Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gung Pow Chicken

Mid 2015 15" MBP, still good buy?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Well long story short, my GS63 got smashed in a car accident, the person at fault's insurance reimbursed me what they feel it was worth which leaves me with $1000 bucks to get a new daily carry machine. I've already got 2 P52's one with a Xeon and 128GB RAM so I don't need anything to powerful. Just portable with decent battery life. I loved my 13" Mid-2012 MBP, it had an i7 and 16GB RAM, but I had to sell it for some pretty stupid reasons.

I'm looking at getting a Mid 2015 Retina MBP, it currently has 16GB RAM, i7, and a 256GB SSD. I have a spare 1TB SSD for this gen of MBP laying around I would be installing if I purchased it. What are your opinions, is it still a good buy or should i look at other machines.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I'd say it's a good buy. Louis Rossman (however you spell that) actually recommends to get the 2014 model because of some issue with the 2015 one that I can't remember off the top of my head (he very recently posted a video about this), but I don't think it was big enough of a deal.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

I've done MBP board repair's over the years, so I'm comfortable with fixing the Green Light issues, or whatever other issues arise :D

He's actually one of the people I watched to learn a bit more on MBP repair, and who guided me to buy all of my soldering tools.  on top of that I've taken soldering classes.

The MBP also comes with a 3 Yr warranty, I'm currently in the works of finding out what that will all cover.

I mainly want this one for the 4770HQ lol

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Just an update lol ended up buying another P52. This one doesn't have a xeon though.