Need a Storage Solution for myself

Hi!

I am looking for a storage server with around 44,45 drives with each drive of around 4TB.

I am looking into Freenas as the operating system and Raid Z2 for software raid configuration. 

I looked into a JBOD server by SuperMicro but i am not sure how to setup a JBOD based server.

I want to even setup an exact same backup server alongside 1 main server.

The SuperMicro JBOD server i am recommended is - https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847E1C-R1K28JBOD

I am attaching the layout i am looking for.

Can anyone Suggest me the hardware that i should opt for in such a case.

20190322_192248.jpg

I'd recommend something like two HPE MSA 2050 SAN Dual Controller LFF Storage with 2*3 additional HPE MSA 2050 LFF Disk Enclosure. The MSAs also have 2 build in controllers each for High Availability.

You could also go directly to the HPE D6020 w/35 6TB 12G SAS 7.2K LFF (3.5in) Dual Port Midline HDD 210TB Bundle but you'd still need controllers for that.

why only 4tb drives? Id get 12tb+ drives here, then you can get away with much fewer drives, so lower cost, lower power, smaller servers.

Id look into centos or ubntu with zfs, as its normally easier to script and worth with.

Id just get fewer bigge drives, and have eacher server with 12-24 12tb drives.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why only 4tb drives? Id get 12tb+ drives here, then you can get away with much fewer drives, so lower cost, lower power, smaller servers.

Id look into centos or ubntu with zfs, as its normally easier to script and worth with.

Id just get fewer bigge drives, and have eacher server with 12-24 12tb drives.

the reason why i am trying to stay at 4TB is because i want the pool to have a lot of redundancy. I wanted to setup 11 different Z Pools with Raid Z2 config which will allow me to get redundancy of upto 2 HDD per 4 HDD Z Pool.

Though you have a fair point , can't deny your fact.

6 hours ago, Acedia said:

I'd recommend something like two HPE MSA 2050 SAN Dual Controller LFF Storage with 2*3 additional HPE MSA 2050 LFF Disk Enclosure. The MSAs also have 2 build in controllers each for High Availability.

You could also go directly to the HPE D6020 w/35 6TB 12G SAS 7.2K LFF (3.5in) Dual Port Midline HDD 210TB Bundle but you'd still need controllers for that.

I was looking for something more DIY! Like getting a SuperMicro Server with a Controller Server that i create using some general hardware like xeons and SuperMicro server boards so that i have full control over it in the near future.

7 hours ago, dev_1523 said:

I was looking for something more DIY! Like getting a SuperMicro Server with a Controller Server that i create using some general hardware like xeons and SuperMicro server boards so that i have full control over it in the near future.

Don’t.

in that case take the HPE D6020 w/35 6TB 12G SAS 7.2K LFF (3.5in) Dual Port Midline HDD 210TB Bundle and you can still DIY the Controller part since it’s only a SAS connector

2 hours ago, Acedia said:

Don’t.

in that case take the HPE D6020 w/35 6TB 12G SAS 7.2K LFF (3.5in) Dual Port Midline HDD 210TB Bundle and you can still DIY the Controller part since it’s only a SAS connector

Okay , Thank you so much for your recommendations.