Slow internet speed/ ping

dauellama

Hey All, long time listener, first time caller!  So I have spectrum 100mbps internet here in my home.  However recently I have been consistently getting 50mbps on my pc wired via cat6 through a tp link(brand)  router to the modem, and my ping has gone from 30ms to 250-300ms.  I have isolated the issue to the router itself.  Straight out of the modem I am getting 100mbps and more like 30ish ping. I am wondering if there are any settings that could be the issue or tweaked, or is it new router time?  Thanks, you guys are great!

TP-Link N450 Wi-Fi Router - Wireless Internet Router for Home, Wireless Access Point Mode (TL-WR940N)

Not the fanciest, so no worries if its new router time! 

Are you sure the modem Spectrum provided is just a modem or is it also a router? If it's also a router you probably don't need the TP-Link at all unless you have a specific reason for it. Plugging a router into a router creates what is called a double-NAT which can cause some drawbacks and other issues.

Its just a modem. ARRIS TM1602. I specifically didn't want to go with their combo as its more expensive/ monthly and at least to my knowledge 3rd party routers are far more capable?

5 minutes ago, dauellama said:

Its just a modem. ARRIS TM1602. I specifically didn't want to go with their combo as its more expensive/ monthly and at least to my knowledge 3rd party routers are far more capable?

Generally you can get more out of 3rd party options yes however I must say a lot of people who come on the forum saying their Internet is having issues the brand name TP-Link is very reoccurring. That's not to necessarily say the company's products are trash but I've not heard them have a good reputation.

If you've managed to isolate the issue down to the router itself you can try another one. I'd say try a different brand as well. Netgear is pretty popular. I've heard less complaints (not to say they don't exist).

Yeah, this would be the 3rd tp link I will be replacing (I end up helping other people out with even more limited networking experience than myself.)  They are ok for being on the cheapest end, but all of them were reliable for 2-3 years, and then either need to be regularly power cycled, or other issues.  I will probably move to Asus, as I am very happy with all the other gear I have from them, and I like that when you retire an asus, you can use it as a repeater. 

2 minutes ago, dauellama said:

Yeah, this would be the 3rd tp link I will be replacing (I end up helping other people out with even more limited networking experience than myself.)  They are ok for being on the cheapest end, but all of them were reliable for 2-3 years, and then either need to be regularly power cycled, or other issues.  I will probably move to Asus, as I am very happy with all the other gear I have from them, and I like that when you retire an asus, you can use it as a repeater. 

I like ASUS motherboards so I can back you there.

I used to use Linksys routers but after constant failures from them I decided to switch to a Netgear router. This was over 2 years ago and it's still holding strong, no complaints with Netgear.

7 hours ago, dauellama said:

TL-WR940N)

This is a single band wireless N router. It only has max of 100 Mbps on WAN and LAN. Personally Id upgrade to an AC router, that will be dual band and should be able to handle anything you throw at it. ASUS and Netgear make good gear from what I have read. Personally I have a Synology RT2600 AC and I love it. 5Ghz is really what you want to use as it has the capacity for better speeds and 5 Ghz tends to have less shit that will interfere. 

7 hours ago, dauellama said:

ARRIS TM1602

This is a 24x8 modem, So your well with in the specs when it comes to speed.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks, yeah I ended up getting a dual band AC1300 router from Asus. I think the MIMU will be a big help as I have 3 roommates all streaming wirelessly at some times. I may need to turn on qos at some point too...