Options and Options and Options!

Hey everyone,

First off, I hope you are having a great week if not I hope it gets better. Let's start here, I have been running a QNAP NAS for 9-years and it's been running rock solid. 4GB ram | Intel Core 2 Duo with 5x 3TB Drives @ 10TB usable space! Now it's time to reinvest expand my storage and move on to a new setup. 

I purchased an HP Gen10 Server it's running a XEON Silver CPU (1 Socket) (for now 16gb ram) but I can expand to 192gb. The array will be x8 12TB Helium Drives. The reason I opted to go with a traditional server this time around is it gives me options to scale up or down and to install many options for images -distros. Examples? Vmware esxi, Hyper V, Windows Server 2019, FREENAS, Unbuntu etc etc 

The parts are now coming in and I am just torn. Do I just do freenas? Do I install vmware and freeenas on top of it? Should I just do Hyperv?

In short this holds alot of high res 4k movies and images from my GX85 and GH5 cameras along with 4k drone footage + dslr images and of course backups. 

Thoughts? 

EDIT: I forgot to add, please keep in mind i may or may not add a 32TB SAN (this will most likely happen) 

OLD NAS setup

*NAS*=QNAP TS-509 Pro/RAID5/(5)Seagate  3TB @ 10.5 TB

Windows 10 Latest Build
RAID 0 Samsung SSD 970 2tb EVO's (4Tb Store)
RTX 3090
9900k DELIDDED with custom copper Rockitcool @ 5ghz 
H150i RGB PRO XT
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory 1.35v XMP Profile
Phanteks PH-P1200PS 80+ Platinum - Built-in Power Splitter 1200W Fully Modular

Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)
Top Mon #2 ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q | NVIDIA G-Sync 100hz

Bottom Mon #1 Alienware Overclocked Refresh Rate #AW3418DW G-Sync 120hz

Server: 2019 DataCenter Edition, 42TB Store RAID 6 | WD Gold Enterprise Class 7200 RPM,SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache

FreeNAS is best run on bare-metal. Don't install a hyper-visor over the top.

This is the recommendation of the TrueNAS/FreeNAS developers.

If you are spending that much money on server-grade infrastructure then don't do something not recommended at the OS-layer compromising your storage solution.