Need advice for upgrading

Hey, right now i own a 1200d and i'm looking to upgrade. I mainly do night and street photography and portraits, sometimes landscape too...

I thought about getting the a7 ii but im not sure if its the right thing for me...

I could get it with a 28-70mm kit lens for about 1000€ (1.100 usd) 

I am open to any reccomendations :)

4 hours ago, Fake Deemon© said:

Hey, right now i own a 1200d and i'm looking to upgrade. I mainly do night and street photography and portraits, sometimes landscape too...

I thought about getting the a7 ii but im not sure if its the right thing for me...

I could get it with a 28-70mm kit lens for about 1000€ (1.100 usd) 

I am open to any reccomendations :)

Can you tell us a little more about what you're looking for in the upgrade?

Are you missing shots from slow focus performance? Are you looking for sharper detail? etc.

What glass do you have right now?

Used d750 with a used tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC or better yet, a combination of a used wideangle and a fast d series prime. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

12 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

Can you tell us a little more about what you're looking for in the upgrade?

Are you missing shots from slow focus performance? Are you looking for sharper detail? etc.

What glass do you have right now?

Yeah sure, focus Performance is alright but im mainly looking for sharper detail and better low light performance.

Right now i have a 18 - 55 f3.5 kit lens and a 70-300 telezoom from tamron

12 hours ago, cc143 said:

Used d750 with a used tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC or better yet, a combination of a used wideangle and a fast d series prime. 

Why exactly the d750? What d series prime would you recommend?

1 hour ago, Fake Deemon© said:

Why exactly the d750? What d series prime would you recommend?

Because its well known for high iso performance and high dynamic range, there are many available for a cheap price in the used market and it has an AF motor which allows you to use older f mount af glass to its full potential and there's a bunch of stuff out there for that purpose. Its also much more reliable, durable and much more comfortable to use than any Sony out there. 

I don't have a specific lens in mind that would certainly fit your budget, its just something you could go for in the future even, but something like the 105mm f/2 or that sort of thing. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

Because its well known for high iso performance and high dynamic range, there are many available for a cheap price in the used market and it has an AF motor which allows you to use older f mount af glass to its full potential and there's a bunch of stuff out there for that purpose. Its also much more reliable, durable and much more comfortable to use than any Sony out there. 

I don't have a specific lens in mind that would certainly fit your budget, its just something you could go for in the future even, but something like the 105mm f/2 or that sort of thing. 

Thanks for your help :)

25 minutes ago, Fake Deemon© said:

Thanks for your help :)

Slight note, the camera was plagues with shutter issues I believe and there had been recalls on it. Regardless, I've seen many people use them reliably since, even though its an older camera, if you don't need it for video, its excellent. Just keep that in mind and do your research before buying.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, Fake Deemon© said:

Yeah sure, focus Performance is alright but im mainly looking for sharper detail and better low light performance.

Right now i have a 18 - 55 f3.5 kit lens and a 70-300 telezoom from tamron

The 1200D has an older 18mp sensor that didn't do so well in the noise department compared to newer products. Still not a bad camera though. For what you are looking at spending maybe take a look at the Canon RP. Already there are some in the Canon refurb store popping up occasionally so might be worth checking there if you want to save a little. Or look for any of the newer crop bodied cameras like the 77D which will take all your current lenses and cost a lot less. There is one in the refurb store for $518 at the moment. That will allow you to add a fast lens or two, such as the 40mm pancake lens which is great for street. 

As much as I recommend Sony, I'd hesitate on the A7II. Autofocus and battery life are both issues. I second a Nikon D750. What kind of night photography are you doing? Are you shooting the night sky?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Since you already have EF glass makes sense to stay with Canon and EOS RP or the 6D MK2 are the best value for full frame which are great what you want to shoot. If you are willing to switch brands and sell your current lenses The D750 is excellent camera and is still Nikon's price to performance/value FF body for stills. Whatever you get though you will want good glass to go with it. The 50 & 85 F1.8 would be great for portraits and maybe some street shooting on a budget with the D750 or Canon 6D MK2. With the 6DMK2 though keep in mind EF-S glass is not physically compatible with it or any Canon FF DSLR but at least for stills you won't want to use it anyway.

If you have a bigger budget the A7lll and the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 (if you can find it in stock lol) is also worth considering. Keep in mind though Sony's glass is usually more expensive compared to Canon or Nikon's DSLR glass,  the current Mk3 A7/A9 Bodies might be too small and compact for some users and the bodies are not as weather sealed as the DSLR's.

But in most cases if you take common sense precautions like keeping the port covers closed and hotshoe covered when its wet outside most prosumer bodies will do just fine in most conditions (outside of heavy downpour). Tamron and Sigma have value priced glass for Sony E mount (like the 28-75 F2.8, Sigma's Art primes and Tamron's upcoming 17-28 F2.8). Also the small size and electronic/silent shutter of the A7lll & most mirrorless cameras can help you blend in more and possibly get more candid street pictures, The A7lll and most current mirrorless bodies is also USB chargeable and some models can be powered over USB. Also more mirrorless bodies offer In Body Sensor Stabilization with help's with handheld shots and video regardless of lens For portraits most mirrorless bodies offer or will offer Eye AF which can help speed up the workflow while shooting and allows the shooter to focus on composition, lighting, etc while the eye is kept in focus by the camera automatically even while the subject moves around the frame. 

Whatever you decide to upgrade to, if you have access to a local camera store try renting the body and a lens and get some hands on time with the gear to make sure the controls, ergonomics and UI works for you before pulling the trigger.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Memory: 32GB 3600mhz DDR4 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 |
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, 850 Evo 500gb, 960 Pro 1tb | Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling Loop (CPU/GPU) | Case: CaseLabs Mercury S8+Pedestal  | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + PA238QR