Wanting to build my own pc, just need help of the components and capabilities of every single thing I need

Hey guys how you doing?

So seen a couple video from austin evans and Linus.

Just wanted to build my own pc for video editing(also have a background in Computer Science long time ago).

Wanted asus for a mother board.

Confuse of what to choose:

Intel i7 or Amd? -

if Intel? Looking at HDD with Optane ( kinda bend a little with ssd on this)

If Amd( don’t want the competing optane they have) 

HDD for storage and SSD for OS or a faster workflow when Editing.

Rams? -Don’t exactly know what type of compatibility I’m looking here (does Ram have a compatibility with mother board or anything else’s?)

: need 32 Ram or any suggestions would appreciate it.

Thats far how I understand what I need.

Need some help on building my own Pc for Video editing.

Thank you in Advance and much love and enjoy your day. 

-Kevin C. Diez

Budget? Location? Purpose?

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

Do you have a monitor already or are you factoring that into the price? Video editing could really like/benefit from 32GB but it depends on what level of resolution you are talking about. Are you using Adobe Premiere Pro? If you are then Intel is significantly faster in that program due to its QuickSync encoding on its onboard CPU graphics. Also you'd be surprised how many good motherboards out there that aren't made by Asus. Plus SSD's are definitely an option rn. 500GB of SSD space can be had for under $70 and 1TB of SSD is now quite close to the $100 mark. You also might want a graphics card as well. Though if its just video editing I suppose its not essential. But as above budget, location, purpose. What do you exactly want to do with it.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

A budget is necessary.

What video editing software? At what resolution(s)?

Any other uses?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

23 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

Budget? Location? Purpose?

I’m looking at spending 1,500 for everything chair monitor and everything that the pc needs 

Creating a content around what I love to do.

Just my housework.

Thanks by the way Vexicus.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:58 AM, Albal_156 said:

Do you have a monitor already or are you factoring that into the price? Video editing could really like/benefit from 32GB but it depends on what level of resolution you are talking about. Are you using Adobe Premiere Pro? If you are then Intel is significantly faster in that program due to its QuickSync encoding on its onboard CPU graphics. Also you'd be surprised how many good motherboards out there that aren't made by Asus. Plus SSD's are definitely an option rn. 500GB of SSD space can be had for under $70 and 1TB of SSD is now quite close to the $100 mark. You also might want a graphics card as well. Though if its just video editing I suppose its not essential. But as above budget, location, purpose. What do you exactly want to do with it.

No.

Not really looking 4k right now 1080 would be my best option, maybe in the future I upgrade it but for now I just want to edit my videos in 1080p x 720p and yes I’m using adobe( I’ll take your word for it, also optane is still new what would be your suggestion ssd with hdd? or just hdd and optane?)

+ : still don’t know the compatibility around motherboard so would love any suggestion on motherboard in Intel base PC.

Purpose and Price range : $1,500 for everything. Monitor etc...

Mainly I’ll be doing time laps (which need lots of space for the pictures)

Thats all I can think right now in which the PC will have large work load but mostly a faster rendering speed  and a better workflow for when I’m editing (don’t like the old i3 Intel base laptop that I have. When I edit its choppy ,(also did the copy proxy to make it not choppy but still the same outcome) it takes time to render and really slow on the adobe encoder to that’s all the problem I encounter right now in editing my video in adobe premiere pro cc).

Usually I do my own creative thing so what ever hits me or what ever do I love to create would be the limitation so not really looking to after effects right now ( probably not in the future) 

Just a strong PC that can handle my creative process.

If so you guys already using youtube or other platforms to get your word out their and have use adobe premiere pro cc as a software, and encounter some problems in using a slow laptop or pc if theirs anything I should know more about I would appreciate it.

Thank you and have a great day guys.

Hey Brob  thanks for replying.

Its adobe premiere Pro CC

Just the video editing one not really looking at after effects. I might consider it if their is something that I want to create but not necessarily right now I might bent in the future but that’s just going to cost me more time in my busy schedule.

So just a Strong, fast and durable pc that improves my workflow (faster data transfer Photos and stuff) in editing 1080 p x 720p 

I will upgrade in the future( to 4k or higher) so that’s noted ?. Faster rendering time.

Thats about it that’s all I can think right now on the problems I encounter in editing videos in Premiere pro cc in a i3 intel base Hp laptop. 

Lots left over for monitor, etc.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($239.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($89.99 @ Corsair) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($99.95 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Corsair) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($106.99 @ Other World Computing) 
Total: $980.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-26 18:30 EDT-0400

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Since your budget is $1500 and that includes monitor (peripherals as well?) then I'd go AMD. If you were on an i3 you will really just beneft from having the extra cores, threads, clock speed and instructions per clock improvements and Intel is still more expensive over AMD options. Is a good graphics card important to you since you won't be gaming (I don't you if you do any of this.) How big do you want this PC to be?

1 hour ago, Albal_156 said:

Wouldn't really recommend a TN panel for editing tbh. Especially as IPS can be had for a good price now.

Ok, Im a real noob in the monitor department so I just chose something that seemed decent?

@KevinD29Are you going to be doing any gaming? If so you may want to upgrade to an NVIDIA Super or a 5700 series card. Let me know if you need any keyboards mice or another monitor. Theres also room in the budget to step up to x570 or to go to Ryzen 3rd Gen if possible or to get a 144Hz monitor. Though if gaming is not a care of yours then 144Hz is probably not needed.

1 hour ago, Albal_156 said:

@KevinD29Are you going to be doing any gaming? If so you may want to upgrade to an NVIDIA Super or a 5700 series card. Let me know if you need any keyboards mice or another monitor. Theres also room in the budget to step up to x570 or to go to Ryzen 3rd Gen if possible or to get a 144Hz monitor. Though if gaming is not a care of yours then 144Hz is probably not needed.

not planning to. 

I really don’t like the case. I can choose my own case on right?( with just the same atx mid tower,  don’t exactly know the compatibility but I have a case in mind).

Ok will reach back to you guys on what i pick( just need time to process some stuff)

thanks for that parts so I can see what I’m I working with. 

Thanks

Yeah case is really your choice just needs to be compatible with motherboard and graphics card.

Did you want the tower to be quite small or were you not fussed? Also if you don't want tempered glass cases tend to be cheaper as well.

Why a 2nd gen cpu on a 3rd gen motherboard?

Well you could be free to upgrade to Zen2 plus you could get PCI-E 4.0 as well. You could do either motherboard or CPU 3700X for example tbh. Depends what you want

I'd recommend something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: Acer VG271 Pbmiipx 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1416.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-27 23:37 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

3 minutes ago, Albal_156 said:

Problems with your build...

1. Why going for a b450 board when you can get a decent x570 board for the same price.
  2. Zen 2 works well with 3600mhz ram. You can upgrade to a 3600mhz kit for around $30 cheaper.
  3. Slower 5400rpm drive. 7200rpm drives can be had for way less.
  4. Rtx 2060 isn't needed.
  5. Not a great PSU.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Not a great PSU why? Didn't notice that was 5400RPM actually. Plus RAM speed is one thing but CAS Latency is another. 3200MHz CL16 is the same as 3600MHz Cl19 really. There isn't much between them. Plus 3200 is supported out of the box.

14 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

I'd recommend something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: Acer VG271 Pbmiipx 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1416.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-27 23:37 EDT-0400

is mushkin make good ssd? 

In my mind right now Samsung (just because they are really we’ll branded) 

Both brands are the same right? (In perspective of creating a good product in ssd)

7 hours ago, KevinD29 said:

is mushkin make good ssd? 

In my mind right now Samsung (just because they are really we’ll branded) 

Both brands are the same right? (In perspective of creating a good product in ssd)

Samsung drives are overpriced.

Yes that mushkin drive is a pretty good.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X