Budget Case - Why not milk crate?

eif

So i'm binging on some LTT videos, and they mentioned the word "milk crate case".

I'm planning a build right now so i'm thinking why not?

as far as i can see, the issues with milk milk crate + zip tie is that:

- dust: it's open air so will get more dusty

- noise: again, open air

my build would be a simple mATX/ITX board + 1 GPU + 1 SSD. I'll have enough space to put the crate somewhere so it won't be accidentally messed with. I might get noctua if it does turn out to be noisy, but other than that, is there any other issue? aesthetic wise, it might be unique enough that it'd turn out cool

is there any other issues i haven't thought about? because i'm seriously considering a milk crate case.

59 minutes ago, eif said:

So i'm binging on some LTT videos, and they mentioned the word "milk crate case".

I'm planning a build right now so i'm thinking why not?

as far as i can see, the issues with milk milk crate + zip tie is that:

- dust: it's open air so will get more dusty

- noise: again, open air

my build would be a simple mATX/ITX board + 1 GPU + 1 SSD. I'll have enough space to put the crate somewhere so it won't be accidentally messed with. I might get noctua if it does turn out to be noisy, but other than that, is there any other issue? aesthetic wise, it might be unique enough that it'd turn out cool

is there any other issues i haven't thought about? because i'm seriously considering a milk crate case.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with a milk crate, but for 20 bucks you can get a real case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJL5N6K/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1

I've also seen computers in pumpkins, if it works, and your ok with it, give it a shot.

image.png.9835463b1e78c7ca49dc60d501ad2ab8.png

(source google)

I would avoid putting one in a pumpkin.

21 minutes ago, CodeNova said:

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with a milk crate, but for 20 bucks you can get a real case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJL5N6K/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1

i read that open-air is better for cooling(i'm doing air cooling), that's why i'm considering it :p, thanks for the suggestion!

Just now, eif said:

i read that open-air is better for cooling(i'm doing air cooling), that's why i'm considering it :p, thanks for the suggestion!

The drawbacks definitely outweigh the disadvantage on open air imo. 

You can build something like this, but do it for the cool factor, not the cost savings. If you have ~500$+ to blow on a computer, you have 20$ for a cheap ass used case off of Craigslist or something

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

3 minutes ago, eif said:

My Pc is actually on testbench setup with a lid.

its cool & quiet, no need additional case fans at all.

DIY dust filters on all fans, had to clean every 3 months or so, otherwise gpu temp gradually increases.

other than that dust doesnt really build up on mobo etc

also added a fan in pull action on cpu (side effect) to blow directly on vrms

1 hour ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

The drawbacks definitely outweigh the disadvantage on open air imo. 

You can build something like this, but do it for the cool factor, not the cost savings. If you have ~500$+ to blow on a computer, you have 20$ for a cheap ass used case off of Craigslist or something

yeah i'm mostly doing it for a "cool" factor haha. what kind of drawbacks do you see other than the one i listed?

58 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

My Pc is actually on testbench setup with a lid.

its cool & quiet, no need additional case fans at all.

DIY dust filters on all fans, had to clean every 3 months or so, otherwise gpu temp gradually increases.

other than that dust doesnt really build up on mobo etc

also added a fan in pull action on cpu (side effect) to blow directly on vrms

yeah one thing i'm considering is the ease of cleaning, because every few months i can just carry the whole crate outside to go compressed air on it

3 hours ago, eif said:

yeah i'm mostly doing it for a "cool" factor haha. what kind of drawbacks do you see other than the one i listed?

Mostly? Someone being not careful and hitting a part accidently or something getting into it

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

If you really like being that low-budget, then go right ahead.Just dont put anything expensive in this build