How do I select all layers in an area, without linking them?

TL;DR: Just read the bold text.

Hi. I use Photoshop a lot, I've mostly taught myself and I know about linking and grouping layers, but sometimes that's not good enough for a task. Here is a crappy example I threw together for asking this question: 

image.thumb.png.133d2b2e6bbee698a209e5ecc48d066e.png

Now let's say I want to move the entire group for "Item 2". If I click any 1 of the linked layers the entire thing moves, BUT, the picture I added won't come along. It's not linked. I don't want it linked, that will get annoying when all my shitty balls sell out, now I have this layer hanging around. It's better for me to just delete the one layer without it being linked when they sell out. But, if it's not linked then it won't come along with the rest when I drag it around:

image.thumb.png.587ee9aef259a2234557ff64f6ead2db.png

I want to select everything, linked or not. This is especially a problem with big files where I may have as many as 50 layers in groups and subgroups linked as needed but not all to each other, and I want to click and drag the entire thing, or nudge it left or right a few pixels so it lines up with another group. Is there some tool or key I can hold down, so I just draw a selection box around the entire group, and all visible layers get selected? Even if it selects the BG layer, I can just "Ctrl" deselect it. That would be so much easier than trying to find every single layer in a huge group that needs to be selected together. 

Thank you!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-