Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glyn8

Managed to connect to freenas server

Posted · Original PosterOP

A few years ago I made a post on this forum concerning the inability of my computer to connect to a Freenas server that I had recently constructed. I got a reply to it the same day but alas we were not able to find a solution to this problem. I ended up re-installing Windows and that somehow fixed it, later on that year i finally found the solution to the problem. (TLDR) You have to go into Turn Windows features on or off and scroll down until you find SMB and turn it on. (DO NOT DO THIS, as Jarsky (someone with a lot more experience in this field than me) pointed out that it can lead to malware infection)

What version FreeNAS are you talking about?

You should not be doing this in Windows, as that feature is SMBv1 which is vunerable to WannaCry, which is why its now disabled by default. 

Spoiler

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6ghz | EVGA Z77 FTW | 2 x EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3, Corsair SP120's | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | OCZ ZX 1250w | Samsung 28" 4K Display | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Corsair 400R, IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF, Seasonic X-Series 650w PSU, 2 x Xeon E5540's, 24GB DDR3-ECC, Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i, RES2SV240 SAS Expander, Samsung 840Evo 120GB, 2 x 8TB Seagate Archives, 12 x 3TB WD Red

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for the spot, I would hate for something I posted to lead to malware. the solution I posted also no longer works and you have to create a network location in the 'This PC' section of file explorer.