Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonedyou

Did i damage my cpu

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I tried overclocking and stress testing my 9600k, i got it to 5ghz at 1.425v then ran prime95, temps shot to 90-95c i instantly stopped the test and reverted to stock. You think my cpu has suffered damage from this mistake? 

 

i'm a noob at oc'ing obv lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

no, it takes a much longer time than that to damage a CPU


The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros

CPU: i7-2600K 4745MHz 1.408V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.2MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2200MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites

No the cpu is just fine!!

1.425v is quite high.

Try not to go above 1.3 ich


CPU:i7 9700k 4.9Ghz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 2500Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, SSD mushkin chronos 120GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU:Corsair CS 650 M Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK600-W, IPS, HDR10, 4K 2nd: Samsung P2470HD Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Mouse 2014 Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, send to me for proper disposal.


My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz delidded @1.355v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 UV/OC 1677core/1050hbm // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/120GB PNY CS900/480GB PNY CS1311/1TB Hitachi Deskstar // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248QG // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 

 

Wife's System: Ryzen 5 1600 3.8ghz // Wraith Spire // Gigabyte AX-370-Gaming // 16GB T-Force DDR4 2667 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB // Corsair Obsidian 750D // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital Blue // Displays: Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602

 

Son's System: i3-8350k 4.8ghz @ 1.35v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

 

Daughter's System: i5-4570 // ASUS H81I-Plus // 8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333 // Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Mini // Cooler Master Elite 130 // Corsair CX600M // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Western Digital Blue // Display: AOC 20" // HP Business Keyboard // HP Business Mouse

Link to post
Share on other sites

If be wary of 1.425 v... Ive been playing around with this too and got voltages that high with much lower set voltages as temporary spikes. So generally, Id say CPUs can handle it... BUT if your setting your voltage that high you COULD get unlucky and get a spike yourself. 

 

While with temporary overclocking you're unlikely to damage your CPU a ton (Im assuming you didnt plan to run it at 1.425v daily as that WILL quickly degrade it), IF you get unlucky and the volts spike to 1.53 v in some fluke, that could instantly fry your CPU. Just a risk I wouldn't take. 

 

If you have AMAZING current control (18 phase VRM. Titanium oversupply, outstanding UPS with sine wave delivery, and an electric grid that never fluctuates), maybe you can never see serious fluctuations... but i myself have pretty amazing current control on my rig and will still OCCASSIONALLY  get a spike of 0.075 above my theoretical limit, so I don't think that's a safe operating assumption. 

 

Also Id only be playing with high voltages at all with incredible cooling, so that would be a secondary concern here...


CPU | 8700k @ 5.1 Ghz, AVX 0, Normal CPU Core V, -0.110 Offset, Avg Core 1.265 v Stable, Motherboard | Z390 Gigabyte AORUS Master V1.0, BIOS F8, RAM | G.Skill Ripjaw V 16x2 @ 3300 Mhz 16-17-18-38, GPU | EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper @ 2130 Mhz Clock & 8100 Mhz Mem, Case | Phantek - Enthoo Primo, Storage | Intel 905p 1 TB PCIe NVME SSD, PSU | EVGA SuperNova Titanium 1600 w, Display(s) | LG 4k 55" OLED & CUK 1440p 27" @ 144hz, Cooling | Custom WL, 2 x 480x60mm & 2 x 240x40mm rads, 2 x 120x30mm rads, 14 x Noctua A25x12 Fans, Keyboard | Logitech G613 Pro, Mouse | Logitech G Pro Wireless Gaming, Sound | Sonos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 2 x Play:3, Operating System | Windows 10 Professional.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Daharen said:

If be wary of 1.425 v... Ive been playing around with this too and got voltages that high with much lower set voltages as temporary spikes. So generally, Id say CPUs can handle it... BUT if your setting your voltage that high you COULD get unlucky and get a spike yourself. 

 

While with temporary overclocking you're unlikely to damage your CPU a ton (Im assuming you didnt plan to run it at 1.425v daily as that WILL quickly degrade it), IF you get unlucky and the volts spike to 1.53 v in some fluke, that could instantly fry your CPU. Just a risk I wouldn't take. 

 

If you have AMAZING current control (18 phase VRM. Titanium oversupply, outstanding UPS with sine wave delivery, and an electric grid that never fluctuates), maybe you can never see serious fluctuations... but i myself have pretty amazing current control on my rig and will still OCCASSIONALLY  get a spike of 0.075 above my theoretical limit, so I don't think that's a safe operating assumption. 

 

Also Id only be playing with high voltages at all with incredible cooling, so that would be a secondary concern here...

I get occasional spikes of up to 61mv (set 1.355 set, occasional brief spikes up to 1.416).

 

My vrm is decent, but yeah they seem to happen sometimes


My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz delidded @1.355v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 UV/OC 1677core/1050hbm // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/120GB PNY CS900/480GB PNY CS1311/1TB Hitachi Deskstar // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248QG // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 

 

Wife's System: Ryzen 5 1600 3.8ghz // Wraith Spire // Gigabyte AX-370-Gaming // 16GB T-Force DDR4 2667 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB // Corsair Obsidian 750D // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital Blue // Displays: Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602

 

Son's System: i3-8350k 4.8ghz @ 1.35v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

 

Daughter's System: i5-4570 // ASUS H81I-Plus // 8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333 // Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Mini // Cooler Master Elite 130 // Corsair CX600M // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Western Digital Blue // Display: AOC 20" // HP Business Keyboard // HP Business Mouse

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
12 hours ago, moonedyou said:
 

i'm a noob at oc'ing obv lol

This is why most experts recommend that you do extensive research in the limits and capabilities of your CPU, learning what clock speeds the processor can handle without drawing too much power or over overheating.

 

You should be wary of such high temperatures. Heat kills your system, and I do not recommend playing around with your processor like that without doing more research. Also, it appears that you are using a stock cooler (I'm guessing as your processor is capable of 5GHz and is simultaneously running at 95 Celcius), and I recommend you change it up for something better as soon as you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

This is why most experts recommend that you do extensive research in the limits and capabilities of your CPU, learning what clock speeds the processor can handle without drawing too much power or over overheating.

 

You should be wary of such high temperatures. Heat kills your system, and I do not recommend playing around with your processor like that without doing more research. Also, it appears that you are using a stock cooler (I'm guessing as your processor is capable of 5GHz and is simultaneously running at 95 Celcius), and I recommend you change it up for something better as soon as you can.

I'm using a 212 evo and i just wanted to see if i could get 5ghz but the temps were to high obviously, so i reverted to stock clocks. i have no intention of doing it again, i just wanted to know if that brief voltage increase to 1.425v and 95c could've damaged the cpu in any way thats all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

no, it takes a much longer time than that to damage a CPU

I was kinda thinking it'd take much more time at that voltage/heat to start causing problems, but i wasn't to sure thats why i'm here lol and i'm just paranoid about it since the cpu is kind of expensive for me and i wouldn't be able to get another right away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, moonedyou said:

I was kinda thinking it'd take much more time at that voltage/heat to start causing problems, but i wasn't to sure thats why i'm here lol and i'm just paranoid about it since the cpu is kind of expensive for me and i wouldn't be able to get another right away.

I have no idea why you'd use such a weak cooler when you're aware of the expensive and hot CPU though


The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros

CPU: i7-2600K 4745MHz 1.408V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.2MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2200MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

I have no idea why you'd use such a weak cooler when you're aware of the expensive and hot CPU though

thought i could get away with it, but obviously not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×