Best Beginner Programming Language?

Ethernet

Hello. Here is my story behind this. After high school (1-2 more years), I'm planning on taking Computer Science or Computer Programming (either way I'm going to be programming). I want to get ahead and start so I know what I'll be getting into. What computer programming language is the best to start out on? Keep in mind I will start to study that language in the summer when I'm offer school.

My PC Specs: Corsair HAF XB Case - i5 3570K CPU @ 4.2 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt Motherboard - 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz (4 x 4GB) RAM - Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W PSU - Nvidia GT 520 1GB Video Card (Upgrading Soon) - Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Boot + Some Programs) - Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3 HDD (Main Storage) - Hitachi 250GB Laptop HDD (Recording Storage, old HDD) - Hitachi 320GB HDD (Random Storage, old HDD) - Asus PB238Q 23" LCD IPS Monitor (Main) - Acer AL2017 20" LCD Monitor (Secondary) - Logitech Z623 Computer Speaker - Blue Snowball Microphone - Logitech K120 Keyboard - Lenovo Mouse

Java, it's a widely used language, pretty easy to learn, performance is "ok" and by the end of the summer you should be able to do something useful with it. Once you learn that, learning other languages like C and C++ will be easy (and C++ is another good place to start).

I believe that Python is a better language to learn first because it teaches code fundamentals and proper coding conventions, which is a higher priority than learning how to code. This is because people will read your code more than you will write it (Python philosophy).

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

Thank you for all the support. I think I might start with Python but I could change my mind since I will start learning in the summer when I have a lot more free time.

My PC Specs: Corsair HAF XB Case - i5 3570K CPU @ 4.2 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt Motherboard - 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz (4 x 4GB) RAM - Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W PSU - Nvidia GT 520 1GB Video Card (Upgrading Soon) - Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Boot + Some Programs) - Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3 HDD (Main Storage) - Hitachi 250GB Laptop HDD (Recording Storage, old HDD) - Hitachi 320GB HDD (Random Storage, old HDD) - Asus PB238Q 23" LCD IPS Monitor (Main) - Acer AL2017 20" LCD Monitor (Secondary) - Logitech Z623 Computer Speaker - Blue Snowball Microphone - Logitech K120 Keyboard - Lenovo Mouse

Thank you for all the support. I think I might start with Python but I could change my mind since I will start learning in the summer when I have a lot more free time.

Come back now, Ya hear?

The old forum.

The way i see it, if you learn one, you know them all.  The only thing you have to learn going from one language to another are the arguments, some other stuff, but i would say that you learn which ever sounds good because once you know one it makes it easier to learn the others!

In terms of which one will be most useful in the real world, I'd go with Java. If you want to know which will benefit you most for a programming course, ask. Do some research, get in touch with your college (or however your education system works), find out which languages will be used on the course and get a head start at those.

Although, as LimeFire said, once you've learned one and got your head around all the concepts, structuring, etc, you can pick up others really quickly. :)

In terms of which one will be most useful in the real world, I'd go with Java. If you want to know which will benefit you most for a programming course, ask. Do some research, get in touch with your college (or however your education system works), find out which languages will be used on the course and get a head start at those.

Although, as LimeFire said, once you've learned one and got your head around all the concepts, structuring, etc, you can pick up others really quickly. :)

I'd go with Java or C# for real world. They're both used frequently.

The old forum.

C++ or Java would be the easiest. Well... Python, Visual Basic is the easiest out of them all but not as useful as C#/C++/Java

I believe that Python is a better language to learn first because it teaches code fundamentals and proper coding conventions, which is a higher priority than learning how to code. This is because people will read your code more than you will write it (Python philosophy).

hay majorawsome you know of any good sites to start getting a understanding of python, next term in Uni I'll be using ARCGIS and i heard you need to know python

Its all about those volumetric clouds

find out what language you use at your course and stick to that, seriously knowing anything will kepp you well ahead of the curve for a while if you are starting a first year course

Ruby is nice

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I have been programming for a few years, and I started with C and C++, which are both great, widely used languages today. I recommend starting with C to get the basic concepts of functions down, as well as data types. Then move on to C++ where you will learn more object oriented programming, which is extremely useful and can also help you to learn languages like Java. After wrapping your head around the concepts in C and C++, most other languages will seem like a piece of cake to you.

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

i am also quite confuse in this area, how about php mysql ?

i did study c/c++/java during my school time, but i am not able to create any useful programs with it, maybe i am just not good at programming.

Currently i am working as an IT engineer, during my free time at work i read up some php & mysql.

using php/html/css/mysql i created some web application such as inventory system, registration system for internal department usage.

i felt that it is much better to use as there are so many open source js css i can used. Jquery/bootstrap etc.

btw i started with java by watching Stanford java lesson over YouTube, in school i started with C++   >   java   >    C.

Personally I went through Pascal and Delphi, not bad languages to learn with, but I'd start with a more widely used language. 

I'm currently doing a Comp Sci degree and the route they've chosen to take us through is Java > C++ > Python. With HTML (I know it's a syntax not a language) and MATLAB alongside. It's working for me and I'm finding Obj-C pretty easy to pick up.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

If you just want to do your feet in the water try html.. Its a Markup Language and is very simple.. After using html for a bit you will almost naturally go to Java as it compliments html so much in Web applications.. You may even end up doing php like me

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

I started with php, the fact that you can output to a browser is probably a good starting point for new programmers you can also do console if you wish, its C oriented so going to another language is easy. Most if not all the libraries are in the core package so no need to search for any, it is also not strict about variable types (newbie heaven :) ).

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I started with php, the fact that you can output to a browser is probably a good starting point for new programmers you can also do console if you wish, its C oriented so going to another language is easy. Most if not all the libraries are in the core package so no need to search for any, it is also not strict about variable types (newbie heaven :) ).

PHP is only a good starting language if you want to do web development, but even that is a stretch.

The old forum.

Definitely JAVA. There's nice tools for beginners, it's relatively easy to learn, the compiler is quite forgiving (as in it actually tells you where your mistakes were made, you will find that this wont always be the case for other compilers), and the syntax is similar to other C-based languages. The performance is okay but you should really see it more as a tool for learning than a language to use "for ever". When the day comes, C++ will forever rule! :)

Im 18 and didnt have a computer related back ground. I didnt even start using one untill a few years ago. It was in my first job where I started to learn python and really loved it. I then went on to vb.net and now I primarily work with php. Its the only one I have stuck with tbh. Its not the best language but its great fun and is very useful. 

Python, only took me 18 hours to learn it back to front. beat out Unreal script by 13 hours

Character artist in the Games industry.

Get ready to suffferr in computer science with countless nights gone by without a drop of sleep. lol jk *on topic* i think if you study a bit of python then work your way up with c++ you'll be fine