Samsung announces 3nm MBCFET

Stroal
22 hours ago, Arika S said:

Wonder what material they are going to use to prevent quantum tunneling which was the reason most people didn't think you could go smaller than 7nm.

sometimes i think people forget that Samsung is the largest Semiconductor manufacturer in the world since everyone gets caught up on TSMC and Intel, though that might be because their focus isn't on Microprocessors. would love to see Samsung join the race for CPUs though

Graphene has been talked up to be the super material of the future. It is a far better semiconductor than Si but has not really gone through mass production. It remains a semiconductor at voltages far below Si allowing voltages to drop significantly over the current materials used.

4 minutes ago, ThePD said:

Graphene has been talked up to be the super material of the future. It is a far better semiconductor than Si but has not really gone through mass production. It remains a semiconductor at voltages far below Si allowing voltages to drop significantly over the current materials used.

IMO molybdenite seems like a better way forward over graphene. 

23 hours ago, Stroal said:

That's all they do now, but they are the largest semiconductor manufacturing in the world. I'd love to see a collab between them and Intel / AMD. It would benefit both companies. I could at least see them licensing MBCFET, as it seems to be a better way forward over FF.

Intel overtook them today. ?

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm really not sure what you fail to understand. ISA/architectural improvements can increase IPC. No one doubts this. There are numerous examples. These increases are limited, however. And come increasingly at a higher fixed base cost, with lower yields, while maintaining the same node.

So, what's your point? We've done really well on 14nm. Are you saying we should just stop here?

They want more silicone. They think the silicone is being stolen from them. They think the physical weight/size of the silicone matters and has cost, and they lost to a *smaller* chips being sold. They forget the time + expertise + technology being put into that. They expect a 50mm chip on 5nm lithography for the price of a cup of coffee because "intel it taking all the wafer and not passing on the cost savings to us!!!". :/

16 hours ago, pas008 said:

-snip-

There's one thing you must remember: the BOM cost of the CPU you buy is a few bucks, the R&D cost is a few billion. 

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

18 hours ago, TechyBen said:

They want more silicone. They think the silicone is being stolen from them. They think the physical weight/size of the silicone matters and has cost, and they lost to a *smaller* chips being sold. They forget the time + expertise + technology being put into that. They expect a 50mm chip on 5nm lithography for the price of a cup of coffee because "intel it taking all the wafer and not passing on the cost savings to us!!!". :/

I mean some people want saline instead

_91929179_c0124133-breast_implants-spl.j

6 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

There's one thing you must remember: the BOM cost of the CPU you buy is a few bucks, the R&D cost is a few billion. 

Yeah, Gamers Nexus got a few "free samples" of failed dies/chips. Those are less than worthless with the exception of secret R&D etc. So once the patent expires/competition catches up, it does not matter if someone else can see it, and the wafer is trash. Though really expensive to make (pure, clean etc), it's cheap in the comparison to everything else.