PC crashing due to overheating cpu?

RLevasse

Hello,

I've had a bunch of problems lately, from two of my CPU's fans failing (original hyper x 212 evo fan and an arctic pwm one I bought as a replacement) to issues with my ram (not registering if not plugged in a specific order, even though its two sets of vengeance pro blue 1600 mhc (ver 1.51 and 1.8X I believe)

The latest issue seems to be my cpu overheating even with the cooler master fan I just replaced on the 212's tower in a pull config (Ram is too big to allow push :(). It's even a Cooler Master DC fan that's running at high RPM all the time so it should be sufficient. Should I try to redo the thermal paste?

I'm running at 4790k with a 970 Strix on an ASUS Z97 A, and I'm thinking the cpu temp might be the reason it's crashing lately while multitasking to playing games. (occasional BSOD, mostly a stutter and crash) It's reaching 66 degrees while only running a game and some tabs in a browser, hard to tell while gaming.

A. Are there any utilities that track not only current temp but record max temp so that I can look at a report and see if this is the cause? I've used hardware monitor but it doesn't seem to log temps.

B. I've been thinking about trying to overclock, but with this issue I'm not sure if my cooling is sufficient. Any recommendations on a better cooling setup if required? Apparently hyperx 212 evo should be more than sufficient to run a small OC on a 4790k.

I've been debating upgrading my MOBO for ddr4 ram and a better cpu, but It doesn't seem like there's any huge jump if all I'm trying to do is play games.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. Obviously the fan was bought as it was cheap to test, not to RGB match with the RAM.

Edit 1. Build was in 2016, I believe CPU heat sink was taken apart once my a tech to clean it after a spill, nothing other than that.

20190401_170247.jpg

Hmmm. Seems like a motherboard issue to be honest. Try a BIOs upgrade or if it that doesn't work then I'd think you might want to replace the motherboard. Sometimes time and wear can cause this. I hope this helps!

11 minutes ago, RLevasse said:

I've been debating upgrading my MOBO for ddr4 ram and a better cpu, but It doesn't seem like there's any huge jump if all I'm trying to do is play games.

It's a pretty significant jump. I didn't want to upgrade either but it's certainly worth it to go DDR4. Also you're going to need to upgrade EVENTUALLY. Just watch for deals on RAM because the prices have been pretty expensive. I mean you don't need to go totally crazy and get a i9-9900k, but you'd absolutely notice like an 8600k, and that would last you quite a while.

Specs
i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz w/ H100i AIO
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

Acer XB241H bmipr 24" 1920x1080p 180hz monitor
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8qQJWD

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Was running metro and almost caught a screen cap of it stuttering and the temp screen, two cores were at 92 deg. 

Edit : after recovery started hardware monitor right away and one core was at 96. Before it crashed again. 

Going to let it cool, but I'd say I've found the culprit. Now the question is would ordering some new thermal compound work, do I order a aio or other cooler, or do I pay a lot to upgrade the mobo, ram, CPU and eventually GPU? 

Kind of wanted to wait one more generation

20190401_171801.jpg

On 4/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, lightning_po said:

It's a pretty significant jump. I didn't want to upgrade either but it's certainly worth it to go DDR4. Also you're going to need to upgrade EVENTUALLY. Just watch for deals on RAM because the prices have been pretty expensive. I mean you don't need to go totally crazy and get a i9-9900k, but you'd absolutely notice like an 8600k, and that would last you quite a while.

so youre saying buy a new mobo, upgrade cpu and ram, what about the cooling? would this same problem persist with my 212 evo? could it just be my 212 is showing its age and a new one would work or do I need to go AIO even with the new mobo/gear?

15 minutes ago, RLevasse said:

could it just be my 212 is showing its age and a new one would work or do I need to go AIO even with the new mobo/gear?

212 is a solid cooler, extremely hard to damage / wore out. (its just a metal).

try fixing the current issue first.

when overheated, is the cooler fins hot? feeling enough airflow?

> reseat cooler with new paste 

> add a small push fan for testing, fan can be position higher to avoid the tall rams.

if nothing helps, go delid the cpu & replace paste 

Time to delid! the paste intel used was shit to begin with, that CPU is really old now too. I'm going to guess your case is missing fans or your motherboard isn't able to control them due to a fault if they keep randomly dieing.