Would my PSU be able to handle an RX 470/570

limikusz
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
3 minutes ago, limikusz said:

Yeah they are a bit pricey other than places where they are completely sold out. And what about the 600 watt version of the CM MWE? That has at least a B tier on the pinned PSU tier list.

if its the 600 watt version then its fine. 

any below and it changes layout internally from what i know, or changes PSU maker entirely. 

7 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Never been sorry, with 10+ builds running for years with similar PSUs and similar loads.

Only PSUs I have had fail were generally recommended units at the time.

youve had some bad experiences i guess. 

though i would take the recommendations from the known PSU people on the forum. they know their stuff. 

My current rig consists of an I5-2400 and a GTX 750 Ti (additional 6-pin variety) and I'm looking to upgrade the GPU. My current PSU is a Kolink CHS-500 which has been working fine for years now despite it being a brand with bad reputation. Anyway, I was wondering if it could handle an RX 470 or an RX 570 (with a 6-pin power connector as I wouldn't trust it with more than that) since the difference between them and the 750 Ti's TDP is about only 50 watts.

Here are PSU calculator links for both setups:

https://outervision.com/b/JAa2hZ

https://outervision.com/b/CFvuks

Yes.  Even a horrible 450w PSU would be fine.

RX 470 only pulls ~120w, RX 570 pulls... I believe ~150w.

With the other main components of the system you are only at ~300w.

12 minutes ago, limikusz said:

My current PSU is a Kolink CHS-500 which has been working fine for years now despite it being a brand with bad reputation

Given the age and poor quality of the PSU I would recommend replacing it.
What country are you in?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Given the age and poor quality of the PSU I would recommend replacing it.
What country are you in?

I live in Hungary and the prices here aren't great. And I'm not sure if my budget allows me to get a quality PSU with the GPU upgrade.

A new/better PSU is optimal, but what you have should run a 470/570 without fuss.

21 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Yes.  Even a horrible 450w PSU would be fine.

that is 100% false. wattage, sure. everything else, nope.

10 minutes ago, limikusz said:

I live in Hungary and the prices here aren't great. And I'm not sure if my budget allows me to get a quality PSU with the GPU upgrade.

look for a system power 9 500 watt. pure power 10/11 500 watt.

or a cx 450/550 (2017)

at least one of those are cheap

32 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

look for a system power 9 500 watt. pure power 10/11 500 watt.

or a cx 450/550 (2017)

at least one of those are cheap

I did some digging around, and the ones you mentioned are kind of hard to find at a really good price. But i did manage to find a Cooler Master MWE Bronze 450 at a reasonable price. Would this one suffice for my build?

38 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

that is 100% false. wattage, sure. everything else, nope.

That is 100% true. Ive got a 2006 TT 430w running an i7-3770 and RX 480 with zero issues.  And I have used similar PSUs for those throwing together super cheap builds with no problems.

Quit spreading PSU FUD.

1 minute ago, limikusz said:

I did some digging around, and the ones you mentioned are kind of hard to find at a really good price. But i did manage to find a Cooler Master MWE Bronze 450 at a reasonable price. Would this one suffice for my build?

avoid that one. 

you sure you couldnt find them for a good price? they usually go for 45-65$ equivelent. 

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

That is 100% true. Ive got a 2006 TT 430w running an i7-3770 and RX 480 with zero issues.  And have used similar PSUs for those throwing together super cheap builds with no problems.

Quit spreading PSU FUD.

better safe than sorry...

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Quit spreading PSU FUD.

ok? so you are going against common knowlage among the people who review PSUs and know the inns and out of them? like i dont dive into PSUs much, but at least i know the basics and the models of PSUs to look out for. 

That is 100% true. Ive got a 2006 TT 430w running an i7-3770 and RX 480 with zero issues.

oh boy, im glad that things is still running. you should probably look at swapping that out. i dont have the overview of the protections it has, but one day its gonna fail. better be on the safe side and not let it take components with it. 

and if the protections arent up to par, im glad you havent had a bad situation yet. 

1 minute ago, Sychic said:

better safe than sorry...

Never been sorry, with 10+ builds running for years with similar PSUs and similar loads.

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

avoid that one. 

you sure you couldnt find them for a good price? they usually go for 45-65$ equivelent. 

Yeah they are a bit pricey other than places where they are completely sold out. And what about the 600 watt version of the CM MWE? That has at least a B tier on the pinned PSU tier list.

3 minutes ago, limikusz said:

any below and it changes layout internally from what i know, or changes PSU maker entirely. 

7 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

though i would take the recommendations from the known PSU people on the forum. they know their stuff. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Alright, thanks a lot man!

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I know the EE stuff behind the recommendations too, and do scope testing under load on units before giving them the OK as I deal in lots of old parts.

What is best in theory is not always what is best in practice though.  Any time you buy a PSU, even if it is technically superior, you can run into problems.  If the failure rate is similar between a $30 unit and $100 unit, Im not going to waste money on the $100 unit because its "technically" better.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

What is best in theory is not always what is best in practice though.  Any time you buy a PSU, even if it is technically superior, you can run into problems.  If the failure rate is similar between a $30 unit and $100 unit, Im not going to waste money on the $100 unit because its "technically" better.

That then comes down to failure rate. which one can procure, but is usually outside of the scope when it comes to what gets tested in PSUs. but if you find a good one with low failure rates and good protections by all means go ahead. its not like the people who evaluate PSUs on the forum care a lot about price. 

I know the EE stuff behind the recommendations too, and do scope testing under load on units before giving them the OK as I deal in lots of old parts.

nice, then you would know why some units are avoided and why older PSUs tend to un-favored due to changing standards and the chance that age might end the PSU at some point. 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

That then comes down to failure rate. which one can procure, but is usually outside of the scope when it comes to what gets tested in PSUs. but if you find a good one with low failure rates and good protections by all means go ahead. its not like the people who evaluate PSUs on the forum care a lot about price.

nice, then you would know why some units are avoided and why older PSUs tend to un-favored due to changing standards and the chance that age might end the PSU at some point. 

Group regulated units are why people avoid them, and generally this has zero impact on non-overclocking normal usage.  Are they kinda sketchy under high load, yes.  Is the unit going to be run at high load, no.

Cap aging is a thing, but running a PSU at ~60% load or so gives you plenty of room for cap aging.  Especially if the PSU has been used at 30% or less load for the majority of its life.

Group regulated units are why people avoid them, and generally this has zero impact on non-overclocking normal usage.  Are they kinda sketchy under high load, yes.  Is the unit going to be run at high load, no.

group regulation, but also UVP and OCP can be an issue, even with more modern PSUs. again im not all the wellhearsed in the world of PSUs. 

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Cap aging is a thing, but running a PSU at ~60% load or so gives you plenty of room for cap aging.  Especially if the PSU has been used at 30% or less load for the majority of its life.

that is true, and you can find good older PSUs like Delta units from Dell prebuilds. but even at 30% load. units that start to approach 10 year starts to become quite sketch.