Upgrading to a 9900K?

Hi all,

So lately I've been doing some hefty projects in Unity, so my question is do you think I should upgrade my 7700K to a 9900K? Or should I upgrade my water cooling? My CPU tends to get toasty with these big projects.

My current specs:

Core i7 7700K

GTX 1080

32 gigs DDR4

Thanks!

Steve

If the i7 is getting hot then the i9 probably will too. How hot is the i7 getting right now?

A girl who loves to love.

7 minutes ago, Stevers108 said:

Hi all,

So lately I've been doing some hefty projects in Unity, so my question is do you think I should upgrade my 7700K to a 9900K? Or should I upgrade my water cooling? My CPU tends to get toasty with these big projects.

My current specs:

Core i7 7700K

GTX 1080

32 gigs DDR4

Thanks!

Steve

In general Unity likes:
* Lots of CPU cores, especially for light baking
- More cores is probably preferable to fewer but faster cores, which is generally the opposite of what a gaming computer wants
* A good amount of RAM
- I would go with 8 GB minimum for anything but the most simplistic of projects, preferably 16
* SSD storage for your project
- Again with the light baking SSD can be night and day, and it also helps a lot when opening your project, reloading assets, compiling, and creating builds
* A modern video card
- The video card should be fairly recent, but doesn't need to be a high end version unless your game will take advantage of higher end cards. Onboard graphics from a recent motherboard/CPU will work fine for less demanding games (such as Intel HD whatever recent version integrated graphics)

To be honest 9900k would be better suitable or even 2700x as unity likes cores.

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

5 minutes ago, Aimi said:

If the i7 is getting hot then the i9 probably will too. How hot is the i7 getting right now?

4 minutes ago, Xcoool said:

In general Unity likes:
* Lots of CPU cores, especially for light baking
- More cores is probably preferable to fewer but faster cores, which is generally the opposite of what a gaming computer wants
* A good amount of RAM
- I would go with 8 GB minimum for anything but the most simplistic of projects, preferably 16
* SSD storage for your project
- Again with the light baking SSD can be night and day, and it also helps a lot when opening your project, reloading assets, compiling, and creating builds
* A modern video card
- The video card should be fairly recent, but doesn't need to be a high end version unless your game will take advantage of higher end cards. Onboard graphics from a recent motherboard/CPU will work fine for less demanding games (such as Intel HD whatever recent version integrated graphics)

To be honest 9900k would be better suitable or even 2700x as unity likes cores.

When I first open my scene, I see my CPU spike up to around 85C for a couple of minutes, then it starts to drop back down to mid 70's-60's once its done loading. The scene itself runs fine, it's just that my CPU gets toasty.

I'm doing a VR project, and my 7700K has been able to handle the entire scenes up till the very last bits. The computers at my college have Xeons and I have been using those to finish the tail end of the scenes, but it's just annoying to transfer these big files back and forth.

1 minute ago, Stevers108 said:

When I first open my scene, I see my CPU spike up to around 85C for a couple of minutes, then it starts to drop back down to mid 70's-60's once its done loading.

I'm doing a VR project, and my 7700K has been able to handle the entire scenes up till the very last bits. The computers at my college have Xeons and I have been using those to finish the tail end of the scenes.

So an i9 would help, but you'd likely want to upgrade cooling as well if the i7 is reaching 85C.

A girl who loves to love.

2 minutes ago, Aimi said:

So an i9 would help, but you'd likely want to upgrade cooling as well if the i7 is reaching 85C.

What would be a good cooler for a 7700K? Right now I have a Corsair h00v2. I would do my own watercooling, but right now, I just don't have the time, so I've been using AIO's.

3 minutes ago, Stevers108 said:

When I first open my scene, I see my CPU spike up to around 85C for a couple of minutes, then it starts to drop back down to mid 70's-60's once its done loading. The scene itself runs fine, it's just that my CPU gets toasty.

I'm doing a VR project, and my 7700K has been able to handle the entire scenes up till the very last bits. The computers at my college have Xeons and I have been using those to finish the tail end of the scenes, but it's just annoying to transfer these big files back and forth.

Ok, it all depends on how much money you would like to invest.As mentioned before upgrading cpu would speed entire process but you need proper cooling as well.If you are happy with 7700k speed i suggest to buy a proper air cooler even budget hyper 212 would keep it from reaching 85c.

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

1 minute ago, Xcoool said:

Ok, it all depends on how much money you would like to invest.As mentioned before upgrading cpu would speed entire process but you need proper cooling as well.If you are happy with 7700k speed i suggest to buy a proper air cooler even budget hyper 212 would keep it from reaching 85c.

I always thought that water cooling would be better vs air cooling. I know it usually depends on the situation though, but would an air cooler keep it from reaching 85C?

Just now, Stevers108 said:

I always thought that water cooling would be better vs air cooling. I know it usually depends on the situation though, but would an air cooler keep it from reaching 85C?

7700k isn't exactly high TDP processor.Liquid or air are basically the same in performance unless you do short term extreme overclocking.As water cooling takes longer period of time to equalize temps.

I use corsair h150pro (360mm AIO) for my 2700x as intake because of my 300w custom  vega 64 is a heater....

To answer your questions,YES any beefier air cooler would keep 7700k from reaching 85c.I had 212 hyper 2-fan variant on 6700k @ 4.6 ghz and it never went beyond 75c running prime 95 small ftt.

12 minutes ago, Xcoool said:

7700k isn't exactly high TDP processor.Liquid or air are basically the same in performance unless you do short term extreme overclocking.As water cooling takes longer period of time to equalize temps.

I use corsair h150pro (360mm AIO) for my 2700x as intake because of my 300w custom  vega 64 is a heater....

To answer your questions,YES any beefier air cooler would keep 7700k from reaching 85c.I had 212 hyper 2-fan variant on 6700k @ 4.6 ghz and it never went beyond 75c running prime 95 small ftt.

Would this be too much?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L7UZMAK/?tag=isgpunerd-20

7 hours ago, Stevers108 said:

Well it is overkill,but it would certainly do the job...pretty much keeping your cpu under 60c.

10 hours ago, Stevers108 said:

Hi all,

My current specs:

Core i7 7700K

GTX 1080

32 gigs DDR4

Thanks!

Steve

You can't upgrade, you have to replace the Board as well.

And since you already have something decent, it makes sense to wait and see what AMD has in store later this year...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"