Best CPU for AM3+ socket?

can anyone help me im not trying to buy a new motherboard and just want a new CPU that will help with the bottleneck i have now 

What bottleneck do you currently have?

Depending on your scenario, it may not end up being worthwhile to upgrade your CPU anyway.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What bottleneck do you currently have?

Depending on your scenario, it may not end up being worthwhile to upgrade your CPU anyway.

i have a CPU Bottleneck 

2 minutes ago, anthony man said:

can anyone help me im not trying to buy a new motherboard and just want a new CPU that will help with the bottleneck i have now 

i think you may be low on budget and want tokeep your ddr3 rams working.

you may consider haswell i5 and any cheapest working mobo (h81 etc)

3 minutes ago, anthony man said:

i have a CPU Bottleneck 

What are your specifications? I could tell you had a CPU bottleneck based on the fact that your post title had "AM3+" in it.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What are your specifications? I could tell you had a CPU bottleneck based on the fact that your post title had "AM3+" in it.

never mind people are telling me on a differ post i should upgrade my motherboard before anything so im going to do that because am3+ is out dated same with the motherboard but thank you 

3 minutes ago, anthony man said:

never mind people are telling me on a differ post i should upgrade my motherboard before anything so im going to do that because am3+ is out dated same with the motherboard but thank you 

My overall point was eventually that you should get a newer better platform, but I was just wondering if a CPU upgrade would be at least a temporary fix for you.

Keep in mind if you upgrade to anything Ryzen or newer than Skylake, you will need DDR4 memory as well.

6 minutes ago, anthony man said:

i should upgrade my motherboard before anything so im going to do that because am3+ is out dated same with the motherboard but thank you 

if the motherboard is working properly, theres no need to replace it. mobo does not give any performance gain. 

sad to tell that you if you need new mobo for overclocking, it makes so tiny un noticeable improvement on old cpu and not worth it. 

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

if the motherboard is working properly, theres no need to replace it. mobo does not give any performance gain. 

sad to tell that you if you need new mobo for overclocking, it makes so tiny un noticeable improvement on old cpu and not worth it. 

okay but what does am3+ mean does that mean its with am3 and more or is it just the name 

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

1. Nope that's not right.  If the motherboard is outdated there is every reason to replace it.  You don't throw money at a dead-end, it's not wise.

2. Motherboards don't by themselves increase performance but that's not the whole story.  A newer CPU sure does, better OC-support, VRM Cooling, and feature sets sure as heck do gain in performance (M.2 ports, etc)
3. He didn't say he's buying a new motherboard just to overclock, read the exact phrasing.

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

No, we were not telling him to upgrade the motherboard so he could overclock. We were telling him that upgrading the AM3 chip to another AM3 chip isn't worth it to pair with his 1060 3GB, that even a cheap Ryzen setup would be better than AM3 (especially considering the prices dropping for Ryzen 1st generation right now).

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

2 minutes ago, anthony man said:

okay but what does am3+ mean does that mean its with am3 and more or is it just the name 

Just the name of the old CPU Socket.  It's a dead-end socket so you want AM4 or another modern CPU socket.

4 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

OP needs a new board to switch to a newer platform.

5 minutes ago, anthony man said:

AM3 and AM3+ are two different kinds of motherboard architecture. CPU's made for AM3 will work on AM3+ motherboards, but AM3+ CPU's will not work on an AM3 motherboard.

AM4 is about a bajillion times better than either AM3 or AM3+. I know it's cost and work to upgrade. But this is how you'll get rid of bottle necking the smart way.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

Just now, NickPickerWI said:

AM3 and AM3+ are two different kinds of motherboard architecture. CPU's made for AM3 will work on AM3+ motherboards, but AM3+ CPU's will not work on an AM3 motherboard.

okay 

I heard that you're trying to hold onto the motherboard that you currently have. Please note that while it may be worth while to consider a 400-series AM4 chipset/motherboard in the near future (for long-term planning), your best option is likely to be what @quakeguy81 has mentioned. Make sure you have a decent power supply, and VRM setup (cooling as well - you'll need it). Also, please update your profile with the specs of your current computer :D Welcome to LTT forums!

Well the best cpu for AM3+ is the FX 9590 (Which I have!). It's an FX 8350 overclocked to 4.7ghz with 5ghz boost. However...

What is your motherboard? Because even some of the lesser 990fx boards struggle with the demands of the 9590. And you will also need a very high quality cooler. Despite what some say, air cooling is fine on the FX 9590, BUT it must be the very best coolers. No hyper 212 or AMD stock cooler should be going anywhere near the 9590. I use an Noctua NH-D15 for my 9590.

If you have a 970 motherboard or anything less for that matter, DO NOT under any circumstances use that board for a 9590. And I mean it. You're looking at a potential fire situation there. If you have a 990fx motherboard, let us know what board it is because most will support the 9590 but not all and some do it a lot better than others. And make sure you have at least a single fan on the case near the motherboard to cool it down. That is crucial for the 9590. And I don't mean a fan on the other side of the case. I mean a fan near the motherboard vrms, I can't stress that enough.

If you don't have the motherboard for that and have at minimum a 970 board, then get the 8350 or 8370. Those are the next best thing and are not anywhere near as demanding.

But if we're honest, just get a ryzen 3 2200g/1200 and be done with it. Even if it means getting a new motherboard and ram.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, vikasbhatnagar said:

I personally recommend you to go with am3+ CPU because there is a quicker sequential connection of 3400 kHz from the CPU to the power controller, contrasted with 400 kHz. The AM3+ CPU offers improved power guideline and power quality details, including an expanded most extreme current help of 145 A versus 110 A.

No.

This thread has already reached a conclusion and that post doesn't add something to make it worth worth necro'ing it for. Socket AM3+ is outdated and dead and no one should be recommending it in 2019 let alone saying it's "improved" when Ryzen or Coffee Lake exist.

I'm not even going into the odd and potentially misleading/wrong information about 145 amps or 3400 kHz (not Ghz?) that doesn't apply to the topic.  Not to mention the link you input is for an old, outdated article from some site that doesn't even have modern articles (dead site, not worth using).

Don't bother upgrading AM3+. My FX8350 OCed severely bottlenecks even the GTX760 I have in that system. It's not worth the money to even consider an AM3+ system at this point. Just save up and make a modern upgrade when you can.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

2 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

If they have a quad and just need a little bit more power

Yeah but did you read what the situation is for THIS thread, or the responses that were already posted (almost 2 months ago now) between OP and those pointing out that removing a CPU bottleneck does not mean keeping AM3+ if his current CPU isn't good enough.