a GTX 1060 to a RTX 2070, secondly I've gone from Ubuntu to Windows 10 at the time of changing graphics card. Now it started after this so one would think the issue would be either the graphics card or the windows installation, but no. 

I've tried reinstalling with a different ISO and changed graphics card back to the 1060 with no real luck. The problem persists.

I also ran memtest for a little over an hour with no errors.

Specs:

Corsair RM750X V2

ASUS Prime Z370-A

Intel Core i5 8600K

MSI ARMOR RTX 2070

Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVME

4x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3000MHZ CL15

At this time I have no idea what is causing it. I am still troubleshooting but would love some input on this.

Cheers

Could it be an overclock/XMP issue? Have had it overclocked to both 4.9 and 5 ghz stable on linux but thinking it could cause issues in windows maybe?

Ran another memtest during the night and showed no errors

Updated bios and hence reset the overclock. Running with XMP only now (no oc) and has been stable so far.

Ok, so it happened again, but somewhat different this time. Video froze like before, but the sound became more choppy and slowed down, as opposed to looping like the video. Not sure what to make of it...

EDIT: Seems the power supply was the culprit. Have had the system running with another PSU for a few hours now and it seems fine.