New SSD not detected by Windows 10 installation media

I recently purchased a Thinkpad T490 with the base 128GB NVMe PCIe, and planned to upgrade it myself to save some money.

For the upgrade I purchased the Silicon Power 512GB A80 NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 SSD https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-512GB-Gen3x4-SU512GBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07L6DKM8V/

According to the platform specifications ( https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T490/ThinkPad_T490_Platform_Specifications.pdf ) this drive should be fully compatible with my system.

Once the larger 512GB drive arrived I removed the original 128GB drive and installed the new one in its place.

The drive was detected properly in the BIOS, so I created a Windows 10 install USB using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool, plugged it in and began the install process.

Unfortunately, the Windows 10 installer did not detect the installed 512GB drive.

After quitting out of the installer and restarting the laptop I entered the BIOS again and the 512GB drive was no longer listed.

I then loaded optimized defaults in the BIOS and restarted my computer again, after the restart the 512GB drive was once again listed in the BIOS.

I have tried all sorts of BIOS settings and tried installing the IRST drivers during the Windows 10 install setup, but nothing has caused the drive to be detected by the Windows 10 installer.

Does anyone have any insights or advice on how to fix this problem?

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

I flashed the BIOS to the most recent version (1.44) and tried the SSD again. No change. Still detected by the BIOS, but not the Windows 10 installer. Good idea though.

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

there's usually an issue with the installer where it doesn't like being booted on a motherboard that has UEFI boot on... maybe try changing the setting in the BIOS to legacy instead. not sure if this will help though.

• 4 years later...