4k gaming and virtualisation rig

hi guys,

i have a budget of about 3k euro and want build a new high end gaming pc for run games on 4k resolution but also able run 3-4 virtual machines same times or do some video editing.

this is what i came up so far with :

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/BrkhzY

i would like your opinions and advice on what could be optimised or replace please.

thank you much

Selection         Price Where      
CPU           €332.90      

CPU Cooler           €61.54      

Motherboard           €271.99      

Memory

€456.90      

Storage           €126.88      

€70.16      

Video Card           €1406.90      

Case           €152.85      

Power Supply           €162.80      

for VM's i highly suggest intel.

as VMs are highly cpu dependent, you need a fast multi core. ryzen is good, but doesnt have high frequency like intel does. 

do you need 4k in the vm or is 1080p fine?

i had 2 variants of this, other being intel based with an i9 9900k, and ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING mobo.

thats 200 bucks more.

the vms doesnt have to be 4k, they will serve for a micro entreprise network simulation composed of a windows 2012 vm a linux redhat vm and 3 client cs.

what do ya think of the 4k gamin part and rendering with ryzen ? is it well optimised or things i could modify

An i9-9900K will offer significantly better performance.

If software does gpu rendering then add a second gpu if you wish to game at the same time. I don't think it reasonable to expect acceptable performance concurrently gaming and doing cpu based rendering.

There is no real need for 1000W psu, 850W is more than sufficient for an i9-9900K RTX 2080 Ti system.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€538.99 @ Amazon France) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€121.41 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€205.99 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€222.89 @ Amazon France) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€126.88 @ Amazon France) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€72.91 @ LDLC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card  (€1406.90 @ LDLC) 
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  (€152.85 @ Amazon France) 
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€123.20 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €2972.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-23 18:59 CET+0100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

hi brob,

ok for power supply, thank you, but question tho ;

whats the point of a 3200 memory if the processor only handle up to 2666 ? it wont be used to its full potential no ?

and regarding mobo, the strix supports sli which the gigabyte doesnt, so what motivate your pick ?

thank you

The memory is XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) compatible so a BIOS setting allows the cpu to the faster memory. See https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html.

SLI has declining popularity as gpu become significantly more powerful. It is not a feature I consider important for a system where a single gpu is nearly 50% of the total budget. I generally prefer Asus motherboards, but there are concerns with current Z390 models VRM.

ok now that xmp got my curiosity .

which factor will determine if xmp can be used, the proc spec ?

any place to consult for see max ram the cpu can use with xmp?

ty

16 minutes ago, maclovesvernadith said:

ok now that xmp got my curiosity .

which factor will determine if xmp can be used, the proc spec ?

any place to consult for see max ram the cpu can use with xmp?

ty

Motherboard manufacturer web pages typically list this data on the specifications tab. But don't assume that higher memory speeds necessarily mean higher performance. To begin with timings, particularly CL, can have a significant effect. A recent examination of memory speed scaling, https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K_Coffee_Lake_Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/, suggests that for most execution profiles anything better than DDR4-2666 CL14 offers little improvement. Sadly DDR4-2666 CL14  is often more expensive than roughly equivalent DDR4-3000 CL15 or DDR4-3200 CL16.

well the first mmeory i picked was 2999 freq, with a cl of 14.

one u sugest is 3200 cl 16.

meaning the 2999 could be oc to a higher frequency like your 3200 build, while keeping it low cl ?

on a concrete exemple for see if i got the idea right :

we have a mother board who can accepts memory up to 3600mhz

we have a cpu with memory acceptance up to 2999

and a ram with a frequency of 2999 and cl x

the xmp would allow the processor to be used with a higher frequency like a 3200 ram ? as long the motherboard suports it and below the 3600 limit of the mobo?

2 minutes ago, maclovesvernadith said:

well the first mmeory i picked was 2999 freq, with a cl of 14.

one u sugest is 3200 cl 16.

meaning the 2999 could be oc to a higher frequency like your 3200 build, while keeping it low cl ?

The memory in the OP does support XMP so it should work with a Z390 motherboard at DDR4-2933 CL14. However, the kit is intended for AMD cpu and G.Skill does not list any Z390 motherboard compatibility. (Not that it should matter given XMP support.) The main issue I have with the kit is that it is 4x8GB and would fully populate the motherboard memory slots. Any memory upgrade would require replacement. Going with a 2x16GB memory kit leaves two memory slots open for a no replacement upgrade.

18 minutes ago, maclovesvernadith said:

on a concrete exemple for see if i got the idea right :

we have a mother board who can accepts memory up to 3600mhz

we have a cpu with memory acceptance up to 2999

and a ram with a frequency of 2999 and cl x

the xmp would allow the processor to be used with a higher frequency like a 3200 ram ? as long the motherboard suports it and below the 3600 limit of the mobo?

Memory kits have XMP profiles embedded. These profiles are data that allow the cpu memory controller to operate the memory at a given speed and timings. Running the memory above the speed in a profile requires manual BIOS settings and may not be possible.

i9-9900K stock memory speed is DDR4-2666.

A memory kit with an advertised performance of DDR4-2933 CL14 can operate at that speed, anything faster is not guaranteed. 

If an XMP profile is selected in the BIOS, (e.g. DDR4-2933 CL14), the cpu uses that profile to access memory.

Memory can sometimes be overclocked above XMP settings. However the settings are entirely manual, i.e. user has to set and test a bunch of BIOS parameters.

If a motherboard does not support the XMP profile speed, the result will depend on the motherboard. Best case scenario is that it will run the memory at the highest supported speed. That is not a given and the motherboard may revert to running the memory at the SPD speed or the stock cpu speed.

ok  think its getting in slowly lol. sorry if im slow to catch up.

so,

what does the stock given 2666 valor on proc  really mean? is it like a limitation on max ram he will able use or like a recommendation but which can be bypassed as to make it work even with rams having more frequency?

1 hour ago, maclovesvernadith said:

ok  think its getting in slowly lol. sorry if im slow to catch up.

so,

what does the stock given 2666 valor on proc  really mean? is it like a limitation on max ram he will able use or like a recommendation but which can be bypassed as to make it work even with rams having more frequency?

The cpu stock memory speed is what the memory controller on the cpu has been designed for. Any speed over that is considered an overclock. 

i remeber old posts from 2014 2015 saying stuff will only run as fast as the cpu allows, so a bigger frequency ram will be downlocked to cpu frequency.

i guess then its no more actual.

ok so by selecting the xmp  instead default pofile, its the thing that will allow our 2600 cpu to oc and run at the 3200 speed like the ram we will put him?

now, i been lookin on both memory constructor and cpu and mobo constructor pages, and didnt find anywhere infos saying clearly if it support xmp or up to what extend. where to find this datas?

4 hours ago, maclovesvernadith said:

i remeber old posts from 2014 2015 saying stuff will only run as fast as the cpu allows, so a bigger frequency ram will be downlocked to cpu frequency.

i guess then its no more actual.

ok so by selecting the xmp  instead default pofile, its the thing that will allow our 2600 cpu to oc and run at the 3200 speed like the ram we will put him?

now, i been lookin on both memory constructor and cpu and mobo constructor pages, and didnt find anywhere infos saying clearly if it support xmp or up to what extend. where to find this datas?

AMD and Intel memory handling are different.

Manufacturer motherboard specifications are very clear about supported memory speeds. You will also find lists of compatible memory. Typically found in the Support section/tab.

I think you are obsessing over memory. While it is important, following some basic principals will produce good results. The general consensus at the moment for new systems, both AMD and Intel, is DDR4-3000 CL15 or DDR4-3200 CL16  offer the best combination of performance and cost.

hehe yes just trying to understand the how lol.

ok lets supose  get that 3200  ram, so the next step is to xmp enable for the proc to use it  or it will come off naturally ? i assume some setting  twitching need be done right

regarding cooling, is the h100i v2 better ? i plan oc to 5ghz only.

XMP must be enabled in the BIOS. 

Is the H100i v2 better than what?

1 hour ago, maclovesvernadith said:

well for oc at 5ghz is the h1oo rgb u linked suffisient or better get v2 ?

Either one should be fine. I included the RGB version to complement the case.

oki ty.

if i get a mobo like aorus master, supporting u to 4k hz ram, will be the i9 able handle 4ghz ram ?

5 hours ago, maclovesvernadith said:

oki ty.

if i get a mobo like aorus master, supporting u to 4k hz ram, will be the i9 able handle 4ghz ram ?

If the motherboard spec says that it will support up to DDR4-4000 an i9 should be able to handle DDR4-4000 memory with a suitable XMP profile. But I don't think there is any guaranty that will be the case.

Including DDR4-4000 memory in a build strikes me as a real waste of budget. The performance improvement from DDR4-3000 is rather small.

so better find a 3200 with low cl than a 4133 with cl 19.

some video test on youtube show diff of 40 fps around.

G.Skill Flare X Series 16 Go (2x 8 Go) DDR4 3200 MHz CL14

trying find some math.

Read the techpowerup article I linked previously. It examines a wide range of usage and fully explains its methodology and equipment.