Latest laptops

Evenin' all o/

I posted almost two years ago asking for suggestions for a replacement of my old laptop and just never had the time to do it... BUT, it's come time that I need to and I could really use some help.

I am going to be moving overseas soon! And no longer will I have a desktop at home and a laptop on the go :/ I re-watched the portable gaming setup video ( linked below ) and am wondering what everyone's opinions are, whether the video is still relevant or if any new and exciting options have opened up! I would really appreciate the help.

To get to the meat of it, I'm looking for a laptop that I can use for work and play. I'll probably get myself a screen and a keyboard at home to plug into ( along with an external GPU if it comes to that ), so having decent I/O for that would really be ideal. I want something that's good value! I'll say a max budget of $2,000 if it's really worth it, but I would rather not spend all of that in one go ? I'll be using it to play games like Warthunder and Wargame and occasionally push it with Starcitizen, as well as use it for work and study, doing development, digital drawing and watching videos.

• I don't want one of those massive gaming laptops, I still need to be able to carry the thing around, but I don't necessarily need an ultralight. So.. 15 - 17" is generally what I'm looking at, I do like big screens.
  • 1080p is fine, preferably a touch screen.
  • I neeed an SSD. Any extra storage would be great but I can live without, as long as I have a nice responsive SSD.
  • Battery life isn't too big of an issue, 4+ hours would be nice but I'm willing to make a compromise.
  • Right now I have 32Gbs of RAM in my desktop and as sad as I would be to downgrade I am alright with 8, though the ability to upgrade would be very nice. 16 Preferable.
  • I want an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU, mostly because of personal bias ? exact models are... flexible, as long as they get the job done, I don't need to show off. I am definitely open to en external GPU.
  • Do I have to mention Windows 10?

I think that's everything! Typing this up pretty late so if I've missed something I'll fill it in. Thank you for any advice in advance ❤️

Why not gaming laptop with thinner/lighter than average profile? Preferred max weight in kg/lbs?

Are 16GB RAM / 8GB upgradable and touch screen musts?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

11 hours ago, Wigit said:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233253 i recommend this gigabyte aero 15 because they are known to be good qualityand look pretty clean imo

That looks really awesome Wigit ? Thank you! I'll definitely keep this in mind. I like it.

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Why not gaming laptop with thinner/lighter than average profile? Preferred max weight in kg/lbs?

Are 16GB RAM / 8GB upgradable and touch screen musts?

Nothing wrong with a gaming laptop. I meant those really big chunky ones that need two power bricks, like the one in the video I linked.

Weight isn't too big of an issue, I just want it to fit in a regular backpack ?

If it's 8GB of RAM then it needs to be upgradable, anything 16GB+ I'd be happy with it soldered in. Touch screen isn't a must, just a huge plus.

16 minutes ago, Biscio said:

Nothing wrong with a gaming laptop. I meant those really big chunky ones that need two power bricks, like the one in the video I linked.

Weight isn't too big of an issue, I just want it to fit in a regular backpack ?

Nowadays most gaming laptops are fairly portable. Give a range - max weight in kg/lbs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Nowadays most gaming laptops are fairly portable. Give a range - max weight in kg/lbs?

Okay, let's give a max of around 3 Kg / 6.5 lbs

5 hours ago, Biscio said:

Ok so if you are really into getting an egpu and using it then get a Razer blade stealth, HP Spectre x360, dell XPS 13 9380, LG gram(the 13" 15" 17" are super light. 17" comes at about 1"2kg. These have models with the i7 8565u and 8550u), Huawei matebook 13,14 or matebook x pro. For laptops with dgpu there are the Razer blade 15, MSI gs65 or P65 or ps63(for less GPU power but good), dell XPS 15 9570, Asus zenbooks. Many laptops are rolling out with the Intel 9th gen H series could and Nvidia 16 series laptops. These included most people f the laptops I listed for dgpu laptops.

If you ever consider something with an AMD ryzen then go for the Asus zephyrus G GA502 - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-max-q-512gb-solid-state-drive-metalic-hairline-black/6335912.p?skuId=6335912

9 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

Razer blade stealth

Razer blade 15

Bad QC+QA and after sales

LG gram

MSI gs65 or P65

Flimsy build quality (new GS is fine)

dell XPS 15 9570

Many issues

GA502

No reviews. From what I read the iGPU can hamper gaming performance

15 hours ago, Biscio said:

Will get back to you soon

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

22 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

Ok so if you are really into getting an egpu and using it then get a Razer blade stealth, HP Spectre x360, dell XPS 13 9380, LG gram(the 13" 15" 17" are super light. 17" comes at about 1"2kg. These have models with the i7 8565u and 8550u), Huawei matebook 13,14 or matebook x pro. For laptops with dgpu there are the Razer blade 15, MSI gs65 or P65 or ps63(for less GPU power but good), dell XPS 15 9570, Asus zenbooks. Many laptops are rolling out with the Intel 9th gen H series could and Nvidia 16 series laptops. These included most people f the laptops I listed for dgpu laptops.

If you ever consider something with an AMD ryzen then go for the Asus zephyrus G GA502 - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-max-q-512gb-solid-state-drive-metalic-hairline-black/6335912.p?skuId=6335912

Those are some nice suggestions, thank you ❤️ I think I'm starting to lean towards a dedicated GPU, those laptops look like they line up better with what I want. The Zephyrus actually looks really nice ? It'll just take some time for me to get over my AMD prejudice xp Had some bad experiences in the past with them.

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Bad QC+QA and after sales

Flimsy build quality (new GS is fine)

Many issues

No reviews. From what I read the iGPU can hamper gaming performance

Will get back to you soon

Aaand thank you for the reviews! I'll keep what you said in mind while I'm looking! I was liking the MSI laptops but yeah, flimsy or poor build quality isn't nice, especially when the thing isn't particularly cheap. Looking forward to hearing from you :3

34 minutes ago, Biscio said:

Those are some nice suggestions, thank you ❤️ I think I'm starting to lean towards a dedicated GPU, those laptops look like they line up better with what I want. The Zephyrus actually looks really nice ? It'll just take some time for me to get over my AMD prejudice xp Had some bad experiences in the past with them.

Aaand thank you for the reviews! I'll keep what you said in mind while I'm looking! I was liking the MSI laptops but yeah, flimsy or poor build quality isn't nice, especially when the thing isn't particularly cheap. Looking forward to hearing from you :3

What @GeneXiS_X said is though majorly true. I still think the razer blade's are good options, but keep in mind the blade 15 often gets very loud. Meanwhile the only stealth with 512gb space is $1800 but you can get it for less than $1400 from amazon warehouse which guarantees you returns and warranties.

I forgot to tell you about the acer predator triton 500, most reviewers have said it to be the rtx laptop with the best bang for your buck.

3 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

What @GeneXiS_X said is though majorly true. I still think the razer blade's are good options, but keep in mind the blade 15 often gets very loud. Meanwhile the only stealth with 512gb space is $1800 but you can get it for less than $1400 from amazon warehouse which guarantees you returns and warranties.

I forgot to tell you about the acer predator triton 500, most reviewers have said it to be the rtx laptop with the best bang for your buck.

Yeah.. I mean Razer does usually make nice things... Though recently my Razer mouse gave out just as it got out of warranty, which was annoying. So I'm having my doubts about their QC lately. $1400 is pretty good though.

I'll check out the Acer!

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, Biscio said:

Yeah.. I mean Razer does usually make nice things... Though recently my Razer mouse gave out just as it got out of warranty, which was annoying. So I'm having my doubts about their QC lately. $1400 is pretty good though.

I'll check out the Acer!

Well, laptops are different from peripherals so maybe they treat them better. I've seen some people still with the blade 15 in good shape

On 5/21/2019 at 7:36 AM, Biscio said:

snip

Hmm looks like eGPU is the way to go. Can consider HP Spectre x360 15

Desktop specs:

Spoiler