Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Master Disaster

The EU have just passed the copyright bill (preliminary vote)

Posted · Original PosterOP

So yeah, it's just been on the BBC News.

The European Parliament voted to adopt a controversial reform of copyright rules for the internet age, after years of intense lobbying by European publishers, cultural industries, major tech companies and digital rights activists.

The Parliament adopted the proposal with 348 votes in favor, 274 against. Proposals to delete the so-called Article 13 were not put to a vote.

These reforms mean companies will be responsible for negotiating copyright licenses will license holders.

Under the final deal, U.S. tech giants such as Google will have to negotiate licensing agreements with rights holders — such as record companies, collecting societies and media companies — to publish their content on YouTube and Google News, and scan its video-sharing platform to remove copyright-protected content that falls under these deals.

They've just had the first vote on the copyright reforms and it passed. For it to become law it has to be approved by European Ministers.

The text now needs a formal approval by European ministers but is one major step closer to officially becoming law. It will then have to be transposed into national legislation by EU countries.

https://www.politico.eu/article/european-parliament-approves-copyright-reform-in-final-vote

Damn son, I believe there's another round of votes yet but I think we should know for sure by Friday if this will become law or not.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz | Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark T-Force 3200Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Asus Rog Strix Vega 64 8GB OC Edition | Coolermaster Master Air 620P | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Coolermaster Master Box MB520P | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

So... VPN time?

Aesthetics aficionado, light theme enthusiast, & your friend in life

Custom Build Log

Main PC:

CPU: i5-8600K 4.9GHz Cooler: Arctic 33 eSports One Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 GPU: Asus GTX 1060 3GB Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 + 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD PSU: Corsair CX450M Case: NZXT S340

Keyboard: EagleTec KG011 Mouse: Logitech G502 Monitor: LG 29WK600 Sound: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

Brother:

CPU: Ryzen 2200G 3.5GHz Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 RAM: 16GB Patriot Viper 4 DDR4-2933 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Storage: Integral V2 250GB SSD PSU: BQ PP 10 400W Case: DeepCool Frame

Keyboard: Redragon K552 Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB Monitor: AOC E2270SWHN + Acer KG221Q Sound: Earbuds

Asus ZenBook UX410-UA:

CPU: i3-8130U 2.2GHz RAM: 12GB DDR4-2400 Storage: 256GB SK Hynix M.2 SATA SSD

iPhone 8 Plus

CPU: Apple A11 Bionic RAM: 3GB Storage: 64GB

PIA here I come

While this topic meets the TN posting guidelines, and was posted first, I'm afraid there's already another topic in TN which has already received a lot of discussion, so it's best if it continues there instead.

I don't work for Floatplane Media, so any Floatplane comments that I make are my own and may be incorrect or in conflict with the official view.

For Floatplane support, please use the wizard linked in this topic