Shutdown/Hibernate taking forever

cluelessgenius

alright im tired of researching this so i might just ask on the forum and hopefully somebody here knows whats wrong here.

for quite some time now my system takes forever to power down. wether its shutdown or hibernate doesnt matter.

but i dont know what i changed. its totally possible that i changed some power setting or somehting idk.

so what happens is ill click shutdown. windows will shutdown normally and quickly 

then the screen will go black becasue of signal loss obviously.

BUT the lights on the board and ram stay on. as do the fans. and also the psu.

then after like literally 5 minutes or so the the system will finally power off everything.

ending with the audible click of my mast-slave power extension cord turning off all peripherals after the system wattage finally fell below its threshhold

does anyone have any idea what could keep my system from powering off even after windows shut down?

some sort of harddrive power management or something ? icant think of any reason? right now only the bare minium is connected and its still doing it. 

so i cant be hdds except for the samsung 970 evo m.2. it cant be the gpu either.

or maybe some sort of network thing? 

im really tired o trying to find something on this but its too weird to efectivly google for it . or maybe im just dumb. who knows at this point

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

that could be a Windows issue. can you make a Linux live usb, boot to that and then just click shutdown after it's booted and see if the same thing happens on Linux? 

if it doesn't then your Windows install is the problem. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that could be a Windows issue. can you make a Linux live usb, boot to that and then just click shutdown after it's booted and see if the same thing happens on Linux? 

if it doesn't then your Windows install is the problem. 

alright i could test that but 

either way if it turns out to be windows related then how the hell do check what it could be

or if it isnt windows related then i stilll have no clue where to even start looking. i mean probably the bios but asus with their fancy boards have this wall of features and functions that all need seperate researching to even begin to understand what they actually do.

also i have tried a bios rest already with no success so i might be windows but just killing it and re-installing windows isnt an option here im not going through that shit again any time soon.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

• 1 month later...

so turning off fast startup (although i found that setting to be really well hidden) did speed up shutdown to "normal" speeds but hibernation still sucks so im guessing its the pagefile saving that takes so long ill check those settings next

So... was actually talking about something similar with the IT guys at my work. What they told me is that even though you have "user" settings for things like updates etc.. in a shutdown process microsoft/windows will scan for new service packs or security updates. Which is why they recommend you shutdown or restart your PC when you're done with it for the day, so even though windows "closes" its still paging files in the background.--- this is all speculation though but makes sense to me.

5 minutes ago, Grav1s said:

So... was actually talking about something similar with the IT guys at my work. What they told me is that even though you have "user" settings for things like updates etc.. in a shutdown process microsoft/windows will scan for new service packs or security updates. Which is why they recommend you shutdown or restart your PC when you're done with it for the day, so even though windows "closes" its still paging files in the background.--- this is all speculation though but makes sense to me.

if so then that shit is stupid as if windows isnt affecting performance enough with background shit while running. now it needs to mess with shutdown aswell? but i feel like more people should have that issue then no? like nowadays everyone got rgb on their hardware shouldnt there be tons of people complaining about their room staing lit up for an extra 5 minutes after they pressed hibernation or sleep?