LG V40 vs. Samsung Galaxy S9 (or other equivalent)

ChrisL333

Im Looking to buy a used Flagship from last year to save some cash. I am regularly seeing the LG at around $310-$350 on ebay and the S9 is around $250-275. Which should i choose and is there another phone im forgetting to look into?

From what i see i like the V40 but im kinda skeptical on their support of the device so im looking for other options. 

requirements:

network: Verizon
I want a headphone jack. 

15 minutes ago, ChrisL333 said:

Im Looking to buy a used Flagship from last year to save some cash. I am regularly seeing the LG at around $310-$350 on ebay and the S9 is around $250-275. Which should i choose and is there another phone im forgetting to look into?

From what i see i like the V40 but im kinda skeptical on their support of the device so im looking for other options. 

requirements:

network: Verizon
I want a headphone jack. 

Stay away from LG if you want support for any length of time. Samsung is a little better but not much. If you're cool with a few features missing, what about something like the Pixel 3a XL? Not a flagship but it'll have support for more than a few minutes and seems like a good deal, of course depending on your needs.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

1 minute ago, v0id said:

Stay away from LG if you want support for any length of time. Samsung is a little better but not much. If you're cool with a few features missing, what about something like the Pixel 3a XL? Not a flagship but it'll have support for more than a few minutes and seems like a good deal, of course depending on your needs.

I have seen that and it is on my list but they are still too expensive comparably. I mean I will be getting better performance on the s9 for sure. But i am thinking about it. Especially once they start popping up on Ebay. That being said i dont play any mobile games so the battery may be better for me. Any other options you can think of?

Just now, ChrisL333 said:

I have seen that and it is on my list but they are still too expensive comparably. I mean I will be getting better performance on the s9 for sure. But i am thinking about it. Especially once they start popping up on Ebay. That being said i dont play any mobile games so the battery may be better for me. Any other options you can think of?

You don't play games? What kind of performance were you hoping to get out of an S8 exactly? If all you do is text, call and do Youtube and Netflix the 3a is a beast imo. What do you want out of the phone? Like what features are most important? IP rating? Wireless charging? I know you mentioned a HJ but anything else?

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

Just now, v0id said:

You don't play games? What kind of performance were you hoping to get out of an S8 exactly? If all you do is text, call and do Youtube and Netflix the 3a is a beast imo. What do you want out of the phone? Like what features are most important? IP rating? Wireless charging? I know you mentioned a HJ but anything else?

More just looking for longevity. Im still using a gen 1 pixel the only reason im upgrading is because it needs a new battery and if im going to spend $100 for that i might as well just get a new phone. Wireless charging is a nice to have. I dont really care about waterproffness but again its nice. I watch alot of content on my phone when i travel so a nice screen is important. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisL333 said:

More just looking for longevity. Im still using a gen 1 pixel the only reason im upgrading is because it needs a new battery and if im going to spend $100 for that i might as well just get a new phone. Wireless charging is a nice to have. I dont really care about waterproffness but again its nice. I watch alot of content on my phone when i travel so a nice screen is important. 

Longevity? Well I'll just throw my vote towards the Pixel again. I got the smaller 3a cuz I got little girl hands, but Best Buy runs specials on the XL sometimes and in my area you can get it for like $379 where it's normally $479. But if that's a bit out of your price range, then I guess plan B would be the S8 or maybe a OnePlus phone but I'm not too familiar with them. Good luck dude/dudette.

If it's the headphone jack and you care about music quality more than anything else, then V40. If it's basically everything else, then S9 out of those 2. As much as I love my V30 their update speed is horrible. Samsung is much better in that regard, not slightly as the other guy said.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

18 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Learnt your lesson yet?

The reason why you are switching from your Pixel...

You are only going repeat this event if you keep buying devices with lackluster battery. With a larger battery you get more room for unavoidable deterioration over the long term as you deplete charge cycles. In fact deterioration slows down because with more juice you don't have to charge as often.

Android Lollipop works just fine and runs almost everything on the Play store. There hasn't been a case where there was an ACTUAL widespread compromise of Android devices. New Android versions are effectively nothing more than marketing unless there are specific software features you are going for.

No point getting something that will get 'updates' for a hundred years if you are going to toss it again when the battery goes bad after just 2...

I agree with you on the battery thing, that's the sad state that we're in right now. I used to own a V20 and with that removable battery I could power that device for many years without much hassle. But most phones today don't have that feature, and the best batteries on the market will eventually die after they've reached their charge cycle limit. But some local shops will swap your battery for like $50, so all is not lost in that department. I plan on keeping mine for many years and will actually swap the battery myself since it's a plastic device without an IP rating.

On the update front, I would respectfully disagree. While you're correct that widespread compromises haven't really occurred with older versions of Android, that doesn't mean on an individual level it can't happen. It's not just about newer Android versions (Marshmallow, Oreo, Pie, etc) but the monthly security patches. Why risk a vulnerability especially if you do sensitive work on your phone like banking? It may never happen to you but why risk it? Apps are supported now but for how much longer? Any issues won't be patched since it's an out dated OS version.

Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from and I agree for the most part. But an updated phone is just a good idea imo, kinda like anti-virus on a PC or airbags in a car.

12 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

If it's the headphone jack and you care about music quality more than anything else, then V40. If it's basically everything else, then S9 out of those 2. As much as I love my V30 their update speed is horrible. Samsung is much better in that regard, not slightly as the other guy said.

My V20 was awesome in the audio department so I agree there. Samsung's update process was pretty slow at least for me, and stopped entirely for my wife's S8 last July. I was always two to three months behind patch levels even during the first year of release, but perhaps it's different depending on where you live.

8 hours ago, v0id said:

My V20 was awesome in the audio department so I agree there. Samsung's update process was pretty slow at least for me, and stopped entirely for my wife's S8 last July. I was always two to three months behind patch levels even during the first year of release, but perhaps it's different depending on where you live.

Last July? She should have gotten Pie months ago. By the time s8 got Pie, LG iirc had 0 Pie devices out. Looking at patches in the last year, Samsung was always more frequent than LG, to the point of some V30S or + versions being almost a year behind, while my verson goes up to 3 months behind before the update. And your phone with Oreo is the best example of what LG thinks of updating. I know my next phone won't be an LG.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

15 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Last July? She should have gotten Pie months ago. By the time s8 got Pie, LG iirc had 0 Pie devices out. Looking at patches in the last year, Samsung was always more frequent than LG, to the point of some V30S or + versions being almost a year behind, while my verson goes up to 3 months behind before the update. And your phone with Oreo is the best example of what LG thinks of updating. I know my next phone won't be an LG.

I agree Samsung is the lesser of two evils in that department, lol