New router, no internet connection

Lazarus23

Help needed!

I bought a new router, because my old one was slow and unstable. I properly connected all the cables to the new router and I don't have an internet connection. When I go to diagnose the ethernet adapter it says that "Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration". Even more strange thing is that when I connect my internet cable directly to my pc without a router it still doesn't connect to the internet, but then when I plug the old configuration through old router the internet is back. What the hell is going on? I've tried pretty much every solution I could find on the internet with no success.

Things that I've tried so far:
-double checked the cable connections
-turned the router on and off
-reset the router
-ran these commands in cmd and restarted:
(ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/renew
nbtstat –R
nbtstat –RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset)
-checked that the ipv4 and ipv6 are configured automatically (also tried some addresses that I found in forums)
-reinstalled windows
-plugged the internet cable directly into my other pc and still got the same error when diagnosed.

My old router: TP-LINK-WR740N (bought back in 2012)
New router: TP-LINK-C1200

Also the new router's globe icon is orange.

It sounds like the modem has been setup in bridged mode.

What you can test is go into the old router and find the WAN settings. Take the IP and Subnet and input them to the WAN settings on the new router. This should restore your Internet.

1 minute ago, ElectricModz said:

Have you reported to your Internet Provider that you have a new one?

If not, then you should

Why is that?

I realy dont know, but first, it is unclear to me

have you replaced the router or have you added one?

Just now, ElectricModz said:

I realy dont know, but first, it is unclear to me

have you replaced the router or have you added one?

I have replaced the old one.

6 minutes ago, ElectricModz said:

Have you reported to your Internet Provider that you have a new one?

If not, then you should

As far as I can tell this is not a modem. It requires no configuration file from the ISP. If it were the modem you would be correct in needing to contact the ISP.

Ok, then you have to report that, they will guide you through then, belive me I had to do this too

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

As far as I can tell this is not a modem. It requires no configuration file from the ISP. If it were the modem you would be correct in needing to contact the ISP.

2 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

I have replaced the old one.

It is cleared yay

What do you mean by that?

That I think the post is done m8

1 minute ago, ElectricModz said:

That I think the post is done m8

Read the original post again. He bought a NEW router and the NEW router isn't working.

Nothing has been fixed.

Again, it sounds like the modem somewhere else in the home/building has been configured in bridged mode. This disables DHCP which means the router won't get an IP. The old router SHOULD (I can't guarantee) contain his public IP & Subnet if it does he needs to input this into the WAN settings on the NEW router. This should restore the Internet.

25 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

Help needed!

I bought a new router, because my old one was slow and unstable. I properly connected all the cables to the new router and I don't have an internet connection. When I go to diagnose the ethernet adapter it says that "Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration". Even more strange thing is that when I connect my internet cable directly to my pc without a router it still doesn't connect to the internet, but then when I plug the old configuration through old router the internet is back. What the hell is going on? I've tried pretty much every solution I could find on the internet with no success.

Things that I've tried so far:
-double checked the cable connections
-turned the router on and off
-reset the router
-ran these commands in cmd and restarted:
(ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/renew
nbtstat –R
nbtstat –RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset)
-checked that the ipv4 and ipv6 are configured automatically (also tried some addresses that I found in forums)
-reinstalled windows
-plugged the internet cable directly into my other pc and still got the same error when diagnosed.

My old router: TP-LINK-WR740N (bought back in 2012)
New router: TP-LINK-C1200

Also the new router's globe icon is orange.

Hey, if you have had succes, tell us m8

Read the original post again. He bought a NEW router and the NEW router isn't working.

Nothing has been fixed.

Again, it sounds like the modem somewhere else in the home/building has been configured in bridged mode. This disables DHCP which means the router won't get an IP. The old router SHOULD (I can't guarantee) contain his public IP & Subnet if it does he needs to input this into the WAN settings on the NEW router. This should restore the Internet.

well if you think that, i was already thinking that it was not in bridge mode but in modem mode

(thats how I understood)

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Nothing has been fixed.

So do I need to change the internet connection from dynamic ip to static ip to change the address?

2 minutes ago, ElectricModz said:

well if you think that, i was already thinking that it was not in bridge mode but in modem mode

(thats how I understood)

Router ≠ Modem. They're two different devices but ISP provided equipment will commonly be a Modem/Router combo (the two functions in one box). If you look up the data sheet on this Router I see no functionality stating that it supports any form of Modem controls. Not even LTE (Cellular provided Internet).

It's just a router. A modem is required. I suspect there is one on the premises since Ethernet Internet isn't a broad standard it's mostly Fiber/Coax/DSL (phoneline).

14 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

So do I need to change the internet connection from dynamic ip to static ip to change the address?

I assume dynamic would be for the 192.168.0.0 network. First check if your old router has your public IP/Subnet. If it lets you put them in while set to Dynamic. Do that. If it has to be static to input them then set it to static.

If you do find the public IP's in the old router DO NOT POST THEM HERE! (It's a bad thing to do so, never post them on the Internet)

Just find the WAN settings. There should be one that says IPv4 and maybe IPv6. 1 or both will need to be added to the WAN settings in the new router.

If my hunch is correct you'll have Internet again.

22 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I assume dynamic would be for the 192.168.0.0 network. First check if your old router has your public IP/Subnet. If it lets you put them in while set to Dynamic. Do that. If it has to be static to input them then set it to static.

If you do find the public IP's in the old router DO NOT POST THEM HERE! (It's a bad thing to do so, never post them on the Internet)

Just find the WAN settings. There should be one that says IPv4 and maybe IPv6. 1 or both will need to be added to the WAN settings in the new router.

If my hunch is correct you'll have Internet again.

Lol so I contacted the isp and they said we see you trying to connect your new router for like 5 hours. They approved the new router right away and said that in the future always inform them when changing it. 

Your solution didn't work unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

Lol so I contacted the isp and they said we see you trying to connect your new router for like 5 hours. They approved the new router right away and said that in the future always inform them when changing it. 

Your solution didn't work unfortunately.

That's good to hear.

That does make me curious about how your network is setup though. Unless my own understanding is skewed (very likely). If the config file (approving the router) is FOR the router not the modem then I can see how contacting the ISP would be necessary. I'll have to research this more.

2 hours ago, LinusOnLine said:

Sounds like the IP was reserved for the old routers MAC adress. Something I have not seen in over 10 years.

I could imagine ISPs reverting to that if their IPv4 allocation is running out.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I could imagine ISPs reverting to that if their IPv4 allocation is running out.

I wish I could understand a little better of what you guys are saying, because it's an interesting discussion.

On 2/15/2019 at 6:52 AM, Lazarus23 said:

I wish I could understand a little better of what you guys are saying, because it's an interesting discussion.

Basically all IPv4 addresses (across the whole Internet) have been allocated now to ISPs, data centers, etc. So its possible for an ISP to run low on spare ones for their customers.  So allowing spare ones to automatically allocate to a new device/MAC address, without freeing up the old one, could be a problem.  Thus why they might lock it to the first device you plug in and require a call to reset it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7