Windows 10 SSD and HDD tiering

Hello

need an advice here are my issue:

i have windows 10 latest build

3 2TB and 2 500Gb ssd's

i have tiered them in powershell for mirror two ways (i did both 2 ssd's and 2 hdds columns and now it works as 2SSD's and 3HDD's - have more capacity atm)

the layout i used is 450 Gb used from ssd's and 2.8 Tb of HDD's and 20Gb used as cache with writeback cache enabled 

how do i know and test if it works properly? (i get around 900Gb read speed on 64Mb files with atto disk benchmark and 500Mb write speeds is that appear to work properly?)

also should i use the max capacity of a pool as the virtual disk or should some of it stay unused? (total pool capacity is 6Tb available for usage ~3.1 i use around 98% indicator in windows storage spaces and powershell)

the worst issue i experience is when the disks under load i get my space indicator in windows explorer disappear and trying to access storage spaces power shell or disk management fails it gets stuck windows itself looks like responding but any attempt to access disk indicator of any kind and it stops responding

also i have broken the the software raid and created the disks as individuals and copied files to it and from it (3 seagate barracuda) downloaded the seagate software and did smart and dst tests all came out good

prior to this raid configuration both SSD's were in a raid and worked perfectly

any advice will be appreciated

Thank you

Capture.JPG

well, if you're testing the hdds and they're giving you 900 read 500 write it is definitely working, Decently fast hdds will give like 140 read and like 95 write (I'm sure one that 140, that 95 might be a bit high, going off memory at the moment)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 hour ago, DrakonHawk said:

how do i know and test if it works properly? (i get around 900Gb read speed on 64Mb files with atto disk benchmark and 500Mb write speeds is that appear to work properly?)

This is what you should be getting with 2 SATA SSDs in a two-way mirror tier. For that configuration you get full stripe read and half for write, column width dependent but only 2 SSDs here so out of scope a bit. If you had 4 SSDs and column width of 4 you'd get 4x read and 2x write.

the worst issue i experience is when the disks under load i get my space indicator in windows explorer disappear and trying to access storage spaces power shell or disk management fails it gets stuck windows itself looks like responding but any attempt to access disk indicator of any kind and it stops responding

That shouldn't be happening, you'll have to use perfmon physical disk metrics to see if the access times and latency are within acceptable ranges. Also trying the powershell command to set the pool as power protected, that adds a lot of performance but risk too if you aren't actually power protected.

also should i use the max capacity of a pool as the virtual disk or should some of it stay unused? (total pool capacity is 6Tb available for usage ~3.1 i use around 98% indicator in windows storage spaces and powershell)

You can safely expand the HDD tier to maximum but leave the SSD tier with 10% free/unallocated.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

That shouldn't be happening, you'll have to use perfmon physical disk metrics to see if the access times and latency are within acceptable ranges. Also trying the powershell command to set the pool as power protected, that adds a lot of performance but risk too if you aren't actually power protected.

just happened again and i have found out some info for it:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{X}
 and APPID 
{X}
 to the user X) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

and this:

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Virtual Disk Service" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="16896">4</EventID>
  <Level>4</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-03-20T03:35:47.818212100Z" />
  <EventRecordID>8704</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>X</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>@2010001</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

it looks like the Virtual disk service is crashing and not receiving some permissions
i just tried to start it and restart the service but no luck

Edit: after some digging i found out some services failing to register with dcom by using strange 1024 sid while mine is different still cant resolve it as i dont have permission to change security settings in dcomcnfg components while i am an administrator

• 2 weeks later...

ok i ran some checks and did some testing this last error from event viewer is unrelated 

still need assistance with it if someone can help

i have high latency during file copy i suspect the disks fail to write in time between ssd and hdd or might have faulty power supply (although im having this problem only with tiered storage ordinary storage spaces works good (was using it over a year before switching to tiered)

ok i ran some checks and did some testing this last error from event viewer is unrelated 

still need assistance with it if someone can help

i have high latency during file copy i suspect the disks fail to write in time between ssd and hdd or might have faulty power supply (although im having this problem only with tiered storage ordinary storage spaces works good (was using it over a year before switching to tiered)

Capture.JPG