Why is my phone so stupid?

I have an s8 plus and it is great except one thing, it holds onto a wifi network until complete failure. So on my farm I have different network and my phone automatically connects to them, problem if I walk far away from one and it has 1 bar and barely works but theres 2 others with 5 bars it will hold onto that super weak connection until it completely drops. It is very annoying so I must ask...why?

Your phone is selecting the network you want it to be on , if you want to use the stronger network then select it. 

32 minutes ago, emosun said:

Your phone is selecting the network you want it to be on , if you want to use the stronger network then select it. 

So the only way is to constantly manually switch from network to network like I already do.....

6 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

So the only way is to constantly manually switch from network to network like I already do.....

if you're outside you can also just use mobile data and it wont require changing wifi networks.

wifi isnt really a farm wide solution , unles you're willing to install a more robust wifi system then this is sorta what mobile data is for

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

if you're outside you can also just use mobile data and it wont require changing wifi networks.

wifi isnt really a farm wide solution , unles you're willing to install a more robust wifi system then this is sorta what mobile data is for

I just have wifi up around the barns and stuff. I have wifi it just won't switch to the stronger network automatically is all.

Also if I'm out in the shop working for hours  and watching Netflix or YouTube as I work then mobile data would be gone fast.

Because that is how WiFi works. It wasn't designed to jump around to different networks but stay on one network as long as it possibly can.

Most places that have a large area to cover use multiple access points that act as the same wireless network. The APs talk to one another or to a central wireless controller, and share information about the wireless clients. When a device starts to move away from one AP and comes in range of another the wireless network can seamlessly switch the device from one AP to the other AP without any connection interruptions. 

But your starting to enter into the more enterprise grade wireless solutions at this point. You might be able to DIY something your self with custom firmware like DD-WRT and I think there are some off the shelf Wireless mesh technology for the home as well.

1 hour ago, Catsrules said:

Because that is how WiFi works. It wasn't designed to jump around to different networks but stay on one network as long as it possibly can.

Most places that have a large area to cover use multiple access points that act as the same wireless network. The APs talk to one another or to a central wireless controller, and share information about the wireless clients. When a device starts to move away from one AP and comes in range of another the wireless network can seamlessly switch the device from one AP to the other AP without any connection interruptions. 

But your starting to enter into the more enterprise grade wireless solutions at this point. You might be able to DIY something your self with custom firmware like DD-WRT and I think there are some off the shelf Wireless mesh technology for the home as well.

1 hour ago, The_Askinator said:

Possibly try to create a mesh wifi networking setup?

Sounds like ill just keep doing what I am doing as it is very simple..... problem with a mesh wifi setup is unless it is super top end quaility then all the copies and extensions of the same network will fight with each other as I have tired this before. Even the stuff they had at my university if you got in the wrong spot it whare it was coming from one and going to another it would keep switching back and forth and just not work, a couple people had there residence rooms on that point so never could use wifi even with a strong network connection. Ill just keep doing what I am doing, I am surprised that phones and devices do not have an option to always switch to the network with the highest signal when the other network gets very low but owell I just turn wifi off and back on again from the top menu and there ya go. 

On 3/10/2019 at 1:46 AM, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Sounds like ill just keep doing what I am doing as it is very simple..... problem with a mesh wifi setup is unless it is super top end quaility then all the copies and extensions of the same network will fight with each other as I have tired this before. Even the stuff they had at my university if you got in the wrong spot it whare it was coming from one and going to another it would keep switching back and forth and just not work, a couple people had there residence rooms on that point so never could use wifi even with a strong network connection. Ill just keep doing what I am doing, I am surprised that phones and devices do not have an option to always switch to the network with the highest signal when the other network gets very low but owell I just turn wifi off and back on again from the top menu and there ya go. 

I was just thinking you might be able to do something with an App called Tasker.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en_US

I am by no means an expert on tasker, but I belive I have seen Wifi signel strength in the options. So in theory I bet you could create a task that looks at the wifi strength and maybe could looks at other sounding wifis and if others are greater switch over to the strongest one. 

My guess it would totally eat your battery as your phone would be searching for new access points all of the time. But maybe you could put in a catch that only run the task if Wifi signal fell below a certain point.