Overclocking my fx-8350 for 4k Gaming?

avrona
18 minutes ago, avrona said:

I don't have the money for any updates, so that's why I want to see if overclocking is an option.

yes you can overclock on your current setup.

I wouldn't do it personally, due to the the power supply. If you had a meter you could plug you system to see total power draw stock, then i might feel a little better about OCing since you'd have a better idea of how much power headroom you have. My guess is little to none.

Your cooler sounds sufficient for a  moderate overclock.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

55 minutes ago, Joelw2003 said:

In that case I'd overclock as much as possible and get upgrade when you've got money

Is it really worth upgrading at all though?

3 hours ago, avrona said:

Yes, the FX processors even have a law suit over them that's been allowed to continue by a judge since there performance was so bad from what was advertised. 

On 1/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, Finwillwin said:

Even then, you could sell that FX stuff, get 2400g and get way better performance.  I don't think overclocking would be worth the heat 

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G-vs-AMD-FX-8350/m441832vs1489

-snip-

why a G tho he has a 1080Ti it's not like he needs graphics..... a 1300 maybe but with a 1080Ti is still really unbalanced

also userbenchmark isn't a real benchmark, with this said 

I wouldn't consider a 2400G a decent upgrade, it's just not worth it even if it's cheap the performance increase AT 4K will be just minimal and I'd dare to say similar, if you were playing at 1080p/1440p maybe it'd be worth, with a 1600 or greater... well that would be a different story there

You could overclock the 8350 but the board will hold you back, the PSU will also limit you, not worth either, you could try to push it to 4.4GHz but not further

op just save some money until you can get a mid/high-end X470 and a 2600 or 2700 with 2933MHz RAM it will be expensive yeah but a real upgrade 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Yes, the FX processors even have a law suit over them that's been allowed to continue by a judge since there performance was so bad from what was advertised. 

Just because of that it doesn't mean it's bad though. I get great performance with it so it can't be that bad.

8 hours ago, aezakmi said:

why a G tho he has a 1080Ti it's not like he needs graphics..... a 1300 maybe but with a 1080Ti is still really unbalanced

also userbenchmark isn't a real benchmark, with this said 

I wouldn't consider a 2400G a decent upgrade, it's just not worth it even if it's cheap the performance increase AT 4K will be just minimal and I'd dare to say similar, if you were playing at 1080p/1440p maybe it'd be worth, with a 1600 or greater... well that would be a different story there

You could overclock the 8350 but the board will hold you back, the PSU will also limit you, not worth either, you could try to push it to 4.4GHz but not further

op just save some money until you can get a mid/high-end X470 and a 2600 or 2700 with 2933MHz RAM it will be expensive yeah but a real upgrade 

Well it is a gaming PC, so I definitely need graphics, and that's why I have a 1080 Ti. 

Also is it really worth upgrading in the first place? I thought of potentially saving up for a 2700x on a B450 board but then I started wondering if I could just overclock a bit instead.

39 minutes ago, avrona said:

Just because of that it doesn't mean it's bad though. I get great performance with it so it can't be that bad.

Well it is a gaming PC, so I definitely need graphics, and that's why I have a 1080 Ti. 

Also is it really worth upgrading in the first place? I thought of potentially saving up for a 2700x on a B450 board but then I started wondering if I could just overclock a bit instead.

A gaming PC doesn't always require the best GPU. The resolution is what determines what kind of gpu you need to run games. At 1080p with a 1080 Ti  your frame rate will be dependent on your CPU. Overclocking the FX CPU so help give you a little more performance out of it, but overall the CPU falls short of what was promised out of it and is easily stomped by the performance we see from the same generation Intel processors. The FX CPU I would even say was ahead of its time. CPU technology was not ready for more than quad core technology but now we can see from the success from Ryzen that multi core processors do work and we also see increased core counts from Intel. This doesn't change that the FX processors were a flop from what they should have been but it is an I treasti g thing to think about it.

3 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

A gaming PC doesn't always require the best GPU. The resolution is what determines what kind of gpu you need to run games. At 1080p with a 1080 Ti  your frame rate will be dependent on your CPU. Overclocking the FX CPU so help give you a little more performance out of it, but overall the CPU falls short of what was promised out of it and is easily stomped by the performance we see from the same generation Intel processors. The FX CPU I would even say was ahead of its time. CPU technology was not ready for more than quad core technology but now we can see from the success from Ryzen that multi core processors do work and we also see increased core counts from Intel. This doesn't change that the FX processors were a flop from what they should have been but it is an I treasti g thing to think about it.

So if that's 1080p, what is it like at 4k, which is what I play at?

So if that's 1080p, what is it like at 4k, which is what I play at?

As you up the resolution your frame rate will become more dependent on your GPU. At lower resolutions the GPU does less work and sends more frames to the CPU every second but as the up the resolution the GPU need to do more work and sends less frames and can create a better balance between your GPU and CPU. Upping the resolution won't remove the load on the CPU to still do instructions its required to run your game though.

38 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

As you up the resolution your frame rate will become more dependent on your GPU. At lower resolutions the GPU does less work and sends more frames to the CPU every second but as the up the resolution the GPU need to do more work and sends less frames and can create a better balance between your GPU and CPU. Upping the resolution won't remove the load on the CPU to still do instructions its required to run your game though.

So basically you're just agreeing to what I already said that at 4k I have great performance as I have a 1080 ti?

13 hours ago, avrona said:

Yeah but you don't need graphics embedded into your CPU since you already have a dedicated card

Do save for the 2700 (x is just the same as 2700 except is binned and has a higher stock clock) but with a 470 board, most if not all 450s are meant for Ryzen 3 and 5 and have weaker VRMs and different power designs. You can overclock the 8350 up to 4.4GHz with your current board and I'd say with 1.4V or less.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

Yeah but you don't need graphics embedded into your CPU since you already have a dedicated card

Do save for the 2700 (x is just the same as 2700 except is binned and has a higher stock clock) but with a 470 board, most if not all 450s are meant for Ryzen 3 and 5 and have weaker VRMs and different power designs. You can overclock the 8350 up to 4.4GHz with your current board and I'd say with 1.4V or less.

But again, will it be worth upgrading to a 2700/x at all if I'm already getting such good performance? 

1 minute ago, avrona said:

But again, will it be worth upgrading to a 2700/x at all if I'm already getting such good performance? 

only if you want more performance

let's say 144 fps

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

only if you want more performance

let's say 144 fps

And my monitor is a 60Hz one anyway.

As an FX 8350 gamer, with a Ryzen 7 1700 gaming system as well right next to it - yall are spending ALL your time thrashing this CPU when...its 8 core FPU sharing issue isn't a thing in gaming.  

@avrona I have a similar setup but the better motherboard.  The problem you WILL run into is temps with that system at overclock.  You are, imho, going to want to upgrade that CPU cooler at a minimum.  The thing is, even at 4.7 ghz you aren't going to even gain but maybe 5% more frames, so weigh the value of a good cooler vs the OC performance upgrade.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

10 hours ago, avrona said:

So basically you're just agreeing to what I already said that at 4k I have great performance as I have a 1080 ti?

Yes, but even so your CPU will struggle in many modern titles simple because it does not have the resources necessary to keep up with them. A 1080 TI will allow you to run at higher resolution without having your frame rate tank down into the 10s and 20s but it doesn't mean your CPU will keep up with it. A good gaming PC needs a good mix between its GPU and CPU. I can have the best GPU in the world but that doesn't mean I can run certain games. Some games are more optimized than other towards the GPU or the CPU, which is why I say you need a balance between the two. 

On 1/24/2019 at 10:36 PM, RAM555789 said:

Yes, but even so your CPU will struggle in many modern titles simple because it does not have the resources necessary to keep up with them. A 1080 TI will allow you to run at higher resolution without having your frame rate tank down into the 10s and 20s but it doesn't mean your CPU will keep up with it. A good gaming PC needs a good mix between its GPU and CPU. I can have the best GPU in the world but that doesn't mean I can run certain games. Some games are more optimized than other towards the GPU or the CPU, which is why I say you need a balance between the two. 

Well it's managing really well with more modern games, with frames frames between 50-60 with v sync on.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:15 PM, Tristerin said:

As an FX 8350 gamer, with a Ryzen 7 1700 gaming system as well right next to it - yall are spending ALL your time thrashing this CPU when...its 8 core FPU sharing issue isn't a thing in gaming.  

@avrona I have a similar setup but the better motherboard.  The problem you WILL run into is temps with that system at overclock.  You are, imho, going to want to upgrade that CPU cooler at a minimum.  The thing is, even at 4.7 ghz you aren't going to even gain but maybe 5% more frames, so weigh the value of a good cooler vs the OC performance upgrade.

And I don't really need to much of an upgrade anyway, as my performance is already pretty good. This would be just for the few games that don't yet reach 60FPS, along with it being a bit of a future-proofing measure. 

2 hours ago, avrona said:

And I don't really need to much of an upgrade anyway, as my performance is already pretty good. This would be just for the few games that don't yet reach 60FPS, along with it being a bit of a future-proofing measure. 

100%

I would find yourself the cheapest 240mm AIO cooler you can if it fits in your case, or the best air cooler on your budget.  The thing puts off a lot of heat but crunches a lot of numbers at the same time :)

You can find a lot of youtube guides that will give you basic settings to try for OCing that chip

BTW - in Anthem at high settings at 1600x900 (my pref resolution) I vsync at 60 FPS with my "shitty" chip and rig in my sig...Just makes me wonder when 60fps on high in a very detailed game became unacceptable.  My CPU is barely breaking a sweat, its my GPU holding me back....it on the other hand are pegged at 99-100% utilization lol.  CPU spiked 1 time to 78% utilization (on one core of ? but basically its at 40-60% usage during max gameplay...I only caught a couple hitches (need to go to medium settings, the CPU didn't peg out, the GPU lost headroom) but that was ONLY during the epic raid mob battle we did last night when it would Ulti on us.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I feel like a lot of people see you have a fx 8350 and would just tell you, you need to upgrade it, but at 4k your gpu matters more than your cpu. If your gpu is at 95-100% under load while playing games at 4k then your cpu isn't really bottlenecking your gpu  at all. If you want to overclock your fx 8350 it can easily achieve 4.5ghz, but if you want to go higher you will need better cpu cooler and watch out your motherboard vrm temps too. Since you are trying to overclock your fx 8350 there's plenty of guides on how to do it.

5 hours ago, Remesy said:

I feel like a lot of people see you have a fx 8350 and would just tell you, you need to upgrade it, but at 4k your gpu matters more than your cpu. If your gpu is at 95-100% under load while playing games at 4k then your cpu isn't really bottlenecking your gpu  at all. If you want to overclock your fx 8350 it can easily achieve 4.5ghz, but if you want to go higher you will need better cpu cooler and watch out your motherboard vrm temps too. Since you are trying to overclock your fx 8350 there's plenty of guides on how to do it.

So what kind of cooler would you recommend? Will a dual-fan one be ok or should I get something like a AIO cooler?

I would start out with doing a bit of research first. Some tips and answerd:

* Overclocking the CPU Will work of it is bottlenecking your system. It is likely but Just use a monitoring tool and game a little bit and see if the CPU is under 100% load and the GPU is not. If answer is yes, then overclocking Will work.

* Your psu is not the best grade. So when checking your system with the monitoring tool look how much power (watts) your system is drawing and off set that to the 550 w you have available. 2 things software monitoring is not 100% accurate (not at All accurate) so use It as a rough estimate and 2nd do not stress your psu to 100% as a general rule.

* When overclocking make sure you have monitored your system temps. If they are too high allready (above 70 degrees as a rough guestimate though that CPU might be a little bit higher, look the temps up by googling) do not overclock but invest in cooling first (either in money or in airflow optimalization with existing coolers / better cable manager, however the latter Will not optimize a lot if you have not made a big mess of it).

* When New to overclocking, check the warranty requirements on your hardware and of overclocking voids it. If it does wait for the warranty to expire before trying overclocking.

Leave it for what it is now. As you say yourself, it’s working.

Start saving and get yourself the new Ryzen 3000 once launched Q3 2019 somewhere. Will pair beautifully with your GPU ! @avrona (also save for MoBo + ram + PSU)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

19 minutes ago, Destregan said:

I would start out with doing a bit of research first. Some tips and answerd:

* Overclocking the CPU Will work of it is bottlenecking your system. It is likely but Just use a monitoring tool and game a little bit and see if the CPU is under 100% load and the GPU is not. If answer is yes, then overclocking Will work.

* Your psu is not the best grade. So when checking your system with the monitoring tool look how much power (watts) your system is drawing and off set that to the 550 w you have available. 2 things software monitoring is not 100% accurate (not at All accurate) so use It as a rough estimate and 2nd do not stress your psu to 100% as a general rule.

* When overclocking make sure you have monitored your system temps. If they are too high allready (above 70 degrees as a rough guestimate though that CPU might be a little bit higher, look the temps up by googling) do not overclock but invest in cooling first (either in money or in airflow optimalization with existing coolers / better cable manager, however the latter Will not optimize a lot if you have not made a big mess of it).

* When New to overclocking, check the warranty requirements on your hardware and of overclocking voids it. If it does wait for the warranty to expire before trying overclocking.

I do know how to overclock and what to look for in it, it's my issue was since I've never personally done it, I'm not sure if I have a good enough PSU, mobo, and cooling solution for overclocking.

11 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Leave it for what it is now. As you say yourself, it’s working.

Start saving and get yourself the new Ryzen 3000 once launched Q3 2019 somewhere. Will pair beautifully with your GPU ! @avrona (also save for MoBo + ram + PSU)

I do know I'll need a new mobo and RAM already, and a new PSU would just be an unnecessary extra from what I've seen on a previous thread of mine, but even with or without it, it would still be a huge amount of money for me, so I want to see if I can overclock my current CPU first.

4 hours ago, avrona said:

So what kind of cooler would you recommend? Will a dual-fan one be ok or should I get something like a AIO cooler?

Something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo should be good enough for 4.5ghz, it isn't worth spending money on a single 120 AIO. I think your psu should be fine, but it'll be cutting it really close. 

14 hours ago, Remesy said:

Something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo should be good enough for 4.5ghz, it isn't worth spending money on a single 120 AIO. I think your psu should be fine, but it'll be cutting it really close. 

Yeah I doubt I need to go over 4.5 anyway. There's only a few games right now that don't reach 60FPS.