Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

It seems like there is a way to get it running under Linux (Source: reddit)

I think they are talking about this, but I am not sure. The repo doesn't directly mention the P106.

I have only one question: In the first video Linus said the Taobao card have special firmware, and in the second video they used same P106 with success.

Is it possible to use any second market P106 (not only Taobao) with this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, MaxMaxxon said:

I have only one question: In the first video Linus said the Taobao card have special firmware, and in the second video they used same P106 with success.

Is it possible to use any second market P106 (not only Taobao) with this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Great questions. I'd wanna know too. Again because I can buy one locally with a Zotac Brand, but dno if I should.
There are too many unanswered questions at the moment.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

Is there a way to force the whole Windows install to use the P106 for output? 

Plus, any answers to the Linux part of things?

Because, if this is as good as the video points out, at THAT price, and doesn't get me banned on any competitive games, I don't see why this couldn't be an upgrade from my R9 380.

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

3 hours ago, Noim said:

I think they are talking about this, but I am not sure. The repo doesn't directly mention the P106.

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmm what it seems is just a patch for unlocking multiple realtime encoding and decoding capabilities on consumer GPU's, nothing regarging the P106

24 minutes ago, slanensis said:

Plus, any answers to the Linux part of things?

Nope we were talking about that earlier

2 hours ago, MaxMaxxon said:

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Great questions. I'd wanna know too. Again because I can buy one locally with a Zotac Brand, but dno if I should.
There are too many unanswered questions at the moment.

Linus thought they did, but it turns out that no, they don't have special firmware.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Hi, do i need that chinese P106 or any of p106 will work? 

Thanks

if this ends up working would i possibly gain fps if i tried sli the p106 with my gigabyte gtx 960 g1 gaming 4gb overclocked

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Linus thought they did, but it turns out that no, they don't have special firmware.

Thank you for clarifying that!!

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

I have to wonder.

The original setup was using the P106 as the main GPU but outputting over the onboard video out.

The attempt to SLI the P106 with a 1060 didn't work out.

BUT, would it be possible to install two P106's with the hacked drivers, then SLI those, while still outputting video over the onboard video out ports?

Because if you could... that's a lot of power for a very small amount of money.

As far as limitations go about using nvidia control panel, you could try throwing a third card in of a different generation (or the same), but only enabling SLI on the P106's, i recall a long time ago having two GTX 580's and a GTX 460, and running the 580's in SLI with the 460 as physx slave, so in rough theory, the third card would be used to bypass the control panels demand for video output, allowing you to go in and setup SLI between the two P106's, then use the original method to run the cards through the onboard video connector.

10 minutes ago, AW11Ghost said:

I have to wonder.

The original setup was using the P106 as the main GPU but outputting over the onboard video out.

The attempt to SLI the P106 with a 1060 didn't work out.

BUT, would it be possible to install two P106's with the hacked drivers, then SLI those, while still outputting video over the onboard video out ports?

Because if you could... that's a lot of power for a very small amount of money.

......wondering same. 2 x P106 in SLI = cheaper gooderer FPS hazzing :)

6 hours ago, keepwalkn said:

I bought one of these cards off Ebay in Australia (the guy is selling them for $100 AUD and no mucking about with Taobao) as I decided to use it for an emulation PC - works a treat in Windows and had no real issues. Don't care that the driver isn't signed either!

Then I decided to give it a crack with SteamOS to see if I could have a nicer interface whilst still making use of the P106 for 3D acceleration. Haven't had a vast amount of success so far (Bumblebee keeps saying it can't access the secondary GPU), but more than happy to work with someone who's keen to get this running on Linux if anyone wants to give this a crack.

One other thing I read somewhere was that apparently if you buy one of those weird ass mobile processors that Linus covered in an older video then the system sees this all as a standard mobile/Optimus set up so that's something I could be tempted to try too.

I think I probably bought the same one off the dude in NSW - $100 AUD with a fiver off using PUSH5 as the code. $14 postage.

Does it need the specially modified firmware? Do we have to worry about that being an attack vector?

2 hours ago, psyolent said:

I think I probably bought the same one off the dude in NSW - $100 AUD with a fiver off using PUSH5 as the code. $14 postage.

Tell me how this goes. Can't order on time from Taobao due to Chinese New Year.

I think I just saw this listing too, "Colourful P106-100 6GB Graphic Card NO Video output Nvdia GTX 1060 Mining ONLY", but the seller took it off at 8:28 AM just a hour ago, maybe he got an influx of interest due to these videos and plans to re-list for more?

yeah odd, must have been heaps of interest. the only listing now is $399 AUD. :|

Given that the ass has fallen out of mining lately, maybe nvidia and it's partners should remove the driver restrictions and market these as egpu cards instead? I mean hell, if you wanted a really cheap and effective egpu, aside from the driver fiddling, the P106 is ideal, no money wasted on ports you aren't going to use, or anything

14 hours ago, psyolent said:

Yep, same dude! He'd sold about 60-odd when I grabbed one.

Looks like I've had a win switching to Ubuntu 18.04 and using nvidia-prime as suggested in here.

Installed Steam and from the below output it looks like it's working!

P106-100.JPG

2 hours ago, keepwalkn said:

Yep, same dude! He'd sold about 60-odd when I grabbed one.

Looks like I've had a win switching to Ubuntu 18.04 and using nvidia-prime as suggested in here.

Installed Steam and from the below output it looks like it's working!

P106-100.JPG

Maybe plex will also work with it, or?

20 minutes ago, Noim said:

Maybe plex will also work with it, or?

The cards are cheap enough that I'd try it. I know I can run things in Windows and Ubuntu seemed to work fine without too much hassle.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, asdf2345 said:

Would it be possible to modify the drivers of consumer GPU's, such as the GTX 970, to output 10-bit color or to take advantage of features that Quadro cards can use?

I wanna go the other way. I have 2 Quadro P5000 12GB in SLI right now, but Quadros don't support gamestream. I don't do anything professional with these cards, and I just wanna run them as 980Tis. Everything I see is A) 5+ years old and B) about how to go from GeForce -> Quadro, not the other way around.

I have a few issues. 

For one, note that I'm running W10 Education. 

I couldn't find "79050fba6b240e" in HxD, I found "79050fba6b100b"

I still changed the value anyway.

After running the script, I got a jarbled video output, but managed to replace the modified sys file with the original.

What now?

I got it working on driver 417.71. Do I now disable testsigning and nointegritychecks? It seems like doing that breaks this hack, as my cards don't show up as functioning in device manager. In test mode, I can't start Rainbow Six Siege, since BattleEye doesn't support test mode. What should I be doing once everything is 'working?'

Hi, I'm completly new on this topic and i'd likz to know if i can use a p106 with my system because i don't have any integrated gpu....

R5 2600X

GTX1070 EXOC

16Gb DDR4

I'd like to use the p106 as another gpu, the 1070 for certain software and the p106 for other ones. And maybe for SLI (when it will works) as I see in the last LTT video about the p106

thanks in advance

11 hours ago, Devlafford said:

I have a few issues. 

For one, note that I'm running W10 Education. 

I couldn't find "79050fba6b240e" in HxD, I found "79050fba6b100b"

I still changed the value anyway.

After running the script, I got a jarbled video output, but managed to replace the modified sys file with the original.

What now?

I got it working on driver 417.71. Do I now disable testsigning and nointegritychecks? It seems like doing that breaks this hack, as my cards don't show up as functioning in device manager. In test mode, I can't start Rainbow Six Siege, since BattleEye doesn't support test mode. What should I be doing once everything is 'working?'

I mentioned it in briefly in the video, but there is a way to sign the driver yourself so you can disable testsigning - Try this: http://woshub.com/how-to-sign-an-unsigned-driver-for-windows-7-x64/

1 hour ago, zikkz said:

@GabenJr Do you think this method would also work with an eGPU dock?

It should. SLI in particular though might not be ideal over the 4x link...

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I mentioned it in briefly in the video, but there is a way to sign the driver yourself so you can disable testsigning - Try this: http://woshub.com/how-to-sign-an-unsigned-driver-for-windows-7-x64/

I followed this tutorial and it woked perfectly.

Games like Rainow Six Siege doesn't allow you to play in test mode because of the anticheat system. 

Today I'll try to (hardware) dump the flash of my Palit P106-100 and then try to (hardware) flash the rom of a Palit GTX 1060 6GB Dual.
I'll report here how it goes ?

UPDATE: flashed the 1060 rom, the card still works but still gets recognized with ID 1C07