Why am I so bad at Rocket League

Snifferdog3

hey all, currently in silver 2 in rocket league, but i feel as if im really bad, not even silver worthy, im fine in training (i can airdribble and stuff) but in a actual match im pathetic, i just seem to panic and i miss the ball even on easy shots! i watch tons of youtube videos on how to play rl but im still bad in comp matches! I just cant seem to think during a match, any suggestions to get better? currently about 100 hours of play time.

Sounds like you overthink the game. Just remember that it's a game and you're meant to enjoy it.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Only way to get better, as with pretty much everything, is to just keep playing. Maybe try changing up your tactics, hold back a bit more or attack a bit more and find what works.

Definitely don't rage quit if you start losing. Even if all your team quits, keep playing. I made a point of playing every match to the end, even if I ended up losing 10 - 0 because I got so fed up with everyone rage quitting in Rocket League as soon as they started to lose. Playing against people better than you helps you improve.

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Only way to get better, as with pretty much everything, is to just keep playing. Maybe try changing up your tactics, hold back a bit more or attack a bit more and find what works.

Definitely don't rage quit if you start losing. Even if all your team quits, keep playing. I made a point of playing every match to the end, even if I ended up losing 10 - 0 because I got so fed up with everyone rage quitting in Rocket League as soon as they started to lose. Playing against people better than you helps you improve.

I have a friend who is diamond 2 and he helps me alot. thanks for the tips, I guess just keep practising and dont give up then :)

5 minutes ago, martward said:

Sounds like you overthink the game. Just remember that it's a game and you're meant to enjoy it.

I think that could be true, I do think i am overthinking it a bit.

9 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Keep playing. The more time you dedicate to it, the more you will get accustomed to being on the field, and not panic.

yes, i think its mainly down to practising, and not giving up, thanks :) 

I can't air dribble and I'm at champion level in doubles. Diamond everywhere else. I think your issue may be you are trying to do too many flashy moves in a game when you could simplify it up? Just my $0.02

20 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

hey all, currently in silver 2 in rocket league, but i feel as if im really bad, not even silver worthy, im fine in training (i can airdribble and stuff) but in a actual match im pathetic, i just seem to panic and i miss the ball even on easy shots! i watch tons of youtube videos on how to play rl but im still bad in comp matches! I just cant seem to think during a match, any suggestions to get better? currently about 100 hours of play time.

First off, don't be too hard on yourself. This game takes thousands of hours to master. I have close to 500 hours and I'm in the Plat struggle and Diamond players are noticeably better. Just takes time.

Honestly, even though it doesn't give you XP and people would kind of make fun of you for it... just play against the bots to start. There is a lot to learn and practice. I started with 2v2, then went up to 2 bots vs me only, then I went to 3v1. Started at pro and moved to all-star 3 bots vs me. When you can consistently win against them, then you are definitely better than silver. But it's not easy. Dealing with three all-star bots is constantly challenging. It will quickly teach you how to kickoff, get the boost, and get back to defend. And it will insanely improve your defensive skills.  I found 4v1 to be doable but very unfair.

Another thing that helped me improve slightly is learning what to do and how to position myself. I learned this by watching pro players... not their tutorials.... just the pro players doing pro things. There is a massive tournament this upcoming weekend with all the big players from North America and Europe.

Butttttttttt also, as others have said... just have fun. 100 hours into an e-sport game is way too early to be concerned about the grind. 

Blame it on lag

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

You know, there's a psychological phenomenon that says people who are bad at something will perceive themselves as good at it, while people who are good at something perceive getting bad at it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 2/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Blame it on lag

Yes, if only I could, you see im running max settings at over 100fps ??? Although I do get some bad latency variation, even though my internet is 50mbps> and running on ethernet, so I guess I could get away with that excuse :P

On 2/12/2019 at 4:25 PM, fasauceome said:

You know, there's a psychological phenomenon that says people who are bad at something will perceive themselves as good at it, while people who are good at something perceive getting bad at it.

Hmmm, I like the sound of that ?

Just got to gold as well so I'm definitely improving, trying to do what martward said and not overthinking it, seems to be helping, also like john t said watching rlcs season 6 has helped so much, one thing I've noticed is they don't do fancy airdribbles much, mainly airials. Thanks for the tips guys

On 2/12/2019 at 4:07 PM, NinJake said:

I can't air dribble and I'm at champion level in doubles. Diamond everywhere else. I think your issue may be you are trying to do too many flashy moves in a game when you could simplify it up? Just my $0.02

Yes, I think your right, I've been trying to stop thinking about doing fancy things and just focus on doing what's needed, not making it look "cool". Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Yes, if only I could, you see im running max settings at over 100fps ??? Although I do get some bad latency variation, even though my internet is 50mbps> and running on ethernet, so I guess I could get away with that excuse :P

Well the enemies don’t know that you have good internet ?

even when hen I have 12 ping, I just say the servers are broken 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

3 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Well the enemies don’t know that you have good internet ?

even when hen I have 12 ping, I just say the servers are broken 

Lol, yes my ping usually sits about 30, I believe I fixed the latency variation the other day as I set the region to Europe (I live in the UK) instead of recommended, haven't had a problem since! Just ranked up to gold 2 div 2 now!!! Your tips are working guys, especially watching the pros on YouTube has helped a huge amount! Really appreciate it guys!