With What My Xeon X5670 Comparable to?

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Don't worry, you didn't think about it.

But with all those Westmere Hype Threads, its better to make sure that you own it and not plan to buy one.

Yeah, that's often the case with Prebuilt systems, that you have no way to overclock. That's not what they are made for....

GPU might be a bit on the low end though...

That's not a bad price, not bad at all.

And what it should cost.

Problem is: a "normal" Consumer Motherboard cost about as much as both of those combined. Only the Board.

Yeah, the price is more than fair for such an old machine.

And you should be OK for a year or so, to save up for a better machine.

You gave me the answer i was looking for.. one year is more then enough for me to save some money for a really good build.. thanks alot i really appreciate that :)

7 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

The thread title was "With What My Xeon X5670 Comparable to?" so I felt it was heavily implied after he said "I am curious about my 6 cores 12 thread Xeon X5670 processor.." that he already owned it lol.

I'm really just confused why everyone wants to push Ryzen down anyone's throat at any opportunity. Someone buying/using a X5670 likely doesn't have access to new parts, doesn't have the budget for new parts, and/or has access to cheap used parts. If you're happy with what you have and it does what you want there's absolutely no reason to drop hundreds of dollars on brand new hardware.

Yeah tcase is absolutely useless to anyone on the consumer end of things, I'm definitely not talking about tcase. Deneb/Thuban have a huge warning like everywhere that you shouldn't exceed 65c. AMD's spec is 62c for most Phenom II cpus, there's a chart for max temps against TDP somewhere but I can't find it right now. AMD recommends either Overdrive or Core Temp for reading the temps. I use Core Temp and OpenHardwareMonitor of which the later, on many boards I've found to be better supported while reading the same, but I always use both on AMD stuff just to make sure everything looks right. Just go google "Phenom temp limit" or something, AMD's official resource links are all broken but there's thousands of forum posts and reviewers saying the same thing. In comparison Intel stuff is most often designed to hit 100c and throttle which is common on their junk stock coolers. I did just read that Phenoms will shut off if they reach 90c, so I guess it couldn't ever hit 100c like my X58 stuff has anyways.

I really wasn't trying to go for an AMD vs Intel thing, both are great they just offer different options from each other. All hardware can be the greatest thing ever if you get it for good enough of a deal. I'd never suggest anyone outside of people who are enthusiasts to run out and buy X58 hardware. Unless it's a good deal of course and/or would work well for their use case. Deals are everywhere if you look hard and long enough and it all just matters what you need the hardware to do and if it fills that need for a better price than other alternatives.

8gb of ram, do you have a triple channel motherboard(6 slots) or one of the older dual channel(4 slots) ones? I would try to get another stick of DDR3 if you can but only if it's cost effective. You can also use ECC Unbuffered memory which can often be found for really cheap, but I wouldn't suggest to mix across channels like that but only do like two different kits of 3 sticks. Look for something like PC3-10600U/PC3-10600E(12800 for 1600mhz), the U and E should denote ECC Unbuffered specifically. I was able to find 3x2gb for $18 shipped, sometimes locally you can find them for like $5 each but that all depends on your local market.

Yeah, Apex Legends is built on the source engine which has hilariously bad multithreading, it has been significantly improved from the old source engine versions over the years though. The Titanfall branch is heavily modified but it's still Source. The R9 380 isn't a bad card and if you paid that much for it recently, you might have overpaid for it since a new RX 570 is worth about that, at least in the US. If your prime concern is gaming, you could try picking up a faster Westmere quad core. X5687's are about the same price as a X5675 and you can get them on Aliexpress. Don't expect significant performance gains but it should help a little with stuttering and fps drops.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5687-Quad-Core-LGA1366-Desktop-CPU-100-working-properly-Desktop-Processor/32801935872.html

You could try looking for a used RX480/RX570/GTX970 but you'll have to be very careful to check benchmarks against any other cards you look at and gauge their value to performance. You're probably going to be looking at an overall upgrade, Haswell/4th gen Intel stuff has got fairly cheap, can use the DDR3 you already have and if you get an i7 would be an all around upgrade. Used/New Ryzen is also of course really good along with some used Skylake stuff really coming down in price. I would suggest to look for cpus with more than 4 threads though, so try to avoid any i5's if you possibly can. Going forward games are only going to use more and more threads and there's a lot of games on even current gen cpus which will bottleneck simply because they don't have enough threads for the game and will experience stuttering, ect.

Your build was a pretty good deal though it sounds like. It's going to be pretty rough to beat without getting near to the price of new parts unless you can find a good deal on something

Thanks for giving me a A - Z info .. i really appreciate that.. u gave me.alot of options.. now when i will be ready to build a new gaming pc i will look for the options u said :)