Possible GPU problems?

Vulkanized

Hey guys,

So I've recently got to borrow my friend his previous laptop and use it until I can afford a gaming PC of my own.

But after using it for a while and adding the 860 EVO I got during Black Friday the laptop started to act very weird when gaming, and as I have no clue what to do and can barely find anything online I thought to myself I should turn to the LinusTechTips Community.

So the problem I'm having is that the laptop starts to make the USB connect/ disconnect sounds, keeps giving a black screen which disappears immediately after (seems like the PC is alt-tabbing) and it keeps centring the cursor. The problem doesn't instantly appear when I start gaming but starts to come forward after a little while of gaming, and then it stops a few minutes after I quit gaming. This is what lead me to believe it had something to do with the GPU as it doesn't happen during a graphically light loads. There seems to be no specific performance range it can't reach as these problems even occur when playing games as Slay the Spire.

- NVIDIA GTX 760M

- Intel i7 4702MQ  @2.20 GHz

- 12 GB ram, different sticks but don't know which

- Windows 10

- No longer has a battery as it broke and had a battery-life of 30 mins max. (I'm pretty much using it as a more portable desktop, with separate mouse and keyboard)

If I've forgotten to specify anything or I should give more info, please leave a comment as I have no clue what to do and this problem makes my whole game library useless ??

Thx for the help in advance

6 minutes ago, Vulkanized said:

Hey guys,

So I've recently got to borrow my friend his previous laptop and use it until I can afford a gaming PC of my own.

But after using it for a while and adding the 860 EVO I got during Black Friday the laptop started to act very weird when gaming, and as I have no clue what to do and can barely find anything online I thought to myself I should turn to the LinusTechTips Community.

So the problem I'm having is that the laptop starts to make the USB connect/ disconnect sounds, keeps giving a black screen which disappears immediately after (seems like the PC is alt-tabbing) and it keeps centring the cursor. The problem doesn't instantly appear when I start gaming but starts to come forward after a little while of gaming, and then it stops a few minutes after I quit gaming. This is what lead me to believe it had something to do with the GPU as it doesn't happen during a graphically light loads. There seems to be no specific performance range it can't reach as these problems even occur when playing games as Slay the Spire.

- NVIDIA GTX 760M

- Intel i7 4702MQ  @2.20 GHz

- 12 GB ram, different sticks but don't know which

- Windows 10

- No longer has a battery as it broke and had a battery-life of 30 mins max. (I'm pretty much using it as a more portable desktop, with separate mouse and keyboard)

If I've forgotten to specify anything or I should give more info, please leave a comment as I have no clue what to do and this problem makes my whole game library useless ??

Thx for the help in advance

Only thing I could imagine that is causing it would be that the GPU is starting to fail or bad drivers due to the "hybrid" graphics most laptops with a dedicated GPU use with switching to dedicated while under heavy loads and running integrated when under light 2d loads.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

10 hours ago, KingCry said:

Only thing I could imagine that is causing it would be that the GPU is starting to fail or bad drivers due to the "hybrid" graphics most laptops with a dedicated GPU use with switching to dedicated while under heavy loads and running integrated when under light 2d loads.

I have NVIDIA Geforce Experience downloaded and keep the latest drivers, would there be anything else I could do like opening it up and cleaning it and maybe see if the GPU seems fine? Or should I just accept It's dying and pretty much useless for gaming?