The EU have just passed the copyright bill (preliminary vote)

Master Disaster

So yeah, it's just been on the BBC News.

The European Parliament voted to adopt a controversial reform of copyright rules for the internet age, after years of intense lobbying by European publishers, cultural industries, major tech companies and digital rights activists.

The Parliament adopted the proposal with 348 votes in favor, 274 against. Proposals to delete the so-called Article 13 were not put to a vote.

These reforms mean companies will be responsible for negotiating copyright licenses will license holders.

Under the final deal, U.S. tech giants such as Google will have to negotiate licensing agreements with rights holders — such as record companies, collecting societies and media companies — to publish their content on YouTube and Google News, and scan its video-sharing platform to remove copyright-protected content that falls under these deals.

They've just had the first vote on the copyright reforms and it passed. For it to become law it has to be approved by European Ministers.

The text now needs a formal approval by European ministers but is one major step closer to officially becoming law. It will then have to be transposed into national legislation by EU countries.

https://www.politico.eu/article/european-parliament-approves-copyright-reform-in-final-vote

Damn son, I believe there's another round of votes yet but I think we should know for sure by Friday if this will become law or not.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Can Linus make some more VPN videos? Everyone needs to know about it now.

While this topic meets the TN posting guidelines, and was posted first, I'm afraid there's already another topic in TN which has already received a lot of discussion, so it's best if it continues there instead.

HTTP/2 203