GTX 780 ti or wait for GTX 880

Flipside

I was wondering if the GTX 880 would be coming out in Q1 of this year. I did some googling and some people are saying Q1 for 8xx but no definitively the GTX 880. Should I get the 780 ti now or wait?

What's your current setup? (Just gpu and cpu)

I would wait if you don't need a new GPU right now. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

What's your current setup? (Just gpu and cpu)

4770k 8gb corsair vengeance and MSI Power Edition 660 ti with a HX 850 by Corsair

well if you get the 780ti now , it would be the equivilant to the 870 *this is my estimation*. so you wont be missing out on alot of performance

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

The 790 will come out in march. The Titan black in February. Wait for one of those.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

4770k 8gb corsair vengeance and MSI Power Edition 660 ti with a HX 850 by Corsair

Definitely wait. There could be new features and the 780ti price may go down. 

† TTCF Member †

well if you get the 780ti now , it would be the equivilant to the 870 *this is my estimation*. so you wont be missing out on alot of performance

Do you think the GTX 880 will come out in Q1 because if not I will probably buy now and re-sell it when it does come out.

I was wondering if the GTX 880 would be coming out in Q1 of this year. I did some googling and some people are saying Q1 for 8xx but no definitively the GTX 880. Should I get the 780 ti now or wait?

The 780 ti would be fast enough for almost everything for at least the next 2 too 3 years, you aren't specifying enough.

Do you need the 780 ti for rendering, gaming, video editing,...

It will be plenty for those things.

If you want too upgrade but don't want too add another 660 ti too your system the 780 ti is a monster card. But if you have the patience of waiting another maybe 2 years, then go ahead and wait for the 880. ;)

The 780 ti would be fast enough for almost everything for at least the next 2 too 3 years, you aren't specifying enough.

If you want too upgrade but don't want too add another 660 ti too your system the 780 ti is a monster card. But if you have the patience of waiting another maybe 2 years, then go ahead and wait for the 880. ;)

All I do is game and mine dogecoin.

What would he wait 2 years for? 

† TTCF Member †

Woahhhh, please tell me the GTX 880 isn't 2 years away.

If you're satisfied with what you have now i would wait, there are people who swear it will be Q1 and people who swear it will be Q3/4. Honestly, nobody knows for sure. It might be best to get a 780ti and then wait for 2/3 years and do a full upgrade when Maxwell is fully unlocked and optimised.

love dogecoins :lol: , the 780ti would be plenty for what you are going too do with your system. Btw on what resolution are you playing?

if you mine then you should go for an AMD card they have much higher success but I am more than satisfied with my 780 ti right now if you do not want AMD I would go for it tbh 

I have been thinking about getting the 780 ti, and build a small system with the 660 ti

Pick up another 660ti and upgrade later

Is getting another 660 TI worth it ? cannot see it giving much of a performance boost, compared to what the 780 ti has to offer.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

if you mine then you should go for an AMD card 

For now I have a HD 5830 in my mining rig which gets 280 kh/s, and a 780ti would give me about 400 kh/s which is more than the total of 520 kh/s that I get now. 

Chances are the 880 will be closer spec-wise to the 780Ti than people are hoping for. The 880Ti (or TITIAN 2) will probably be the new king.

Maxwell (naturally starting with the flagship 880) will probably be around March-June.

I'd say go for the 780 Ti now. It won't be too far off from the 880, but that's just based on past increments.

the 880 doesn't have a fixed release date, it could take a year before it releases or it could take 1.5 years or... ( hopefully only a year or so)

love dogecoins :lol: , the 780ti would be plenty for what you are going too do with your system. Btw on what resolution are you playing?

For now only 1080 but I would end up buying a 1440p or 1600p monitor after buying the card.

For now only 1080 but I would end up buying a 1440p or 1600p monitor after buying the card.

even at those resolutions it performs like a beast :)

I think I might just end up getting a 780 ti now and reselling when the gtx 880 ti comes out.

I think I might just end up getting a 780 ti now and reselling when the gtx 880 ti comes out. What is the best version of the cooler, and will the cooler make a huge difference in overclocking cooling because the stock one looks amazing.

with a 780 ti right now and probably a few years to come you will be more than happy no need to upgrade to 880 maybe 980 or whatever they call the one after that would be the time to upgrade 

What is the best version of the cooler, and will the cooler make a huge difference in overclocking cooling because the stock one looks amazing?