Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrispyFreshEthan

Ryzen 2600 overclock on stock cooler?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I am a noob when it comes to CPU overclocking, and I'm just building my new rig soon and I was wondering what the best overclock (clock speed, volts, whatever) would be best for a 2600 with the stock cooler, it'll be on an Asrock B450M Steel Legend so vrm cooling shouldn't be a problem as the heat sinks on that thing are pretty big for its size and price. Airflow in the case will be OK, it wont be the best but it won't be terrible (2 fans pulling in on the front, 2 pushing out, one top, one back, all 120mm, 1000-1300rpm) 

So any suggestions on what will be possible with that config? 

I wouldn't advise overclocking the 2600 with the stock cooler. The 2600 comes with the Wraith Stealth, not the Wraith Spire like the 1600 or 2600X. The Wraith Stealth just does not cut it for overclocking an hexacore.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (3.6GHz; 1.25v) Cooler:  Noctua NF-A9x14 on Wraith Spire Heatsink Mobo: Asus Strix B350-i GPU: EVGA XC Gaming RTX 2070 RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 14CL 2x8GB SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB M.2 PSUCorsair SF450 Case: Fractal Design Node 202 Monitor1ViewSonic XG2401 144Hz 24" / AOC G2460PF 144Hz 24"

Laptop

Microsoft Surface

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button. 

Spoiler

Other Builds:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 Cooler: Wraith Stealth Mobo: Biostar X370GTN GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB RAM: Corsair LPX 3000MHz 15CL 2x8GB SSD0: Crucial BX500 480GB PSU: Corsair SF450 Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B White

Retired Devices and Inventory:

• Asus NV56 17" (i7-3360QM, NVIDIA GT 650M, DDR3 8GB) laptop
  • Lenovo Thinkpad X220 12" (i5 vPro 2520M, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Samsung DDR3 1300MHz 9CL 2x4GB) laptop

Get a better cooler... the stock cooler does not even allow the stock CPU to sustain all core turbo without dropping clock. Well, maybe if you override the fan speed and set it higher it might give you something to play with.

OC gains aren't massive anyway, given all core turbo (with sufficient cooling) is 3.9 GHz, and non-extreme overclocks would be in ball park of 4.2 GHz.

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 2x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 3600, Noctua D9L, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 2x4GB, EVGA GTX 970, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, Crucial MX300 525GB, Acer RT280K

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6600k stock, Silverstone TD03-E, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-7800X, i7-5930k, i7-5820k, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700T, i5-6600k, i7-5775C, i5-5675C, i5-4570S, i3-8350k, i3-6100, i3-4360, i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, E5-2667, R7 3700X, R5 3600

I would try to get the Max Spire or whatever it is that comes with 7 2700X with rgb bling and stuff, usually not that expensive.

1 hour ago, Oalei said:

I would try to get the Max Spire or whatever it is that comes with 7 2700X with rgb bling and stuff, usually not that expensive.

i thought about that but i will probably just get a proper cooler (stuck between the ml240 and the arctic freezer34) as its only like £10 more

1 minute ago, CrispyFreshEthan said:

i thought about that but i will probably just get a proper cooler (stuck between the ml240 and the arctic freezer34) as its only like £10 more

Well I suggest that mostly for esthetic, yeah proper cooler will give you better temps tbh. ML240 a AIO? I would get that.

15 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Well I suggest that mostly for esthetic, yeah proper cooler will give you better temps tbh. ML240 a AIO? I would get that.

yep its an aio, i hear the pumps on aios can sometimes die within a year, that true?

2 minutes ago, CrispyFreshEthan said:

yep its an aio, i hear the pumps on aios can sometimes die within a year, that true?

Yeah I won't lie about that, it's a like a mid tier aio but for that price I wouldn't mine tbh. When pumps die you can hear it being load at or temps is high. But IDK about pumps (ML240) dying a year because it depends on maintance and quality of aio. Well get 34 Duo if you don't want aio, I would personally choose whichever is cheaper.

Depending on your location, but, Alpenföhn Brocken Eco Advanced, Be Quiet! Pure Rock or Scythe Kotetsu mk. III would be more than suitable for the task. Even the ultrabudget-cheapo DeepCool Gammaxx400 vastly outperforms the stock Wraith stealth cooler, and it's roughly 25USD~23eur~hétezerötszázhuff

And no, I still won't recommend noctua products due to their overinflated prices : )

13 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Yeah I won't lie about that, it's a like a mid tier aio but for that price I wouldn't mine tbh. When pumps die you can hear it being load at or temps is high. But IDK about pumps (ML240) dying a year because it depends on maintance and quality of aio. Well get 34 Duo if you don't want aio, I would personally choose whichever is cheaper.

yeah duo 34 is £12 cheaper so illl probably go with that, thanks though!

2 minutes ago, CrispyFreshEthan said:

yeah duo 34 is £12 cheaper so illl probably go with that, thanks though!

Well hope you like the performance, how about others anything You See in particular?

14 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Well hope you like the performance

is that a bad thing or a good thing?

how about others anything You See in particular?

theres the hyper 212 black edition

Well hope you like the performance

how about others anything You See in particular?

13 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Out of curiosity, from which site would You order the cooler?

either amazon or CCL if they have it, im in the uk tho so idk if CCL is just here or if its global or whatever.

1 minute ago, CrispyFreshEthan said:

Well the performance of those 2 is kinda the same. No for the price it's a great cooler, it's not a bad thing just don't expect anything extra from a budget cooler.

Well the performance of those 2 is kinda the same

ok cool 

just don't expect anything extra from a budget cooler

yeah its fine its just instead of the stock cooler do it doesn't really matter

11 minutes ago, CrispyFreshEthan said:

either amazon or CCL if they have it, im in the uk tho so idk if CCL is just here or if its global or whatever.

What is the highest cooler you can fit in your case?  Any budget target? 

Would an alpenföhn brocken3 fit?  Or a be quiet dark rock pro?  These would be fine picks as well. ~165 mm stack height 

38 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

What is the highest cooler you can fit in your case?

im pretty sure its 160mm max

39 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Any budget target? 

preferably less than £40 ($60)

Alpenföhn brocken Eco is 30quid on overclockers.co.uk

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-047-al.html

Bq pure rock is also good for 30.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=be+quiet+pure+rock

Scythe kotetsu mkii 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-kotetsu-mark-ii-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-048-sy.html

Significantly more capable than the qraith stealth. BQ and alpenföhn perform roughly the same, the scythe is also very similar in potency of keeping your cpu kühl. 

16 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Alpenföhn brocken Eco is 30quid on overclockers.co.uk

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-047-al.html

Bq pure rock is also good for 30.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=be+quiet+pure+rock

Scythe kotetsu mkii 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-kotetsu-mark-ii-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-048-sy.html

Significantly more capable than the qraith stealth. BQ and alpenföhn perform roughly the same, the scythe is also very similar in potency of keeping your cpu kühl. 

okay thanks ill have a look!