Pixel 3a xl or Samsung galaxy S10e

Hey y'all,

I'm planning on getting a new phone because my axon 7 is about to kick the bucket anytime soon. I want to go with a cheaper phone and saw that the pixel 3a xl is a good fit for my needs. Right now, the S10e is currently $550 dollars on Amazon, and I am wondering if it worth the extra $70 dollars for the upgraded hardware. My use for the phone probably won't surpass youtube and pokemon go on the occasion. The 3a xl apparently still has the better camera according to some reviews I read, and the battery life is much higher. I feel like the only drawback to getting the pixel would be that the quality of material used on the phone is not as protective as the s10e. But I think I could just get a nice case and screen protector. If anyone has input on how much better the battery life is on the pixel and the difference between the cameras that would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, any input would be all I need to make a decision. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Earn said:

Hey y'all,

I'm planning on getting a new phone because my axon 7 is about to kick the bucket anytime soon. I want to go with a cheaper phone and saw that the pixel 3a xl is a good fit for my needs. Right now, the S10e is currently $550 dollars on Amazon, and I am wondering if it worth the extra $70 dollars for the upgraded hardware. My use for the phone probably won't surpass youtube and pokemon go on the occasion. The 3a xl apparently still has the better camera according to some reviews I read, and the battery life is much higher. I feel like the only drawback to getting the pixel would be that the quality of material used on the phone is not as protective as the s10e. But I think I could just get a nice case and screen protector. If anyone has input on how much better the battery life is on the pixel and the difference between the cameras that would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, any input would be all I need to make a decision. Thanks! 

I own the Pixel 3a and two of my family members have the S10e, which I helped set up and played around with a bit. Both are pretty great phones but in my personal opinion, I'd give the edge to the Pixel. Yes, it's plastic and missing a few features like wireless charging and water resistance. But my main goal was a great software experience and a support lifecycle that would be consistent for more than a year. And my uses are very light, much like what you're describing. Battery life is stellar, even though it's the smaller one of the two, and overall it suits my needs perfectly. It's a barebones phone that does the basics without all the other stuff; not for everyone but definitely worth it for light and casual users. Camera quality is pretty good, especially their 'night sight' option. But I don't use the camera hardly at all, except to take pictures of my cat or the occasional family photo.

S10e is still a great device, and at $550 that's a pretty awesome price. And my family members have liked it and I have no qualms about it. But I know Samsung and after the hype has died down and a new Galaxy device hits the shelves, it might be forgotten about. Or not, who knows? I guess it'll be up to you to decide what feature set is more important, but either phone should do ya fine...I'd just personally choose the Pixel just because I know I'll be getting consistent updates for at least three years.

41 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I own the Pixel 3a and two of my family members have the S10e, which I helped set up and played around with a bit. Both are pretty great phones but in my personal opinion, I'd give the edge to the Pixel. Yes, it's plastic and missing a few features like wireless charging and water resistance. But my main goal was a great software experience and a support lifecycle that would be consistent for more than a year. And my uses are very light, much like what you're describing. Battery life is stellar, even though it's the smaller one of the two, and overall it suits my needs perfectly. It's a barebones phone that does the basics without all the other stuff; not for everyone but definitely worth it for light and casual users. Camera quality is pretty good, especially their 'night sight' option. But I don't use the camera hardly at all, except to take pictures of my cat or the occasional family photo.

S10e is still a great device, and at $550 that's a pretty awesome price. And my family members have liked it and I have no qualms about it. But I know Samsung and after the hype has died down and a new Galaxy device hits the shelves, it might be forgotten about. Or not, who knows? I guess it'll be up to you to decide what feature set is more important, but either phone should do ya fine...I'd just personally choose the Pixel just because I know I'll be getting consistent updates for at least three years.

Thank you so much for your reply. I think I'm going to go with the Pixel 3axl, because it has a the 3700mah battery over the regular model. I think I can save the extra 70 dollars or so and put that towards something else. Like you said, I'm planning on keeping the phone for a while and will appreciate a lengthy support cycle from google. Knowing me I might try to wait and swoop in for a deal for like 10 dollars off, so I don't think I'm in too much of a rush to buy the phone yet. If I have a change of heart or someone else chimes in with something to completely change my mind I still have some wiggle room.

Thanks again

On 7/19/2019 at 7:28 PM, Earn said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I think I'm going to go with the Pixel 3axl, because it has a the 3700mah battery over the regular model. I think I can save the extra 70 dollars or so and put that towards something else. Like you said, I'm planning on keeping the phone for a while and will appreciate a lengthy support cycle from google. Knowing me I might try to wait and swoop in for a deal for like 10 dollars off, so I don't think I'm in too much of a rush to buy the phone yet. If I have a change of heart or someone else chimes in with something to completely change my mind I still have some wiggle room.

Thanks again

No problem man, good luck! I don't know if it'll influence your decision at all, but the PPI on the XL is almost identical to it's smaller brother despite being bigger, so I don't know that'll affect image quality (if at all). And bear this in mind as well, a bigger battery is great but with a bigger screen, does the juice required to power everything pretty much even out? Like it seems that bump in battery power is just there to power a slightly bigger screen, so I wonder if you'll really see an increase in battery life. Just a thought, I honestly don't know the answer to that question but it's always in the back of my mind.

Anyway hope it all works out for ya dude/dudette.