Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TylerMH1996

SSD + HDD Combo Question

10 minutes ago, TylerMH1996 said:

If I have an SSD and an HDD setup, SSD being where my operating system is installed, will downloading files to the desktop save the files to the SSD since the desktop is part of the OS?

Yup it will be saved on SSD unless u change the default storage location.

U can change storage directory in Windows -> Settings -> System -> Storage -> More Storage Option -> Change where new content is saved. :)

Posted · Original PosterOP

If I have an SSD and an HDD setup, SSD being where my operating system is installed, will downloading files to the desktop save the files to the SSD since the desktop is part of the OS?

Well it depends what you are downloading if you are downloading a program 9 times out of 10 it will let you choose what drive you use

Case: Thermaltake Core G21, CPU: Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4ghz, CPU Cooler: first gen wraith cooler, Power supply: 600w seasonic 80+ gold, Motherboard: M4A87TD/USB3, GPU: Gtx 780 twin frozer OC edition Ram: 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz, HDD: WD blue 1 TB, SSD: Kingston A400 240gb

You can reroute where folders are in windows, desktop im not 100% sure about, but I know you can change the location of each of the other folders such as downloads, music, etc.

Hi how are ya

Posted · Best Answer
10 minutes ago, TylerMH1996 said:

U can change storage directory in Windows -> Settings -> System -> Storage -> More Storage Option -> Change where new content is saved. :)

MY RIG : PRECISIONE 

|| MOTHERBOARD : Gigabyte H310M-H HDMI and VGA Port Ultra Durable Motherboard ||

|| RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 LPX 2400MHz C16 RAM Kit ||

|| PROCESSOR : Intel Core i5-8400 BX80684I58400 Processor ||

|| GRAPHICS : Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6GB WindForce 2x with Blades Graphics Card ||

|| CASE : Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower Steel Gaming Case ||

|| S.S.D : Western Digital WDS240G1G0A 240GB Internal Solid-State Drive (Green) ||

|| H.D.D : Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Internal Hard Drive for Desktop (Blue) ||

|| P.S.U : Corsair Power Supplies, TX650M 650W CP-9020132-NA ||

|| CASE FANS : Circle Stay Cool CG-12 120MM Red x 3,Blue,Green LED Case Cabinet Fan || 

|| FAN CONNECTOR : XCSOURCE 4Pin to SATA Power Supply 10-Way Fan Splitter AC1312 ||

|| UPS : APC BX1100C-IN 1100VA 230V UPS || 

|| MOUSE : Night Hawk NM101 FPS Gaming RGB Mouse ||

|| KEYBOARD : Cosmic Byte CB-GK-02 Corona Wired Gaming RGB Keyboard ||

|| LED LIGHTS : MVP Gaming LED Strip with Molex Connector(Red) x 2 ||

|| WIFI ADAPTER : TP-Link TL-WN823N 300Mbps Mini Wireless-N USB Adapter(Black) ||

|| MONITOR : Dell 21.5 inch Full HD, IPS Panel S2218H(Black) ||

LAPTOP

|| MODEL : Dell Inspiron 7720 Special Edition || 

|| RAM : 8 GB DDR3 || 

|| PROCESSOR : i7 3630QM Quad Core 8 Threads ||

|| SSD : 240 GB Western DIgital Green (No HDD) ||

|| KEYBOARD : Logitech K230 Wireless Keyboard ||

|| MOUSE : Logitech M235 Wireless Mouse || 

8 minutes ago, TylerMH1996 said:

In windows, yeah, saving to the desktop will typically be part of the C drive by default which would be your SSD in this case. But it's easy enough to choose to save the files elsewhere if you want. You could even create a shortcut to those files and put the shortcut on the desktop for ease of access, while they remain saved on your HDD instead of the SSD, thus saving space on your SSD.

if you open up file explorer to "this pc" it has shortcuts to videos pictures desktop etc. right click on desktop folder and select properties, click on the location tab, then click the move button, set it to a folder on your hdd (typically create a new folder labeled desktop), it'll ask you if you want to move everything already there over as well.

i5 6600k i7 7700k @ 4.8 GHz | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Asus Z170-A | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB ddr4-3000 | Samsung 950 pro nvme | EVGA Supernova B2 850W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | cheap ram | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | XFX Radeon HD 6850 | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Terabyte_272 said:

Well it depends what you are downloading if you are downloading a program 9 times out of 10 it will let you choose what drive you use

So is there a way to set the default download/install drive to the HDD so that a customer doesn't have to manually select the HDD every time? Right now whenever they try to install a program it automatically asks to install to the SSD. They would like it to automatically download to the HDD without having to switch the drive location from the SSD to the HDD.  

1 minute ago, Tech Guru said:

Yes saving to the desktop is C:\Users\%Username%\Desktop. You can reroute where folders go for any and all folders including desktop. Most are through Reg Key Modifications or Local Group Policy (Pro Operating Systems).

A common use of that is Folder Redirection in Windows and Active Directory Domains.

Most programs by nature will assume C:\ , keeping in mind programs installed to your HDD will run from your HDD, so if you need the speed of the SSD say for a game you need to install it to the SSD.

Just now, TylerMH1996 said:

So is there a way to set the default download/install drive to the HDD so that a customer doesn't have to manually select the HDD every time? Right now whenever they try to install a program it automatically asks to install to the SSD. They would like it to automatically download to the HDD without having to switch the drive location from the SSD to the HDD.  

Sony Vaio's back in the day had some type of workaround that everything would install to a different partition so there might be a way. None that come to mind

14 minutes ago, TylerMH1996 said:

Thank you all! I appreciate all the responses. Got it sorted out! 🙌

Great news, I always set up my windows user folders to relocate to the storage drive, even tho my boot drive is 240GB I still do it as my storage drive is 4TB...