Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cluelessgenius

Shutdown/Hibernate taking forever

Posted · Original PosterOP

alright im tired of researching this so i might just ask on the forum and hopefully somebody here knows whats wrong here.

for quite some time now my system takes forever to power down. wether its shutdown or hibernate doesnt matter.

but i dont know what i changed. its totally possible that i changed some power setting or somehting idk.

so what happens is ill click shutdown. windows will shutdown normally and quickly 

then the screen will go black becasue of signal loss obviously.

BUT the lights on the board and ram stay on. as do the fans. and also the psu.

then after like literally 5 minutes or so the the system will finally power off everything.

ending with the audible click of my mast-slave power extension cord turning off all peripherals after the system wattage finally fell below its threshhold

does anyone have any idea what could keep my system from powering off even after windows shut down?

some sort of harddrive power management or something ? icant think of any reason? right now only the bare minium is connected and its still doing it. 

so i cant be hdds except for the samsung 970 evo m.2. it cant be the gpu either.

or maybe some sort of network thing? 

im really tired o trying to find something on this but its too weird to efectivly google for it . or maybe im just dumb. who knows at this point

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

that could be a Windows issue. can you make a Linux live usb, boot to that and then just click shutdown after it's booted and see if the same thing happens on Linux? 

if it doesn't then your Windows install is the problem. 

Pansexual | Genderqueer | Linux God | IT Student | MLP Fan

JUST BE YOURSELF

Gaming Rig: Phenom X4 955 @ 3.5 ghz | RX 460 | 12GB RAM | 250GB + 500GB SSD | 850W PSU | Windows 10

Laptop: Asus Transformer Book | Atom Z-8350 | Intel HD | 128GB SSD | 4GB RAM | Windows 10

Phone: iPhone 7 | 128GB | iOS

Formerly Known As firelighter487

Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that could be a Windows issue. can you make a Linux live usb, boot to that and then just click shutdown after it's booted and see if the same thing happens on Linux? 

if it doesn't then your Windows install is the problem. 

alright i could test that but 

either way if it turns out to be windows related then how the hell do check what it could be

or if it isnt windows related then i stilll have no clue where to even start looking. i mean probably the bios but asus with their fancy boards have this wall of features and functions that all need seperate researching to even begin to understand what they actually do.

also i have tried a bios rest already with no success so i might be windows but just killing it and re-installing windows isnt an option here im not going through that shit again any time soon.

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic