Need Advice for Upgrades (CPU or GPU first)

This is the first time I've decided to upgrade my GPU and CPU and I'm not really sure where to start.  I'm planning to upgrade both by the end of the year, one late July because birthday (gotta treat yourself), and one around the holidays.  I don't want to upgrade both immediately because I have smaller budgets for both occasions.  Planning for a white theme for setup and build.

My current build can be found here: 

I've had this build for a little over two years, the only used parts are the GPU and CPU.  All of my other parts were given to me brand new and unopened at the time.  The only upgrade since then was my SSD.  My system is currently used for gaming and video editing, streaming is something I'd like to get into.

For the GPU upgrade, I decided on an RTX 2070.  It's a little overkill but it'll run the games very nicely and I plan on upgrading from 1080p anyways.  However, still open to other suggestions.

I haven't decided which CPU to upgrade to yet but I know that I'll also need to upgrade my motherboard and RAM in the process.  This is due to the fact that my current parts are DDR3.  Budget for CPU alone is about 400 (may push more).

I'd just like opinions on which upgrade would be most beneficial for me before I upgrade the other.  I'd also like some suggestions on what CPU I should plan on buying, I'm not really set on AMD or Intel yet either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by KenoIsKey
Added more specifics

20 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

We should know more about AMD CPUs and GPUs next week.. Don't do anything until then..

Just so what he said makes sense. Ryzen 3000 / Navi GPUs are going to be announced next week, and most likely to be released on 7/7 due to the 7nm cores that they make now. This announcement will definitely bring the price of many things down as AMD is very aggressive on their pricing. Your CPU is going to need the upgrade first IMO. But right now one of the best deals that you could pair with the 2070 is gonna be the i7-8700. It's 300 flat on Amazon right now.  But if you would push for it the i7-9700k is around $400. At this time( like for the next couple weeks) the only reason to get AMD is if you have an under $200 budget for the CPU or if you really need the cores at a lower price point. But Leaks for their Ryzen 5 3600 (x maybe) seem to be about as powerful as the i7-9700k and AMD prices their Ryzen 5s at the launch at 200 to 300. That's why many people are saying to wait. Zen 2 is coming.

Edited by OmicronEta
Fixing spelling

Home Base : Ryzen 5 2400G - ASROCK HDV R4.0 B450M -  Corsair Vengance Pro RGB 2x8GB @3200Mhz - Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT - WB Black (2018) 500GB NVME SSD - 250GB WD (P.O.S.) HDD - 250GB LITEONIT SSD - Cougar MX330 ATX Tower - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GQ 750W Gold- Razer Deathaddder Elite - Corsair K55 RGB Keyboard

Replace the CPU first in that. That CPU is well beyond it's useful life. (Only Broadwell (ix-5xxx series or later) are worth holding onto right now)

The GPU in that is still good for at least one more year if you aren't doing anything at 4K.

Still, I'd suggest waiting for the new AMD Ryzen CPU's. 

Thank you for letting me know about Zen 2.  Seeing AMD's new launch will be worth waiting for.

My i5 2500k was retired from gaming it 2016. I was good with a GTX 970 but not with a GTX 980 ti.

It is still in use as a media computer but it will be replaced some time this year with a i7 6700k.

I think going with a 2070 first is a good idea since it is not a good time to upgrade a CPU. Then later you will have a much better choice and even some discounted prices on a CPU.

My i7 2600k was not overclocked for the last 2 years I used it and it had no trouble running a GTX 1080 ti at 3440 X 1440. 

Going with a 1440p 75hz monitor as a second upgrade is a good idea since it will take pressure off the CPU.

Then get a CPU after all the dust has settled after the AMD and later Intel launches.

Modern open world games like SSDs so forget about the 5400rpm HD. Get a 1tb SATA SSD($ 140 US) and a USB HD dock($15 to $25 US) for your existing drive. Later in the year you will be able to get a USB 2 to 4tb external drive on sale for around the same price as the WD Red.

This is the setup I use now and I am going 2tb SSDs and 4tb WD Passports for music and other stuff that don't need to be on an SSD. I am just waiting for the right sale.

My old 1tb SSDs are going into laptops replacing 5400rpm HDs so nothing is wasted.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV