Want to make a server to host games, could you guys help me make sure the parts are compatible

57 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

What game are you wanting to host, how many players, and how many simultaneous servers.

Depending on the game, players, and number of servers the needs can be drastically different.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

What game are you wanting to host, how many players, and how many simultaneous servers.

Depending on the game, players, and number of servers the needs can be drastically different.

Rust (if you don't know it just search it, it should be the first thing to pop up) 50 to 100 player (hopefully) on average, and for now just on server

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Was just reading a reddit post, although a few years old now, that mentions 25Mb/s of upload and download for a server of 100 people. I'd be curious to see wired speed from the router but I doubt it's going to increase upload by a ton.

Might be the bare minimum it requires. Did they mention the game they were hosting? I could imagine that loading objects in a sandbox title require a bit more bandwidth than usual.

I made bad experiences with anything below 1Mbit/s. That's why I'm a bit careful with that.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Might be the bare minimum it requires. Did they mention the game they were hosting? I could imagine that loading objects in a sandbox title require a bit more bandwidth than usual.

I made bad experiences with anything below 1Mbit/s. That's why I'm a bit careful with that.

It just mentioned Rust as the game, it doesn't seem to need a lot of upload/download speed but again these are old discussions, not sure if the game has changed a lot since then and needs more bandwidth per player now.

Edit:

One thing I REALLY need to emphasis to OP is the risk of getting DDOSed is probably going to be pretty high hosting a 100+ player server and hosting it on a home connection means that once someone decides to DDOS you, you're down until they stop or you change the IP and then it's wash, rinse, repeat. For some friends it's fine but for tons of people who can get mad and try to take revenge, hosting it elsewhere is best since they usually offer DDOS protection. Additionally, cloudflare is NOT an option unless you're willing to pay thousands a month for game server port protection.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

26 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

If I had to make a new list my budget would be 1000 - 1500 SGD

So anywhere from $750USD~$1,100USD. That's a sizable budget for what you're looking to do. Supermicro is a mega manufacturer of server hardware but I can say you probably don't need most of the features it comes with. ASRock Rack makes (in my opinion) pretty good "server" motherboards which should cost a little less and fill the role just as well.

a Ryzen 7 1700 should do for a pretty decent server...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I would use the parts you suggest but they take up a huge chunk of my budget

But you want to use 8gb of ram why? thats not much for a server, more a test environment keep that in mind. 

Just now, jjdrost said:

But you want to use 8gb of ram why? thats not much for a server, more a test environment keep that in mind. 

I will most likely add more depending on my end list

consider to buy your services thats a lot cheaper when you look forward for how long do you think you wil use it? make a balance for you self.

30 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

Rust (if you don't know it just search it, it should be the first thing to pop up) 50 to 100 player (hopefully) on average, and for now just on server

Then you are going to need something with good single thread performance and an SSD to handle the game (for saves).

Honestly, if it is just one server I would go on the cheap. Pick up a dell optiplex for 150-200 used. You should be able to get one that has a 4770 cpu in it and 8gb of ram. Then you just need another 8gb of ram for 45-50 bucks and a cheap 512tb ssd for 50ish.

So 250-300 total and it will run the server much better than an old rack mount machine.

The 4770 has great single thread performance and being a quad core you can host atleast 2 servers for rust simultaneously.

On 6/16/2019 at 11:16 PM, Senzelian said:

Do me a favor and do a little speedtest and we'll see.

https://www.speedtest.net

1Gbit/s would be fantastic as download speed, but I also need to know ping and upload.

Otherwise, I'm not going to make a recommendation.

hey so after I got close and didn't have two walls separating me and my router I got 5 ping a very steady 386 mbps of download speed and 554 Mbps of upload what do you think about it now

21 minutes ago, TechCat25 said:

hey so after I got close and didn't have two walls separating me and my router I got 5 ping a very steady 386 mbps of download speed and 554 Mbps of upload what do you think about it now

That's of course way better. WIth that, you should easily be able to host a server.

I know this thread is starting to age but I gotta chip in my 2 cents...

It sounds like the OP has little to no experience managing a piece of hardware that is going to connect a bunch of people together in a manageable, stable and protected way. Sticking some crap parts in a box and connecting it to the internet with a wing and a prayer is really kind of a dumb idea. If you are building it to serve for a pile of people that come to your house to game until they stink of Funyuns and flop sweat, well then get after it! But if you are thinking you are going to be the cool kid with a kick ass server that everyone in your friends list on Facebook will revere... you are WAAAY in over your head. Building the box is barely the least of your worries. Especially if you are planning on storing some "personal files" on it. Best intentions don't stop hackers, angry dickheads with more time than common sense and the generally nefarious intended that are going to be accessing your gear. There is a serious reason why the ones that host big game servers do so on remote hardware, usually hosted in an AWS facility or the likes, and they have far more than the average MAC users knowledge of networking, internet security, hosting and server management. Just because it can be done piss poorly doesn't mean it should be done.

I would like to say I am not trying to disuade the OP from creating his/her own server because it sounds like a great idea at this moment... but that is not the case. You don't put a Koi pond in a homeless encampment and expect the residents to not eat the fish and shit in it when you are not looking. Just because you can learn anything on YouTube doesn't mean it isn't going to end badly. Just sayin'

23 hours ago, GuruOfNothing said:

I know this thread is starting to age but I gotta chip in my 2 cents...

It sounds like the OP has little to no experience managing a piece of hardware that is going to connect a bunch of people together in a manageable, stable and protected way. Sticking some crap parts in a box and connecting it to the internet with a wing and a prayer is really kind of a dumb idea. If you are building it to serve for a pile of people that come to your house to game until they stink of Funyuns and flop sweat, well then get after it! But if you are thinking you are going to be the cool kid with a kick ass server that everyone in your friends list on Facebook will revere... you are WAAAY in over your head. Building the box is barely the least of your worries. Especially if you are planning on storing some "personal files" on it. Best intentions don't stop hackers, angry dickheads with more time than common sense and the generally nefarious intended that are going to be accessing your gear. There is a serious reason why the ones that host big game servers do so on remote hardware, usually hosted in an AWS facility or the likes, and they have far more than the average MAC users knowledge of networking, internet security, hosting and server management. Just because it can be done piss poorly doesn't mean it should be done.

I would like to say I am not trying to disuade the OP from creating his/her own server because it sounds like a great idea at this moment... but that is not the case. You don't put a Koi pond in a homeless encampment and expect the residents to not eat the fish and shit in it when you are not looking. Just because you can learn anything on YouTube doesn't mean it isn't going to end badly. Just sayin'

I second this really.  I wouldnt put any personal files on a publicly visible box on a home network.

I put a linux box with a mediocre password and no real hardening into a DMZ as a kind of test, it was a botnet zombie inside of 2 days.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:32 AM, TechCat25 said:

I am hosting a minecraft server on a poweredge R610 which I found for $50 so I would reccomend to go find a prebuilt server since they work pretty well and you can get them cheap.

Gaming PC: Intel Core i5 9600k ; MSI Aero GTX 1070 TI ; MSI Z390-A PRO ; G.Skill Trident Z 16Gb 2400MHz ; Corsair RM750X ; Corsair Crystal 570x ; Samsung 850 EVO 250GB ; PNY ssd ; Corsair H75 AIO

Laptop: 2017 Macbook Pro 13' 256gb SSD