I bought a lenovo ideapad 330S about a year ago

Specs:

i5 8250U

HD graphics

4GB RAM

1TB 5400RPM

Optane 

Default OS: Windows 10 64-bit

Since january the computer got stuck in a black screen from every once in a while after shutting it down. Basicaly I turned off the computer and once I turned it back on first there was a black screen showing

"the operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache matadata. Please do not interrupt this process"

then the lenovo logo showed up and finally i got a black screen and after that the computer wouldn't post.

Sometimes a simple restart ended up solving the problem but sometimes after several restarts it just took me to "automatic repair" and showed "Windows couldn't repair your PC"

Log file: ?\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

So what I used to do was to choose "reset this PC and keep my files" in the troubleshoot option which, at the beginning worked out but after a couple weeks the black screen problem mentioned earlier would come back.

One week ago I was working on anaconda navigator for a school project and when I launched the app it didn't initialize correctly so I said "I can finish it later on" so I turned off the pc but then I got that black screen again the next day so I tried to reset the PC keeping my files once again.

And it was all OK I did finish my homework and I saved all of that to desktop. The next I got another black screen but this time resetting the PC made no changes but I really wanted my files and my project back so I created a bootable USB with ubuntu on it and I was able to access all the files but the stuff located on the desktop screen by using the file manager found on ubuntu.

Fortunatelly though, I managed to recover all my desktop files using linux shell so I proceeded to go to "automatic repair" once more but this time I did a full restart without saving any files or settings, etc. It took me 12 hours to do that but still, the problem persisted.

So I forgot about windows and decided to move on to linux because I REALLY NEED THE COMPUTER but whenever I tried the ubuntu installer but it always skipped the "installation type" window that you can see down below and took me right to the "SOMETHING ELSE" window.

604275681_peru22.png.d70edb7011977352551fef06fd037646.png

But it turns out,

MY HARD DRIVE DOESN'T APEAR IN THAT SECTION, ONLY MY USB, IN OTHER WORDS IT DOESN'T LET ME INSTALL UBUNTU ANYWHERE BUT IN THE USB DRIVE

btw I used crystaldiskmark to see if my hard drive was damaged but it wasn't.

Go in to BIOS, Lenovo laptops play all kinds of funny buggers with non-windows installers. Disable any and all BIOS level security features.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

12 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Go in to BIOS, Lenovo laptops play all kinds of funny buggers with non-windows installers. Disable any and all BIOS level security features.

I just did that and everything remains the same

27 minutes ago, BrendaGGG said:

I just did that and everything remains the same

Then they may have locked out non-windows installers from having access to the drive.

That would mean you would need another PC/Laptop, install your OS of choice on that device with the hard drive you want in the laptop, then move the hard drive back over when you're done.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Sounds like harddrive issue to me but I'm not sure

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Does it Show up in Bios : Yes, continue / No Bios Issue

Does it Show up in Boot Order : Yes Continue / No Bios issue

Is it IDE or SATA , Is the type Enabled in Bios? : Yes Continue / No Bios Issue

Old Distros may not support SATA, Distro New? : Yes Continue / No Version of Linux Issue

Is the hard drive formatted as Fat32? : Yes continue / NO its windows NT Format - Reformat NT not Compatible format - Format Fat32 so Linux can detect it.

Was the Previous Operating System Windows 10? : Yes - 10 despite what people say - If I put a USB drive in windows 10 and move it to 7 - it is always corrupted but you can move 7 to 10. 10 Some how changes any files. I would Format a couple times and try to remove all traces of 10. I use windows 8.1 as 7 will no longer be supported and 10 seems to give me LOTS of issues when plugging in my storage devices / for pics / videos - It changes them to work only on 10. 

Also the type of Boot could be Issue : Legacy v/s Uefi - Bios usually has some sort of options to control and select proper one. Older PC is Legacy, Newer is UEFI.   Some older ones can update the Bios to do UEFI. Like my HP G7.

• Legacy BIOS is run by option Read Only Memory (ROM’s). The option ROMs that legacy systems run will only work if they are compatible with the hardware that is running with it. If you upgrade your hardware, you have to update the option ROMs to make sure every aspect of the booting process is compatible.
  • UEFI solved this problem by
    • incorporating drivers into their system in place of option ROM.
    • The drivers have virtually no space limitations and are compatible with upgraded forms of hardware.
    • Drivers are written separately and can be uploaded using a flash drive.
    • The information uploaded onto the system is then processed by UEFI’s programming interface, which configures the data to ensure compatibility.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!