Wireless Ping Spikes?

dmxdwd

Hi,

I use a NETGEAR EX2700 to connect to my router downstairs by using an ethernet to the EX2700. Recently out of nowhere I'm having an issue where my internet goes from ~20 to 2000-3000 and then no internet at all. Mostly happens during games. To tell when this happens, I have my other monitor in cmd doing ping -t google.com. It'll be normal ping then 2000 then request time out. I'm not sure exactly what the issue could be. The ethernet cable, the Wifi Extender or my router downstairs? I want to know what the issue could be and how to test for it, or a permanent fix. I would just directly wire down to the router but I can't. Would you recommend a different WiFi extender or what? I tried factory resetting the EX2700 but nothing. Appreciate the help.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, dmxdwd said:

Hi,

I use a NETGEAR EX2700 to connect to my router downstairs by using an ethernet to the EX2700. Recently out of nowhere I'm having an issue where my internet goes from ~20 to 2000-3000 and then no internet at all. Mostly happens during games. To tell when this happens, I have my other monitor in cmd doing ping -t google.com. It'll be normal ping then 2000 then request time out. I'm not sure exactly what the issue could be. The ethernet cable, the Wifi Extender or my router downstairs? I want to know what the issue could be and how to test for it, or a permanent fix. I would just directly wire down to the router but I can't. Would you recommend a different WiFi extender or what? I tried factory resetting the EX2700 but nothing. Appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Could be your ISP, or the cable lines underground connecting to the ISP.

could test it by connecting a laptop to the main router and testing ping (wired), remove everything else while you test that

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Also might depend on what internet connection type you have. ie. I'm in Aus, and I have a shitty HFC that is very VERY flakey. 

Otherwise, it could be background processes just spiking (but i doubt it). You could leave Task Manager open and watch your network usage. 

38 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Could be your ISP, or the cable lines underground connecting to the ISP.

could test it by connecting a laptop to the main router and testing ping (wired), remove everything else while you test that

Well, nothing is underground here, its all telephone wires. 

Should have mentioned that the router downstairs works perfectly fine when it spikes. 

Seems when I get lag issues, I get ping spikes to my router, meaning it must be my WiFi extender, can I have any recommendations to something that will last longer but not cost too much? Thanks

Test it by running ping to your router instead of google. 

So run ping -t 192.168.1.254 (or whatever the IP is of your router)

If you're unsure what the IP is, run "ipconfig /all" in your command prompt, and its the "Gateway Address" under your wifi adapter. 

If its still high, then check your Resource monitor as something is possibly downloading updates which is congesting your wifi connection. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

6 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Test it by running ping to your router instead of google. 

So run ping -t 192.168.1.254 (or whatever the IP is of your router)

If you're unsure what the IP is, run "ipconfig /all" in your command prompt, and its the "Gateway Address" under your wifi adapter. 

If its still high, then check your Resource monitor as something is possibly downloading updates which is congesting your wifi connection. 

Yeah my router IP is 192.168.0.1, I just had 2 cmds open one for google, and one for my router. They both lose connection at the same time. 

Meaning I should buy a new WiFi Extender? Would you recommend anything?

ping.jpg

Edited by dmxdwd
Added Pic

So that ping is all over the place and then you're losing connection...have you checked with a Wifi Analyzer to see what channels have the least interference, and make sure your router is broadcasting on that channel? 

Have you changed anything in the house....e.g cordless phones, position of router/extender, etc? 

have you tried dropping back to 802.11g to see if its more stable than 802.11n? it doesnt have MIMO so its half the speed, but could stabilize it. 

A "ghetto" solution or a way to test if its your strength can be to cut out some cardboard "sails" and line them with tinfoil (or use some disposable tinfoil trays) and put them around your routers antennas to direct more signal strength towards your extender...it looks stupid, but this can make a huge difference since routers have Omni-directional antenna

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA