Anyway to get good internet with a modem that has a phone jack?

FadedCrown

Our internet has been pretty bad as of late, from dropping out sometimes to not working on certain devices and I was wondering if there is anyway we can get a solid connection with a phone jack.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

1 minute ago, FadedCrown said:

Our internet has been pretty bad as of late, from dropping out sometimes to not working on certain devices and I was wondering if there is anyway we can get a solid connection with a phone jack.

Define "Good."
Any DSL connection is gonna be sub 50mb/s round trip.

(DSL uses a phone modem to connect to da internets.) 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Just now, Brink2Three said:

Define "Good."
Any DSL connection is gonna be sub 50mb/s round trip.

(DSL uses a phone modem to connect to da internets.) 

Our speeds are fine but the consistency is not, I just want 100 Mb/s and a stable connection across my house. My younger brother has tons of dropouts and lag spikes because he is the furthest from our modem and router.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

Just now, FadedCrown said:

Our speeds are fine but the consistency is not, I just want 100 Mb/s and a stable connection across my house. My younger brother has tons of dropouts and lag spikes because he is the furthest from our modem and router.

Is he using wireless?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Is he using wireless?

Yes and I do not know of a way to get an Ethernet cable to his room, shoot I don't even have one on mine and it is pretty close to our setup.

OH WAIT I didn't understand your question. 

So cat5 (Old standard) can do 100Mb/s over 2 pair twisted copper, which a phone jack has. 

IS THAT what you're trying to do? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

OH WAIT I didn't understand your question. 

So cat5 (Old standard) can do 100Mb/s over 2 pair twisted copper, which a phone jack has. 

IS THAT what you're trying to do? 

I'm literally just trying to get a good internet modem that also has a phone jack on it.

2 minutes ago, FadedCrown said:

I'm literally just trying to get a good internet modem that also has a phone jack on it.

Your problem isn't the modem. Replacing it won't do jack shit about your wireless-connection. You need to either run ethernet-cables or add some wireless access-points closer to where e.g. your brother's room is.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

So is your actual service provider dropping connection or is it the wifi connection to your router/gateway that's the issue? 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

If the devices that you're having issues with are connecting to the modem via WIFI, then the largest issue is most likely your WIFI-router (Or modem, which you call it).

Without much knowledge about your set-up, I am going to assume that you have an ADSL modem from your ISP which has WIFI included into it.

I've had issue with those units degrading over time (Or in general; ISP provided ADSL modems with or without WIFI which has had their performance drop after time).

The easiest thing for you, is probably to get a proper WIFI router which you can connect to the modem via a regular CAT ethernet cable. Its quiet hard to find a "store-bought modem" these days, so its just easier to go out and buy a WIFI-router which will passthrough the signal from the modem via a regular ethernet cable.

It will require you to have "two boxes" instead of one, but at least you will be able to have better WIFI signal.. ISP provided equipment is rarely good quality stuff.. 

So is your actual service provider dropping connection or is it the wifi connection to your router/gateway that's the issue? 

It is most likely the connection to the router, I do believe our modem is DOCSIS 3.0 16x4, so that may not be the issue.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Your problem isn't the modem. Replacing it won't do jack shit about your wireless-connection. You need to either run ethernet-cables or add some wireless access-points closer to where e.g. your brother's room is.

Or he could run Cat5 standard over phone lines.

Cause that's a thing I did. 

5 minutes ago, FadedCrown said:

If it's a wireless issue, don't get a different modem. You can make rj45 to rj15 cables that will run the older cat5 standard over it so you can use the internal phone wiring. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

Just now, Inzelux said:

If the devices that you're having issues with are connecting to the modem via WIFI, then the largest issue is most likely your WIFI-router (Or modem, which you call it).

Without much knowledge about your set-up, I am going to assume that you have an ADSL modem from your ISP which has WIFI included into it.

I've had issue with those units degrading over time (Or in general; ISP provided ADSL modems with or without WIFI which has had their performance drop after time).

The easiest thing for you, is probably to get a proper WIFI router which you can connect to the modem via a regular CAT ethernet cable. Its quiet hard to find a "store-bought modem" these days, so its just easier to go out and buy a WIFI-router which will passthrough the signal from the modem via a regular ethernet cable.

It will require you to have "two boxes" instead of one, but at least you will be able to have better WIFI signal.. ISP provided equipment is rarely good quality stuff.. 

I should have been more clear, we have a router, it is a Sagemcom Fast 5260.

I should have been more clear, we have a router, it is a Sagemcom Fast 5260.

Okay, so you have a modem from your ISP, which you have connected to a router which has WIFI, which you are trying to connect to?

First thing I would do then, is to find out if low / bad WIFI signal is the issue, or if its the service from the ISP is having issues. (Basically; Do you remain connected to the WIFI while having no ethernet, or do you lose the wifi-connection all together?) 

Do you lose WIFI-signal on those devices that you are having issues with, or do you lose ethernet all together? (Wired devices; Do they still have a connection?).

If you are unsure, the easiest thing is probably to run a ethernet cable from the modem directly to a PC for a while, and see if its more stable that way. 

Just now, Inzelux said:

Okay, so you have a modem from your ISP, which you have connected to a router which has WIFI, which you are trying to connect to?

First thing I would do then, is to find out if low / bad WIFI signal is the issue, or if its the service from the ISP is having issues.

Do you lose WIFI-signal on those devices that you are having issues with, or do you lose ethernet all together? (Wired devices; Do they still have a connection?).

If you are unsure, the easiest thing is probably to run a ethernet cable from the modem directly to a PC for a while, and see if its more stable that way. 

Things on my end are actually pretty stable, but for my brother, he is the furthest from the router and he constantly drops out, I can try to run Ethernet throughout the house.

Just now, FadedCrown said:

Things on my end are actually pretty stable, but for my brother, he is the furthest from the router and he constantly drops out, I can try to run Ethernet throughout the house.

Do you happen to know how new your house is? There's a good chance that phone jack actually has Cat5 or Cat5e cabling in behind it. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

Do you happen to know how new your house is? There's a good chance that phone jack actually has Cat5 or Cat5e cabling in behind it. 

House was built about 20 years ago.

3 minutes ago, FadedCrown said:

Do you have any indication on signal strength on your brothers device? If the WIFI signal is bad / poor, you should probably have a decent indication of that. Most devices are fitted with a bar / signal strength meter (Software-wise). If its low signal strength, then you most likely need to look at options to improve WIFI signal strength. 

On the other hand, if his device(s) has good signal strength, and it suddenly drops out, I would think that perhaps the router is worn out, or maybe you have an external factor within your house which suddenly makes the signal worse. 

Just now, Inzelux said:

Do you have any indication on signal strength on your brothers device? If the WIFI signal is bad / poor, you should probably have a decent indication of that. Most devices are fitted with a bar / signal strength meter. If its low signal strength, then you most likely need to look at options to improve WIFI signal strength. 

On the other hand, if his device(s) has good signal strength, and it suddenly drops out, I would think that perhaps the router is worn out, or maybe you have an external factor within your house which suddenly makes the signal worse. 

It is pretty bad. 5 GHz is unusable and 2.4 GHz is usable but not good.

House was built about 20 years ago.

Take off one of the faceplates for a phone jack and look at the cabling connected to the phone jack. 

If it's cat5 (Category 5) or higher, then you could just replace the jack with an RJ45 jack. If not, then you can try a DIY cable using two pair ethernet cables and a phone cable or something like powerline. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

8 minutes ago, FadedCrown said:

It is pretty bad. 5 GHz is unusable and 2.4 GHz is usable but not good.

Then I would look at options to replace your WIFI-router, if its very cumbersome to run a ethernet cable throughout the house, or perhaps some techy option like @Brink2Three has suggested.

I don't have any knowledge about your current wifi-router, but buying a reputable WIFI-router with good specs can solve a lot of issues (or a Wifi-mesh system of sorts..). Other things you could try is to move the WIFI-router around (as much as possible, obviously..). Try to move it around, even upwards towards the ceiling, and make sure no reflective surfaces are near the router. Also, make sure you're not trying to pass the signal through signal-insulating walls like metal or concrete.  Moving it from one area of your bedroom to another could improve the signal. Same goes for the devices which are to recieve the WIFI signal, stashing a PS4 into a hole in a concrete-wall will not get you good signal, if that makes sense. 

Obviously, the ideal situation for the both of you would be to move the router so that it is located somewhere "in the middle" of you and your brother location. 

My parents have a pretty decent internet connection (15mbps down and 2mbps up) and they have it coming in through a phone jack. It’s DSL which is by no means the best but it’s the best you can likely do with a phone jack.

you also have to have an ISP willing to get you connected like that.

Where do you live and what kind of internet service do you currently have?

based on what I’m reading in this thread you may want to look at getting wireless access points and maybe changing the channels on the router. You could be having congestion issues and interference from other people’s networks.

I set up 2 ASUS AC RT66R routers at my parents house with one set as primary and one set as access point. Works well.

Keep in mind 2.4ghz will have better range but slower theoretical speed while 5ghz has less range but higher theoretical speed.

You could also give powerline networking a try , at least for your brother.  Plug one adapter near the router and connect it in the router's ethernet port and have the other adapter near your brother's computer. The data will go through your houses electrical wiring to the other adapter. If the sockets are on the same circuit and you don't have some crappy thinks (microwaves, lousy tvs etc) shoving dirty noise into the mains wiring, he should get reasonable speeds and low pings.

Depending on distance and if there's different circuits or not, he may get a stable 10-20 mbps, maybe even more... pings higher than direct ethernet cable from modem/router to him, but should be fewer (if any) drops.

You don't say the country so I'll go with plain amazon ... see amazon.co.uk / .de in Europe, or local stores ...

Here's some examples... don't know if they're the BEST for the price, but the prices are small 

TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Plug&Play, Power Saving, Nano Powerline Adapter(TL-PA4010 KIT) : https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-Adapter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG/

Tenda AV1000 1-Port Gigabit Powerline Adapter, Up to 1000Mbps (PH3) : https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-AV1000-Gigabit-Powerline-1000Mbps/dp/B01N1JN6CV/

D-Link Powerline 1000 Mbps, 1 Gigabit Port (DHP-601AV) : https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-PowerLine-1000-Gigabit-DHP-601AV/dp/B00F0RC97A/

4 hours ago, FadedCrown said:

It is most likely the connection to the router, I do believe our modem is DOCSIS 3.0 16x4, so that may not be the issue.

Do you have coax in any other rooms? Moca adapters can coexist on the same coax being used by your cable and internet provider. That might be a good way to get a more stable connection, without running new wiring. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.