Is my PSU Antec 500w VP500PC (80 plus White) enough for R7 2700x upgrade ?

Minhdo501

Hello guys ! I need help when upgrading my current PC specs to another one and it is jumping from an i3 8100 to a R7 2700x.

My detail specs (as shown in the image)

Main: Colorful Battle Axe C.B360M-HD DELUXE V20

CPU: i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 4GB Bus 2400 DDR4 (4x2)

VGA: MSI GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OC/ OCV1 (Black & White)

PSU: Power Antec 500W VP500PC

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Q300L

Monitor: Dell 27 Monitor: P2719H 1920 x 1080(p) (60Hz)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)

The question here is: will my current PSU is enough when i switch from i3 8100 + B360 to R7 2700x + B450 (Msi Mortar) ?

Thank you very much for reading my topic !

31890CA2-9A88-4985-98FC-2109892D56E6.png

Wattage isn't an isue, 500W is more than enough.

Don't know much about the Antec VP500PC and I can't find any English reviews for it, but it's ranked Tier F/Tier 6 in the PSU tier thread (which is bad), and it appears the Antec VP series are low quality group regulated units. According to Orionpsudb based on CWT GPA series platform.

You should replace it with a better quality unit if you want to run a modern 8 core 16 thread CPU. If you're already spending $400+ on the CPU & Motherboard then $50 on a decent PSU isn't much.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

-= Moved to Cases and Power Supplies =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Get something like BQ PP11 500W, which is around 70 euros or bitfenix formula gold 450- 550w. These are kind of budget units with decent quality.

and the CM calculator overshoots the required wattage.. irrelevant. Heck, even 450w would suffice..

according to be quiet!'s online calculator, your package consumes 291w at max. Therefore, even a 450w unit should do the trick (formula gold 450?)

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

2 hours ago, ZINHAR said:

I'm not sure of the quality either, I'd say it's enough but don't do any Overclocking or even an All-Core Turbo

leave everything at stock and you'll be fine :)

Damn, your comments give me shiver haha.

Probably, i need to save and go for another new PSU then for more confidences

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Moved to Cases and Power Supplies =-

How could i, this is my first time here sir and im on my mobile at work :/

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

A) PSU calculators like that are bs.

B) 500ws is perfectly fine for that system, but I'm not sure about the quality of the PSU you are using.

Its stated that 80 Plus White and i can find any guarantee, also :/

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Get something like BQ PP11 500W, which is around 70 euros or bitfenix formula gold 450- 550w. These are kind of budget units with decent quality.

and the CM calculator overshoots the required wattage.. irrelevant. Heck, even 450w would suffice..

according to be quiet!'s online calculator, your package consumes 291w at max. Therefore, even a 450w unit should do the trick (formula gold 450?)

Mine is 80 Plus White and by reading those comments from others, im about to get scared for its quality also ?

Thought that i need to save and go for an EVGA 600w for future upgrade maybe. But unfortunately, i spend all for that AMD combo this month ?

So its should be fine in theory but in reality, its not guaranteed since that PSU model is unpopular and in tier F :/

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's power efficiency, not quality.  I went over the list on here and it's pretty low quality.  If you can afford it maybe get a better PSU like an EVGA G2 550W.

I dont know why its pretty well-known in my country and be ranked at the top 5 most worth-using PSU. I did some research also but neither can i find the negative ranking nor the reviews. And a friend of mine recommended this one. Besides, i really want to switch to an EVGA PSU badly since its famous and comes with clean black strips.

5 hours ago, Minhdo501 said:

How could i, this is my first time here sir and im on my mobile at work :/

I moved it. Post is to show that I did so.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER