Space-Simulator controller configs share

tsmspace

Ok,,, REALLY I"m just here to tout my own controller configuration. 

theory: In most popular titles, basic controls are certainly able to be customized but MOSTLY people agree on the present day default configuration as being the "best", because of the intuitive nature of it. (for example, FPS games have wasd for motion and the mouse points and shoots,,, mostly,, everyone uses the same config for these functions). 

space games are a little different. Elite Dangerous fixes the problem of 6-axis control in a 4-axis mindset by completely removing yaw from the mindset,,,, (but then,,, that's not a realistic fix for actual machines,,, also, there will be plenty of people who want yaw that moves at the same rates available as pitch)...... it can be argued that it's better to "unrealisticize" the yaw and pitch to be just as fast as the player chooses in config. ,,, anyway,, ,with space games, it hasn't been ironed out exactly what's best for ship control, probably because player coordination isn't up to snuff enough to iron out a "best" interface. 

My configuration is the best one for an xbox controller if you can be happy with forward/reverse throttle being buttons instead of "analog",,,, (my opinion, of course,,, but I add my theory)... 

first, with drones, there is a standard configuration and although some people resist it, basically all pilots today fly with throttle-yaw on the left stick and pitch-roll on the right. ,,,, 

I still play the sim with my controller, but don't fly. 

For space games, however, I have found that roll is basically not necessary for MOST maneuvers,,, it can be nice for keeping your head straight at first, but the more cozy you get with the 3d environment the less an up matters,,,,, and for whatever reason I PERSONALLY found that up for up and down for down is more logical than the airplanes standard up for down. This is after many years of following forward-down logic,. video-games with up for up made the switch basically no problem. 

so my config is: 

left stick  :::::  strafe up down left right ----- right stick ::::: pitch yaw ------- left and right trigger (axis control, not button)   ::: roll    ----- throttle forward ::: left stick press   ----- throttle backward::::: right stick press ....   

some space game theory: THrust and Shoot is a great game, because in space-ships,,, there isn't really huge engines pointing anywhere but rear. outside of docking, those tiny little thrusters around the ship should basically have no effect on vector (at least not that a pilot would care about for any serious combat maneuver)  ,,, However there's a huge problem because you can't see out your side window (unless wearing some kind of VR rig), so Thrust and Shoot is super hard to play because you have to look and remember and guess where things are. ,,,, games that fly with equal thrust in all directions are much easier for game-play because you can change vector, but still see where you are going. Well, also you can shoot any way you choose while accelerating any way you choose,,, but THAT one might lose overall to just being able to see, and the logic of a big rear engine. At any rate, space games are largely lackluster in popularity (IMO) because the control interface isn't worked out quite right. No one knows the right way to set up the controls for a user to plop in and feel like it makes sense. 

again,, IMO ,,, but maybe we need two joysticks for the trigger fingers, and two for the thumbs (as is already), which might make space games take off..... I mean realistic physics space games, where big rear engines are actually more powerful than tiny engines,, , and where "realistic simulator physics" can become a popular idea. ,,,,, well,,,, because right now they're not. 

i5 12400 , MSI b660 pro-a, 32g 3200 , rtx 3060, 1tb wdblack sn270

I gave my dad: rogstrix b350-f gaming, r5 2600, corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 2400, gtx 980 ti , he has minecraft, halo infinite, and collects his own photography. he had a "worst laptop in store special" that finishes loading your mouse movement, but not really much else. 

games: Starmade, Velocidrone, Minecraft, Astrokill, Liftoff, ThrustandShoot, , Infinity Battlescape, Flight of Nova, Orbital Racer

To be honest space games are a bit confusing for me on M+K. Galaxy on Fire was easy to control but i can't so it in No Man's Sky it's hard af.

Must try it with my xone controller.

Intel i5-9600K Nvidia GTX 1060 Gaming G1Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X │ Corsair RM550x │ Cryorig Universal H5 │Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHZ CL15

I never played either of those games, I DID however play a few minutes of hellion, which used the mouse to point the nose (starmade is also this way default), and had throttle on a slider,,, so instead of push button for throttle, you increased or decreased throttle,,,, which I do NOT find intuitive in space mindset. After flying drones, I also don't find the mouse pointer as a good way to control the nose of the ship,,, and think that it's VERY intuitive to use an xbox controller, and have the keyboard in front of you for other functions. 

I gave my dad: rogstrix b350-f gaming, r5 2600, corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 2400, gtx 980 ti , he has minecraft, halo infinite, and collects his own photography. he had a "worst laptop in store special" that finishes loading your mouse movement, but not really much else. 

games: Starmade, Velocidrone, Minecraft, Astrokill, Liftoff, ThrustandShoot, , Infinity Battlescape, Flight of Nova, Orbital Racer

also, space games involving ship flight,,, they are pretty hard to "jump in to",,, and if you have already trained yourself for a different 6-axis control configuration, you will definately need plenty of practice to learn a new one. ,,, it's not like switching from mario-64 to halo,,, 

I think FPV drone simulators hold a key for such training,,,,, LOTS and LOTS of EASY little race-courses. if you can try to navigate easy race-courses at slow speed, you can really focus on your 6-axis coordination without having to worry about anything else. a few days of 10 minute attempts at control, and you should be able to complete basically any course if speed is not a focus. 

shooting, targeting, navigating epic distances, keeping track of a battlefield, etc. are a different story, and all require a lot more time to develop into useful skills, but most games seem to only offer a taste of the tools it takes to get up and running with basic navigation,,,, FPV Drone simulators and SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to help beginners, impatient beginners ,patient beginners, old-salts that can't "get-right", people who are VERY GOOD PILOTS already, and people who can't even imagine controlling a drone ,,, all improve their skills, and the makers of those games have put a lot of work into grading track design for difficulty, keeping simple tracks fun and valuable, and figuring out how to challenge even the best pilots. space games could really take a page out of their book. 

actually, if drone simulators had an option to fly like a space game that would be best,, a lot of the value of the tracks would apply without gravity. some things would get different, but the tracks would still be magnificent.