duo 1060 without sli????

Damy-666

I am upgrading my gpu from a 1060 6gb to a 2080. But now I got a 1060 that I am not using so I figured that I could give it to my brother so he can try to use it with his 1060 6gb. But would it work with 2 gpu's on a motherboard that doesnt support sli ( I know that the 1060 doesnt support sli from nvidia). For example plug in 1 monitor on which he plays games and a second monitor on the second gpu for google chrome or discord.

In my theory this should work like a laptop does with intergraded and a dedicated grapichs card, but is it that easy? If it doesnt work this way is there a way to make it work?

people used to use their old cards as dedicated physX cards, might as well try it since you aren't using it.

20 minutes ago, Damy-666 said:

I am upgrading my gpu from a 1060 6gb to a 2080. But now I got a 1060 that I am not using so I figured that I could give it to my brother so he can try to use it with his 1060 6gb. But would it work with 2 gpu's on a motherboard that doesnt support sli ( I know that the 1060 doesnt support sli from nvidia). For example plug in 1 monitor on which he plays games and a second monitor on the second gpu for google chrome or discord.

In my theory this should work like a laptop does with intergraded and a dedicated grapichs card, but is it that easy? If it doesnt work this way is there a way to make it work?

There not really a point in doing that. It would work even if you have some stability issues with drivers but it would stress more the cpu than it would if you had two monitors plugged in just one 1060. My recommendation is either use one of them or sell both and buy a better card.

8 minutes ago, Labeled said:

people used to use their old cards as dedicated physX cards, might as well try it since you aren't using it.

Is there a forum post on how to do this?? And what are the gains in fps in games or doesnt it have to do a lot with games?

9 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

There not really a point in doing that. It would work even if you have some stability issues with drivers but it would stress more the cpu than it would if you had two monitors plugged in just one 1060. My recommendation is either use one of them or sell both and buy a better card.

It is just a little test I am thinking about doing but concidering it would stress the cpu more, I might have to wait with that. My brother his pc is running an old FX 6300 cpu.

10 minutes ago, Damy-666 said:

Is there a forum post on how to do this?? And what are the gains in fps in games or doesnt it have to do a lot with games?

It is just a little test I am thinking about doing but concidering it would stress the cpu more, I might have to wait with that. My brother his pc is running an old FX 6300 cpu.

Try that out. I used to run two cards from my old pc. one nvidia for the cuda and one amd for gaming. It served me well but it's not suitable anymore at least with the modern cards.

16 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

I would sell the 1060 and look into a platform upgrade asap. That FX processor is a major bottleneck.

Well if he aims 1080p 30-60 fps then that FX is more than enough. Think that i can achieve that with my phenom. Still you got a point and he would better start looking to upgrade.

6 hours ago, Damy-666 said:

not many games use physX to be useful anymore, it was a decent fps boost in those games though. It will not however effect any games without physX.

Honestly chrome and discord don't use enough GPU on a second monitor to really go with a second 1060, especially with an fx 6300 that thing is old as fuck and its age is definitely showing. I finally got my dad to upgrade off his. He is probably bottle necking his 1060 with the fx 6300..

Sell it and start a fund to get out of the FX platform. Even a Ryzen 5 would be a huge difference compared to anything in the FX line. 

12 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

Well if he aims 1080p 30-60 fps then that FX is more than enough. Think that i can achieve that with my phenom. Still you got a point and he would better start looking to upgrade.

It does come down to the game, I had an FX 8350 overclocked to 4.5GHz but it still struggled in more CPU intensive games like Arma 3.