OS for old gaming pc only 4gb ram

Hello need help choosing between windows 10 and windows 7 for older pc (low budget)

i made a pc but it only supports 4gb ram and that makes summe of my games stutter a lot on windwos 10
the specs are x5460

ASUS P5KPL-AM SE
4gb ddr2

gpu r9 270
the pc has 1280x1024 75 hz monitor :D 

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Windows 7 would work better, but given the CPU's age, I'd rather throw on XP (and not connect it to the internet)

xp definitely not i need it for new games aswell like bf4, csgo and pubg

I might have an old copy of MSDos 3.1 around here somewhere if you want to go back that far.

I think the issue lies in the hardware more than the version of Windows. If you can overclock that processor a fair bit things may get better but there's just not a lot you can do with what you have. It's better suited to office work or basic internet browsing with hardware that old, sadly. The GPU you have isn't too bad, it's being constrained by the CPU's lower abilities. If you could upgrade to to even a Haswell i3 based system you'd probably notice a decent improvement, even with only 4GB of RAM but sadly your DDR2 isn't going to work with anything in the Core i series of CPU's, as they require DDR3 for anything from socket 1155 to 1150 and then DDR4 going forward to socket 1151. You may be able to score a used OEM system board or a whole system from Dell or HP that would have a basic i3 or Pentium CPU in it and some RAM to use as a base to build up into a newer system.

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I think the issue lies in the hardware more than the version of Windows. If you can overclock that processor a fair bit things may get better but there's just not a lot you can do with what you have. It's better suited to office work or basic internet browsing with hardware that old, sadly. The GPU you have isn't too bad, it's being constrained by the CPU's lower abilities. If you could upgrade to to even a Haswell i3 based system you'd probably notice a decent improvement, even with only 4GB of RAM but sadly your DDR2 isn't going to work with anything in the Core i series of CPU's, as they require DDR3 for anything from socket 1155 to 1150 and then DDR4 going forward to socket 1151. You may be able to score a used OEM system board or a whole system from Dell or HP that would have a basic i3 or Pentium CPU in it and some RAM to use as a base to build up into a newer system.

it gives me avg of 140 fps in csgo 1080p all low that is not bad for me at all but it sometimes has massive stutters but it's only like once every 10 min or so so dont it its the cpu that hold me back

On Windows 10 New and Updates, my IDLE (after 5 mins) Ram usage is 1.4GB

On Windows 7, it's as low as 700-900MB once Updated and and usually sits between 900MB-1.1GB Max on Idle (5 mins)

Same PC.

Could very well be Ram-Speed (chasing new assets to load) or HDD-Caching mechanisms...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

14 hours ago, Bitter said:

Hmm what's running in the background?

nothing clean boot and straight to steam

13 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

On Windows 10 New and Updates, my IDLE (after 5 mins) Ram usage is 1.4GB

On Windows 7, it's as low as 700-900MB once Updated and and usually sits between 900MB-1.1GB Max on Idle (5 mins)

Same PC.

Could very well be Ram-Speed (chasing new assets to load) or HDD-Caching mechanisms...

will test is its the hdd just moved games to ssd

You might want to try Windows 8.1 since many people say it is the least demanding of the modern Windows OS. But honestly you won't get much better results on this hardware no matter the OS.

Both - win7 and win10 should run similar, but win7 has less processes running in background, you can easily disable almost everything that you don't use and don't worry about tasks that are made for new functions or security improvements. Windows 7 will be faster if you configure it well and without any slowdowns like AV software.