Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vulkanized

Possible GPU problems?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

So I've recently got to borrow my friend his previous laptop and use it until I can afford a gaming PC of my own.

But after using it for a while and adding the 860 EVO I got during Black Friday the laptop started to act very weird when gaming, and as I have no clue what to do and can barely find anything online I thought to myself I should turn to the LinusTechTips Community.

So the problem I'm having is that the laptop starts to make the USB connect/ disconnect sounds, keeps giving a black screen which disappears immediately after (seems like the PC is alt-tabbing) and it keeps centring the cursor. The problem doesn't instantly appear when I start gaming but starts to come forward after a little while of gaming, and then it stops a few minutes after I quit gaming. This is what lead me to believe it had something to do with the GPU as it doesn't happen during a graphically light loads. There seems to be no specific performance range it can't reach as these problems even occur when playing games as Slay the Spire.

- NVIDIA GTX 760M

- Intel i7 4702MQ  @2.20 GHz

- 12 GB ram, different sticks but don't know which

- Windows 10

- No longer has a battery as it broke and had a battery-life of 30 mins max. (I'm pretty much using it as a more portable desktop, with separate mouse and keyboard)

If I've forgotten to specify anything or I should give more info, please leave a comment as I have no clue what to do and this problem makes my whole game library useless 😭😭

Thx for the help in advance

6 minutes ago, Vulkanized said:

Hey guys,

So I've recently got to borrow my friend his previous laptop and use it until I can afford a gaming PC of my own.

But after using it for a while and adding the 860 EVO I got during Black Friday the laptop started to act very weird when gaming, and as I have no clue what to do and can barely find anything online I thought to myself I should turn to the LinusTechTips Community.

So the problem I'm having is that the laptop starts to make the USB connect/ disconnect sounds, keeps giving a black screen which disappears immediately after (seems like the PC is alt-tabbing) and it keeps centring the cursor. The problem doesn't instantly appear when I start gaming but starts to come forward after a little while of gaming, and then it stops a few minutes after I quit gaming. This is what lead me to believe it had something to do with the GPU as it doesn't happen during a graphically light loads. There seems to be no specific performance range it can't reach as these problems even occur when playing games as Slay the Spire.

- NVIDIA GTX 760M

- Intel i7 4702MQ  @2.20 GHz

- 12 GB ram, different sticks but don't know which

- Windows 10

- No longer has a battery as it broke and had a battery-life of 30 mins max. (I'm pretty much using it as a more portable desktop, with separate mouse and keyboard)

If I've forgotten to specify anything or I should give more info, please leave a comment as I have no clue what to do and this problem makes my whole game library useless 😭😭

Thx for the help in advance

Only thing I could imagine that is causing it would be that the GPU is starting to fail or bad drivers due to the "hybrid" graphics most laptops with a dedicated GPU use with switching to dedicated while under heavy loads and running integrated when under light 2d loads.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Ryzen Hero: Ryzen 2700x 4.25GHz | X470 Crosshair Hero WiFi| 32GB Ripjaws 3000MHz | Vega 64| LainLi PC08| 2x Samsung 1TB 850 Pro, 1x 1TB 860 Pro| Supernova P2 850w | Corsair H115i Pro

Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, KingCry said:

Only thing I could imagine that is causing it would be that the GPU is starting to fail or bad drivers due to the "hybrid" graphics most laptops with a dedicated GPU use with switching to dedicated while under heavy loads and running integrated when under light 2d loads.

I have NVIDIA Geforce Experience downloaded and keep the latest drivers, would there be anything else I could do like opening it up and cleaning it and maybe see if the GPU seems fine? Or should I just accept It's dying and pretty much useless for gaming?