Do I get a CAT6 cable or a CAT7 cable?

lando4commando

Hello, I was looking at lowering my ping on online games since the router is across the house and downstairs from where my PC is, so I get pretty bad wifi connection. We are paying for around 200mbps and I am only getting about 40mbps and my ping usually stays between 30-50. I found that I should go down the wired route and I will route a 50ft cable to the router. The only thing that I don't know is whether to get CAT6 or CAT7 cable. Is there much of a difference between the two? Does the mhz speed even matter? Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks, Landon

Cat 6 is all you will need. Even cat5e will carry your full signal no issues as well. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Cat5e is good for up to 2.5 gbps

Cat6 is good for 10gbps up to around 30-50 meters.

Cat6a is needed is you want 10gbps up to 100 meters.

So even a cheap cat5e will be more than enough for your connectivity.

Get Cat6. I got myself Cat7 only because i got a nice deal on it back then and the cable is usually thicker with Cat7. Cat6 will be more than enough for your needs.

Cat 7 is not a standard cable and honestly a waste of money.

Cat 5e can do 10 gig up to 30m and 6 a bit further.

Just stick with 6 or 6a