Controller VS Mouse/Keyboard

FullTank1337

I couldn't find any threads about this so...

I want to discuss gaming (on PC ofc) with a game controller, as opposed to gaming with a mouse and keyboard. I keep seeing all these fancy shmancy optical mice and mechanical keyboards costing hundreds of dollars online and at my local tech shops, and while they are very nice, I find myself always sticking to cheap 20y/o $3 membrane Dell/HP mice and keyboards from the thrift store (after cleaning them ofc). They seem to work just fine for web browsing and typing word documents, meanwhile, as a video game collector, I've got bins full of old controllers for dozens of old game consoles and even a few actual PC controllers. For any kind of gaming, I just kinda look at my bin and ask myself "what would be the best controller for this game?" and then grab/buy a USB adapter for like $5 on ebay. I find that the Xbox 360 controller is all-around the best controller for 3D games, while PS1/PS2 controllers are perfect for 2D games.

Yes, I know, nothing beats the accuracy of a mouse (especially newer laser/optical ones) and that I'd get clobbered in a First Person Shooter, strategy game, or an old-school point-and-click adventure, but for everything else, I just see no reason to deal with a mouse and keyboard for anything outside of regular computery stuff.

Any fans of Dance Dance Revolution out there? Can't afford to buy or build a metal pad? just take your craptastic fold-up pad, get a USB adapter, download StepMania, and you're good to go. Got an Xbox 360 pad? Just plug it right in, you don't even need an adapter.

The whole idea of a gaming mouse or keyboard just contuses me. It's simply not the right tool for the job. The mouse was invented to navigate a GUI, the Keyboard was invented to type papers, while the controller was invented for gaming. So from my perspective, trying to game with a mouse/keyboard is like hammering a nail with a wrench instead of a hammer. Yeah, it works, but why would you do that?

TL;DR Mice and Keyboards are great, and essential for FPS, strategy, and adventure games (and ofc everything non-gaming) but for everything else, a controller just makes more sense. ESPECIALLY on the PC, where you can use any controller you want with any game you want.

But that's just my opinion. What do you guys think?

I personally prefer a gamepad for 3rd person games, such as The Witcher and GTA. Not that they aren't enjoyable with a mouse and keyboard...I just like a gamepad with those sorts of games more. But like you said, the best part of pc gaming is the flexibility to use whatever interface you like most with whichever game you choose. 

I played GTA 5 on both Xbox 360 and PS4 from 2014-2018, so I was well-accustomed to the Dualshock 4 controller. I now find myself still reaching for a Dualshock 4 if I'm playing on PC GTA 5, I'm too used to it.

Same for Rocket League, I played it on PS4 from 2017-2018, and now on PC, I still reach for a Dualshock 4.

It depends on the game in the end, some are more enjoyable with a controller, others a keyboard and mouse.

Hell, sometimes when playing PC Overwatch, I play with a controller because I played PS4 Overwatch for so long.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

imo, mouse > controller, as you get much more precison, ditto for WASD, however for switching weapons, reloading, etc, controller is fine.

its your own personal preferance, you don't need to spend 200$ on a keyboard, there are plenty of good 30$ keyboards, and tons of great 30$ mice, also, keyboard and mouse are multipurpose, you wouldn't write an email with a controoler,

47$ for controoler + 15$ for basic mouse + keyboard = 40$ mech keyboard + 20$ mouse.

Depends on the game, playstyle, and what you're used to.

Even on games that give you a legitimate advantage on a controller (For Honor, GTA V) I use KB/M because I grew up using those peripherals. I never had consoles as a kid.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 2/17/2019 at 9:32 AM, Firewrath9 said:

imo, mouse > controller, as you get much more precison, ditto for WASD, however for switching weapons, reloading, etc, controller is fine.

its your own personal preferance, you don't need to spend 200$ on a keyboard, there are plenty of good 30$ keyboards, and tons of great 30$ mice, also, keyboard and mouse are multipurpose, you wouldn't write an email with a controoler,

47$ for controoler + 15$ for basic mouse + keyboard = 40$ mech keyboard + 20$ mouse.

I dunno, I like the mouse sensitivity, but IMHO, using WASD controls (or even arrow keys) just kinda feels like using a D-pad. A really good D-pad for 2D games and such, but kind of a wonky replacement for an analog stick in 3D.

Also, for me it's like, $3 for controller + $3 for mouse + $3 for keyboard... I gotta stop shopping for PC accessories at thrift stores.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, SenpaiKaplan said:

Depends on the game, playstyle, and what you're used to.

Even on games that give you a legitimate advantage on a controller (For Honor, GTA V) I use KB/M because I grew up using those peripherals. I never had consoles as a kid.

*shrug*

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. I will admit, I do use Mouse/Keyboard for Touhou, even though I usually swear by PS1 pads (or similar) for shmups. IDK, just feels more right I guess.

I promise I'll get a mechanical keyboard some day. They're so... clicky!

Hate keyboard and mouse. Love controllers. I wish pc games could show me PlayStation buttons instead of Xbox ones, it's super annoying. I love just straight chilling, and selecting stuff with the controller (on an optimized menu, like 99% of video games) is faster

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke