Will circuit breaker affect Wi-Fi signal (photo attached)

grangervoldemort

Will placing the router near the holes where you see on the wall, affect the Wi-Fi signal because of the circuit breaker box?

1550833816493325042986156689474.jpg

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

Unless your breaker is somehow outputting frequencies of 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz then I wouldn't worry.

3 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Unless your breaker is somehow outputting frequencies of 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz then I wouldn't worry.

How do you know it won't affect it?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Just now, grangervoldemort said:

How do you know it won't affect it?

I mean with my networking knowledge and being a graduated Cisco student I think that a circuit breaker won't effect your wifi signal if anything the metal would but you should be just fine.

7 minutes ago, VinZie said:

I mean with my networking knowledge and being a graduated Cisco student I think that a circuit breaker won't effect your wifi signal if anything the metal would but you should be just fine.

How do I know any of that is true? Can you explain why it wouldn't affect the signal? 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

1 minute ago, grangervoldemort said:

How do I know any of that is true? Can you explain why it wouldn't affect the signal? 

I don't know how your house was built however I do know that the last time I remember breakers don't output frequencies.

1 minute ago, VinZie said:

I don't know how your house was built however I do know that the last time I remember breakers don't output frequencies.

I thought Ethernet cables can't be run along with power cables because they disrupt the Ethernet cable? I would have thought it's the same thing here. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

1 minute ago, grangervoldemort said:

I thought Ethernet cables can't be run along with power cables because they disrupt the Ethernet cable? I would have thought it's the same thing here. 

While a shielded Cat5/6 cable is designed to protect itself from outside interferance, it isn't recommended to run them side-by-side to your electrical wiring. Typical is to run electrical down one stud and the Cat5/6 down a different stud. WiFi signals are different, WiFi uses frequencies to send signals, these frequencies are 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Electrical doesn't output frequencies like those. Typically, either 110-volt AC (110V) or 220-volt AC (220V) is used. Most countries use 50Hz (50 Hertz or 50 cycles per second) as their AC frequency. Only a handful use 60Hz. The standard in the United States is 120V and 60Hz AC electricity. A microwave for example because when you run a microwave it outputs 5GHz frequencies which if you are in school or at an office and someone uses a microwave and you are on WiFi it would usually disrupt the connection.

Please reply with anymore concerns! I am always here to help.

8 minutes ago, VinZie said:

While a shielded Cat5/6 cable is designed to protect itself from outside interferance, it isn't recommended to run them side-by-side to your electrical wiring. Typical is to run electrical down one stud and the Cat5/6 down a different stud. WiFi signals are different, WiFi uses frequencies to send signals, these frequencies are 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Electrical doesn't output frequencies like those. Typically, either 110-volt AC (110V) or 220-volt AC (220V) is used. Most countries use 50Hz (50 Hertz or 50 cycles per second) as their AC frequency. Only a handful use 60Hz. The standard in the United States is 120V and 60Hz AC electricity. A microwave for example because when you run a microwave it outputs 5GHz frequencies which if you are in school or at an office and someone uses a microwave and you are on WiFi it would usually disrupt the connection.

...I know how to run cat cables. You didn't explain how the signal is affected and why by power cables. 

As for location, I live in the UK. 240v here. No idea frequency etc. I would have thought electrical noise would affect the signal. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

2 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

...I know how to run cat cables. You didn't explain how the signal is affected and why by power cables. 

As for location, I live in the UK. 240v here. No idea frequency etc. I would have thought electrical noise would affect the signal. 

Referring to a website, the UK runs 230/240V at 50Hz. To answer your other question, ethernet can experience issues because of electromagnetic induction. If you wanna learn about it look it up. While taking networking at school we have racks full of routers and switches and we have power on the bottom of the racks, I think they're breakers I would have to ask my networking teacher but we run 6 routers and 6 switches and we use WiFi at some points I have personally never experienced problems while running WiFi in the racks. If you really want your answer just do a simple test.

Also not to sound hostile, but if you're so adamant that it will hurt, why do you want to put it there?

5 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Referring to a website, the UK runs 230/240V at 50Hz. To answer your other question, ethernet can experience issues because of electromagnetic induction. If you wanna learn about it look it up. While taking networking at school we have racks full of routers and switches and we have power on the bottom of the racks, I think they're breakers I would have to ask my networking teacher but we run 6 routers and 6 switches and we use WiFi at some points I have personally never experienced problems while running WiFi in the racks. If you really want your answer just do a simple test.

What's the simple test? We had a router up there before. But it developed issues with Wi-Fi. So at first I thought it was the breaker but then got a new router. This router has been in a small closet ever since. It needs to be mounted somewhere because on the inside of this closet door is where a ironing board is hung. Wi-Fi doesn't like a metal grill. 

Look I'll show you. 

15508372601227330712188326900085.jpg

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

4 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Also not to sound hostile, but if you're so adamant that it will hurt, why do you want to put it there?

No other place to put it centrally. I'm not adamant it will 'hurt'. I'm asking and want sound source material to backup the answer. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Can the breaker not emit electro magnetic waves? 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

3 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Can the breaker not emit electro magnetic waves? 

Breakers wouldn't emit large amounts of it to where it will disrupt data transfer but I would for sure recommend trying a more open space and not in such a closed area.

45 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Breakers wouldn't emit large amounts of it to where it will disrupt data transfer but I would for sure recommend trying a more open space and not in such a closed area.

This isn't America. Our apartment is small. We live above our business. This stairway and hallway, is the most central location, and all needed wires run into that closet. It has to be put here. 

Explain what you mean though and what's wrong with this location. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

43 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

This isn't America. Our apartment is small. We live above our business. This stairway and hallway, is the most central location, and all needed wires run into that closet. It has to be put here. 

WiFi signals get weaker when they have to go through materials such as concrete, metal, plywood, drywall etc. That is what could be causing problems.

5 hours ago, VinZie said:

Not just WiFi uses frequencies to send signals, everything does whether on purpose or not. That is why you'll see something like 550mhz printed on a Cat5e cable. Data is modulated into the power traveling down the copper wire essentially using magnetism which creates your frequency. Ethernet has a different twist rate for each pair of wires so that their frequencies are slightly different to not have crosstalk. Power cables have "natural" data modulated into them from passive elements as well as other things plugged into your house, like how some crappy power supplies on the same circuit can make your FM radio sound staticy.

Passive Intermodulation is a major issue right now with frequency "leaking" out of lines and causing a lot of problems on cellular sites with multiple carriers, the two frequencies mix to make a new frequency which can jam others. Really this is only an issue there because of the high wattage of the signal, you aren't going to have issues from PIM on your Ethernet cables, but PIM does exist and is happening on them. 

Microwave ovens are 2.4Ghz.

48 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

With the above being said, yes it will affect the signal a tiny bit, but very unlikely it would affect it to the point of causing you issues. The primary problem people run into are thick walls, metal things hung on the walls near the router, or to some extent water lines in the walls near the router. Getting it centrally located out in the open like you are planning is the best option, even with the power you have near it. The worst thing that can happen is it won't work... so get a long Ethernet cable and power extension cord, duct tape it on the wall there for a few days and see what happens.

29 minutes ago, Scheer said:

Not just WiFi uses frequencies to send signals, everything does whether on purpose or not. That is why you'll see something like 550mhz printed on a Cat5e cable. Data is modulated into the power traveling down the copper wire essentially using magnetism which creates your frequency. Ethernet has a different twist rate for each pair of wires so that their frequencies are slightly different to not have crosstalk. Power cables have "natural" data modulated into them from passive elements as well as other things plugged into your house, like how some crappy power supplies on the same circuit can make your FM radio sound staticy.

Passive Intermodulation is a major issue right now with frequency "leaking" out of lines and causing a lot of problems on cellular sites with multiple carriers, the two frequencies mix to make a new frequency which can jam others. Really this is only an issue there because of the high wattage of the signal, you aren't going to have issues from PIM on your Ethernet cables, but PIM does exist and is happening on them. 

Microwave ovens are 2.4Ghz.

With the above being said, yes it will affect the signal a tiny bit, but very unlikely it would affect it to the point of causing you issues. The primary problem people run into are thick walls, metal things hung on the walls near the router, or to some extent water lines in the walls near the router. Getting it centrally located out in the open like you are planning is the best option, even with the power you have near it. The worst thing that can happen is it won't work... so get a long Ethernet cable and power extension cord, duct tape it on the wall there for a few days and see what happens.

The problem with doing this is we have a business underneath. It relies on the internet via a Ethernet cable. That cable isn't long enough to go up there yet. My dad fiddled around with it and put the rest of it... I'm assuming under the floorboards. 

I spoke to 3 different places via the phone today. 

A local PC store. 

Linksys tech support.

D Link tech support. 

PC store said the fusebox can't cause any issues. 

Linksys lady said the same thing. 

D link guy said yes it can. 

I don't know what kinds of this the fusebox make emit that would cause interference so please fill me in if you know, other than electro magnetic fields. 

That's my concern. That the field can damage the components in the router or at the very least negatively affect them. 

Thoughts? 

Here is inside the closet or whatever it's called. Notice the many wires in the trunking leading up to the fusebox. 

It it worth upgrading the router? It's a netgear dgnd4000.

15508586717503358094291419224050.jpg

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

2 hours ago, VinZie said:

WiFi signals get weaker when they have to go through materials such as concrete, metal, plywood, drywall etc. That is what could be causing problems.

You needed to explain more clearly. You wrote '' I would for sure recommend trying a more open space and not in such a closed area.''

I THINK by closed space you were referring to the closet.

I thought you were referring to the outside space. Unless that IS what you are referring to?

Be more clear in your responses please. 

We don't have problems right now. That shelf needs to be cleared and it is messy right now with all those wires just hanging outside the shelf like that. And placing it outside of that closet will give better signal strength everywhere.

There was a problem in the past with an old router. Still have it here. Have had a problem with every single Netgear router we have owned, although it may be because my dad didn't pay an electrician to do the wiring and instead paid a family friend who is NOT a qualified electrician to do it and he helped out. The routers may have been getting damaged from bad wiring etc.

That breaker was installed by them as well.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

2 hours ago, Scheer said:

The worst thing that can happen is it won't work... so get a long Ethernet cable and power extension cord, duct tape it on the wall there for a few days and see what happens.

Why for a few days? Won't it be enough to use Wi-Fi Analyser, an app on my Galaxy S7 to look at signal strength and run a speedtest using .... speedtest in various locations?
Thank you

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

1 hour ago, grangervoldemort said:

Why for a few days? Won't it be enough to use Wi-Fi Analyser, an app on my Galaxy S7 to look at signal strength and run a speedtest using .... speedtest in various locations?
Thank you

There are a million different variables that could cause issues, like maybe you'll only have interference if the oven is on and someone microwaves something, but independently neither cause issues. I highly doubt you'll have a problem with any of that, but if you are concerned you may as well give it a decent length trial.

If it was me, I'd mount it on the wall and go have a beer.

3 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

I don't know what kinds of this the fusebox make emit that would cause interference so please fill me in if you know, other than electro magnetic fields. 

That's my concern. That the field can damage the components in the router or at the very least negatively affect them. 

If you want to know exactly the interference you have at your place, call up someone who deals with spectrum analysis, pay them $10,000-50,000 and they will tell you. Without bringing sweep gear to your place no one will know for sure. Phone apps are only going to show you what the radio in the phone can see, which is basically nothing in the grand scheme of things, they are only useful for finding which channel is most open. Also, If you have interference so bad it is frying routers, your WiFi signal strength is literally the least of your concerns.

1 hour ago, grangervoldemort said:

although it may be because my dad didn't pay an electrician to do the wiring and instead paid a family friend who is NOT a qualified electrician to do it and he helped out. The routers may have been getting damaged from bad wiring etc.

If your power is dirty and taking out devices, have the power company check up the meter and they will fix it if it is their problem. If its good on their end then you need to call an electrician before the house burns down, WiFi really doesn't work when on fire.

16 minutes ago, Scheer said:

There are a million different variables that could cause issues, like maybe you'll only have interference if the oven is on and someone microwaves something, but independently neither cause issues. I highly doubt you'll have a problem with any of that, but if you are concerned you may as well give it a decent length trial.

If it was me, I'd mount it on the wall and go have a beer.

If you want to know exactly the interference you have at your place, call up someone who deals with spectrum analysis, pay them $10,000-50,000 and they will tell you. Without bringing sweep gear to your place no one will know for sure. Phone apps are only going to show you what the radio in the phone can see, which is basically nothing in the grand scheme of things, they are only useful for finding which channel is most open. Also, If you have interference so bad it is frying routers, your WiFi signal strength is literally the least of your concerns.

If your power is dirty and taking out devices, have the power company check up the meter and they will fix it if it is their problem. If its good on their end then you need to call an electrician before the house burns down, WiFi really doesn't work when on fire.

Not my house. My parents are abusive. I've tried getting an electrician over to give a quote on adding those special new power cut out things where if you touch a live wire it instantly cuts. But firstly he was dodgy saying 'can't give you a quote, might find more stuff'. 

Secondly it resulted in my parents almost kicking me out again and making me homeless again. 

There's nothing I can do. Same thing with the asbestos ceilings. 

I wish I wasn't alive.

I can't tell the police yet, although I've asked them over a hundred times probably over many years never disclosing details of past abuse and never detailing too much of the current abuse. 

It's complicated. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

I see in the manual for my router, the dgnd4000 or confusingly N750, that it shouldn't be wall mounted. 

It also requires 6cm of clearance all around. 

I can't remove the stand either, though it says nothing about the stand. 

I'm guessing the stand is glued in. I know there's a clip but it should come out with some wiggling.

It doesn't. I'm guessing this router has to be kept upright.

Nowhere is it stated clearly that it can't be wall mounted prior to purchase. The user manual isn't a good place to write it. And it's some way into the manual. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD