iPhone vs Android – The FIVE Year Test

jakkuh_t
On 4/25/2019 at 8:33 PM, poochyena said:

I don't understand why linus always acts like a phone without updates might as well be paper weights

Security reasons i guess.

14 hours ago, ElaTheDeveloper said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you grab an old iOS IPSW file you can open iTunes, hold option while clicking on the reset button in iOS and then select the IPSW and boom old iOS.

Otherwise cool video :D

Only if Apple is still code signing that version of iOS for that particular model of iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.

5 hours ago, NickCatal said:

You gave an app you found on a forum admin rights on your PC, and root-level rights on your phone.

You are relying on a 3rd party not only to provide you security updates, but also to provide you actual security updates and not malware designed as a security update.

You're using an unauthorized copy of Google's play software from a 3rd party forum, which you need to enter your Google credentials into.

Your device is rooted, so Play apps which may have minimal review by Google can get root-level permissions with a tap.

There was a lot of security risks that were completely glossed over in this video.

While you're not wrong, anyone using any software they didn't compile themselves, with a compiler they also wrote themselves, is also cause for security concern.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

hello there,

a bit late but here's my reaction

warning : I'm in no way a phone expert, and I'll give my european point of view

searched for LG G3 d855 (international right), found it for over 70€ without a new battery

less than 50€ is for non-functional phones used for parts only

so 70€ at minimum (probably more, mileage may vary) for a used phone with scratches most of the time  + about 20€ for a brand new battery
+ the work to root it & install the ROM & the rest on it

and recently there was a deal for the Xiaomi Mi A2 for 135€ , brand new .....
and I'm pretty sure there's other phone references worth looking at ?

honestly, I find it hard to find the LG G3 a good deal in those conditions it's only a 45€ difference after all...

maybe it's europe, but I find used phones in general overpriced

Honestly, I would go with a S5. 1080p+2GB RAM, but has fingerprint+nfc (meaning Google Pay support, as long as you have a credit card you can use it with), and LOS16 (Android Pie). And unlike G3, won't suddenly die on you (the screen just died on my G3).

Just a FYI though: the S5 supports MicroUSB3, don't bother, MicroUSB2 still works, and you can't root with MicroUSB3 anyway.  

Edited by plurus

NFC ugh it's a huge security hole in my book

and as for the screen, would need higher statistics than just : "hey my G3 device had my screen die on me"

I mean, samsung ain't perfect either, wife has an S3 mini, only the battery died (replaceable) and she also has an S5 mini, GPS is giving trouble, as well as the ambiant light detector or whatever it is (automatic brightness blinking)

though these incidents barely mean anything without the bigger picture. it could be isolated incidents that fall within 1% of users

On 4/25/2019 at 9:03 PM, jakkuh_t said:

A look into whether an updated Android phone from 5 years ago is still usable today, compared to it’s STILL updated Apple

Tutorial: 

How to get my Galaxy S5 Mini up and running? need some help with the files needed.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:29 PM, thelongdifference said:

How to get my Galaxy S5 Mini up and running? need some help with the files needed.

Check XDA. S5 Mini is not S5, and doesn't have official Lineage OS.