My wireless network card causing W10 freezing?

renchy_is_sketchy

My internet was really slow and has been that way for ever , so i decided to try my brothers new networking card he had bought some time ago and wasnt using it. I snapped it in and when i tried putting in the wifi password the first freeze occured. I though it was weird so I restarted the pc but the problem persisted. I somehow managed to get the password in really fast but then the computer froze again , and now all i have to do is connect to the internet , but the freezes still happen after 5 or so minutes.

Also yesterday i did a speedtest and it wasnt much better at 4mbps , today i did a speed test and it was 46mpbs i was delighted for the shortest period until i tried the speed test again and it was 3mbps and then the pc froze forcing a restart like usual.

Im thinking about plugging the old networking card back in , uninstalling the drivers and putting the "new" one back in.

Any other things i should do with the drivers? 

Whole year feels like troubleshooting after troubleshooting.

Thanks. 

What is the brand and model of your wireless card? Visit the manufacturer's website and get their drivers instead of allowing Windows to choose, generic drivers sometimes do not work as well as those developed by the manufacturer.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

13 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

What is the brand and model of your wireless card? Visit the manufacturer's website and get their drivers instead of allowing Windows to choose, generic drivers sometimes do not work as well as those developed by the manufacturer.

Its a TP-LINK TL-WN851ND so its quite old  as the disc that comes with it isnt even compatible with windows 10.

Will do that today. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

Its a TP-LINK TL-WN851ND so its quite old  as the disc that comes with it isnt even compatible with windows 10.

Will do that today. 

Thanks

There is a chance they don't make drivers for W10. I have an N 900 TP Link card and I know for a fact that they don't supply W10 drivers. Using the drivers via Windows update tend to work. It might be better to upgrade to a better WiFi adapter however. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

There is a chance they don't make drivers for W10. I have an N 900 TP Link card and I know for a fact that they don't supply W10 drivers. Using the drivers via Windows update tend to work. It might be better to upgrade to a better WiFi adapter however. 

Yup , im stuck with the drivers which are installed automatically upon pc reboot.

Yeah i think that buying a new wifi adapter might be the better and the only option.

Thanks.

I see what you are saying... There are available drivers for Win XP / Vista / 7 only and those operating systems are obsolete (support for Windows 7 is also ending), I also think it's time for an update and if you allow me I will suggest this wireless adapter for desktop computers but you need to have a motherboard with M.2 slot with E key connector:

Since many manufacturers did not create new drivers for the newer operating systems, Windows 10 has a feature that allows compatibility with previous versions, it uses old drivers and adapts them but as you have realized, it works for some time only or does not work at all. You still uninstall the driver and then run the following driver from your manufacturer and see if that solves the problem (momentarily):

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming