High temperatures on motherboard S5500BC

Reddax

Hi,

I'm running Unraid on my S5500BC motherboard using both cpu slots and it's showing very high temps for the "Intel5500 - MB temp". At Idle it's hitting around 77 degrees celcius, whereas the cpus are sitting at 28 degrees.

I've attached an image with an arrow pointing to possibly the heatsink that's hitting this high temp, as it feels extremely hot ?. Do I need to be worried about it hitting so high at idle? Can I get a fan to clip onto it to cool it down?

smb10219-w1802-2.jpg

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

airflow from the cpu cooler should cover that heatsink. the smaller one between the two cpu sockets may be overheating.a case with alot of airflow for these boards is what they are designed for.

1 hour ago, mineblaster said:

airflow from the cpu cooler should cover that heatsink. the smaller one between the two cpu sockets may be overheating.a case with alot of airflow for these boards is what they are designed for.

Those older chipsets also just run hot as hell, my S5520HC boards do the same thing. @Reddax As long as they stay below 90C you're good.

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

Those older chipsets also just run hot as hell, my S5520HC boards do the same thing. @Reddax As long as they stay below 90C you're good.

Decided to just go for it and bought a super cheap 40mm fan and screwed it straight into the heatsink and brought it down to about 50 degrees. Doesn't make any more noise and brings down the temps so I'm happy ?

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Reddax
added a piccy

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.